Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

VGA Card Circuit Diagram for GD-5420

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VGA Card Circuit Diagram for GD-5420

Hello, I have been exploring options for creating a VGA card for the PC-Retro from scratch and there is alot of terrific information available from the S-100 guys and Sergey. (Thanks!) I just happened to come across this manual for a Winsystems VGA card that not only includes a parts list, it also has the circuit schematic. I don't know if this is already well known and out there, but this is the first time I've seen it... so here is a link to the PDF for reference.

http://www.winsystems.com/manuals/LPMMCM-SVGA.pdf

Michael

and just were are you going to source a gd-5420 chip

Comment

Originally posted by mmruzek View Post
      I just happened to come across this manual for a Winsystems VGA card that not only includes a parts list, it also has the circuit schematic.
      I think S-100 guys design is based on that schematic. The only problem (or rather an uncertainty) is why they are using MD0-MD15 lines... According to Cirrus Logic datasheets and manual these signals are not implemented on CL-GD5420. If it is true, it makes a half of the video memory useless.

If I am not mistaken the maximal memory supported by CL-GD5420 is 1 MiB in 512 K x 16 configuration (usually implemented using a couple of 512 K x 8 DRAMs), while other CL-GD542x controllers can use 256 K x 32 configuration (usually implemented using eight 256 K x 4 DRAMs, or on newer cards using a couple of 256 K x 16 DRAMs). This provides twice the memory bandwidth - 32 bit channel instead of 16 bit.

But it is possible that later revisions of CL-GD5420 supported 32 bit memory... not sure.

It looks like I am getting closer to the end of my previous project (ISA FDC card and the related BIOS extension). And if nothing else happens an ISA VGA controller will be my next project.

Comment

Hi
        Yes, the Winsystems schematic was a reference guide but not the only source of information. The S-100 VGA and its ISA VGA prototype both use the 32 bit RAM access. The ISA VGA does work and has taught us quite a bit about why the S-100 VGA is not working. I suspect the real insight though is how the ISA VGA works on the 8 bit ISA and we'll end up using something like that to fix the S-100 VGA. As it is now, it is a pure 16 bit board and the differences between ISA-16 and S-100 16 bit accesses appear to be the root problem.

I think the ISA VGA design could easily be modified for a board on its own. We used it as a prototype to debug the S-100 VGA but that wouldn't stop it from being useful on the ISA bus. I think a lot of debugging components would just come off altogether. You are free to use the ISA VGA information we have on the N8VEM wiki including all the KiCAD EDA files.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Comment

I did some research and it looks like the revision B of CL-GD5420 (part name: CL-GD5420-75QC-B) does support 32-bit memory interface. Likely the following revisions (e.g. rev. C) also support it.

And so it seems that eight 256 Kbit x 4 DRAM chips is the most flexible configuration supporting from 256 KB (two chips) to 1 MB (8 chips). These chips are also cheaply available (about $2.5 / each).

I hope to have an initial ISA SVGA schematic version later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by sergey View Post
            I hope to have an initial ISA SVGA schematic version later this week.
            Well, it took me a bit longer. The schematic is here:
            http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-...s/isa-supervga

I changed my mind regarding the SVGA chip, and this design uses Trident TVGA8900i IC.
            The reasons for this decision are:
            - Trident TVGA8900i is a known 8-bit friendly chip. CL-GD542x might work with 8-bit bus, but it is not completely clear if it will work with latched address lines (SA17-SA19 instead of LA17-LA19).
            - Trident's BIOS uses only 8088 instructions, while Cirrus Logic uses some 186+ instructions, and I don't feel like disassembling the BIOS and modifying it to use only 8088 instructions.
            - If I remember correctly Trident was very good with emulating older video cards (CGA, Hercules).
            - It looks like Utsource has more TVGA8900I-1(-2,-3) ICs in stock than CL-GD5420. Other suppliers seem to have it too.

Current schematic is based on JA-8237A/V2 card (minus 16-bit ISA part). Please let me know if you happen to have a TVGA8900i card, as I want to verify values of a few capacitors.

Thanks,
            Sergey

Comment

Sergey, This is terrific! I have been trying to source the CL-GD542X video chips in larger quantity for the PC-Retro project and was only able to find them at UT source for about $15 each, as you mention. Also, I completely agree with the desire to avoid disassembly and modification of the video BIOS for the Cirrus Logic chip.

Also, I will look in my VGA card collection to see what I have from Trident. Looking at a photo on EBAY it appears this video board uses mostly surface mount components.
              Last edited by mmruzek; January 24, 2013, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmruzek View Post
                Looking at a photo on EBAY it appears this video board uses mostly surface mount components.
                That was exactly my problem. I was able to reconstruct the schematic looking at the board and at the TVGA9000i datasheet, except of SMT capacitors, that don't have values printed on them. Fortunately yesterday I picked up another TVGA9000i card at the local surplus store (nice place, BTW), that uses through hole components.

I am working on the PCB layout now, depending on the available time it might take anything from a few days to a week or two.
                In parallel we can check prices and availability of TVGA9000i (I think TVGA9000I-3 was the latest, with some bugs fixed).

Once PCB layout is finished I'll order 3 (or so) prototype boards from OSH Park, and hopefully test the design

Comment

Update: The PCB layout is mostly ready. I uploaded the printout (PDF) of the current version to the project's page. See attachments / version 0.6.

TODO:
                  - Add some vias between GND zones
                  - Arrange components' reference and value labels on the silkscreen

Comment

I posted yet another revision of the schematic and PCB layout for the ISA Super VGA card.

I can't exactly remember the changes (it was a week since I modified it), but most likely these are small changes in PCB layout, silk screen, etc.

Please review

Comment

It works! (but it is getting too late... I'll post more details and pictures tomorrow)

Comment

I received the prototype PCBs for my ISA Super VGA board, and built one of them yesterday.

ISA SVGA - Board.jpg

Soldering the 160-pin flat pack Trident TVGA9000I chip was simpler than I expected. After carefully positioning the IC, and soldering a couple of pins on the corners, I just had to use thin (0.015") solder, and some solder wick to remove occasional solder bridges.

The card runs nicely with either 256 KiB (2 DRAM chips) or 512 KiB (4 DRAM chips). And it works without any problems in my Xi 8088 system with ISA bus clocked at 13.3 MHz.

I have a minor layout issue with EMI filters - they have bigger diameter than I expected (about 3 mm instead of 2.5mm?!), so they interfere a bit one with another, but it shouldn't be too difficult to fix for the production version. BTW, I don't think these filters are essential for the card operation, they intended to reduce the EMI the card generates (apparently to meet FCC requirements).

More high resolution pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/skiselev/ISASVGA.
                        Project page is here: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-...s/isa-supervga. The page is a bit outdated, I will update it with BoM and other information soon.

Comment

Great stuff as usual sergey.
                          Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

That looks very nice, Sergey. I'm looking forward to buying one (or two). It'll be a great addition to my in-progress Xi 8088.

Looks like I may need to invest in a bigger magnifying lens and a teeny-tiny soldering tip before tackling that 160-pin flat pack .

<*> Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X