• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-IDE v2 no see drives :(

HammysHangout

Experienced Member
First Machine: 5160, bios loads, it will attempt to boot from floppy, or mfm controller, however, will not detect drives on ide chain.

verified all ic chips in my ic tester.

i see a lot of activity on /CS_IDE (high and low) regardless of where it is in the boot process? after RomBasic loads, its just goes high.

Anybody know where i can go to understand the I/O Interface of the 8088? as i can probably use my fluke to figure out what the hell is wrong, as ive gone over the thing and can't see what the issue is, the the 10k sip packs are in correctly, etc.

I will try to reflow all the solder joints tonight suggested in another thread, but i'm scratching my hair.

I tried it in a 5150, and the bio's wont even come up on it. (only card was video, floppy, and card)

My first guess is that you didn't use the "chuck mod" setting in the BIOS when flashed in, assuming the jumpers in in their correct positions.
Also, if the BIOS ever attempts to talk to a drive using the wrong setting, you must power cycle the machine to try it again.

In other words, if you boot the machine with a drive attached in the wrong mode, change the BIOS settings and then simply reboot after re-flashing, it will continue to not work and you'll get frustrated. Always power cycle after flashing between chuckmod and non-chuckmod.

The 5150 might be explained by a very early BIOS. IIRC, the first 5150 BIOS didn't support add-in cards with option roms.

i used the Universal 2.0 Bios ( XT 8k version ) , i have no way to boot the machine to flash in the machine so programmed on my Cq-4x.

What is the "Chuck Mod" ?

yes, the 5150 has rev 1 bios :( , so, guess i need to find a cheap adapter board to put a 2716 eep in it.

ok, i found the chuck mod, i tried the j4/j5 jumpers in both the "standard" and "option" position, which looks to be what the "Chuck Mod" is.

No go either way.

The port addresses set when configuring the BIOS (before flashing) needs to match what is configured on the card. Also there is a deviation from ATA spec in the XT-IDEv2 PCB; resistor R6 (CSEL to GND) should be shorted (zero ohms). Also, compatibility with very old drives can be problematic - once the resistor is shorted, use an 80-pin IDE cable and try a recent(ish) drive.

HTH.

can i boot from a img to set the settings? or a way i can make the binary from another pc ? as i do not have a boot disc on this machine.

i am also using 128mb, 1gb, 2gb industrial, and 2 gig normal CF Cards, no HDD(s) .

the bios is saying its checking for master/slave on address 300h, which is what the card it set too.

OK so port is OK. Short R6 and retry, ensure CF adapter is set to master.

ok, replaced r6 with a jumper, no go, tried another cf adapter, no go :(

time to plug in the fluke 9010a and figure out what is up... maybe a bad via or something. i even reflowed all the chips in the ide section..

ok, replaced r6 with a jumper, no go, tried another cf adapter, no go :(

time to plug in the fluke 9010a and figure out what is up... maybe a bad via or something. i even reflowed all the chips in the ide section..
Maybe its your CF> IDE adapter, the XT-IDE cards are known to be picky about card adapters. Some more info here on this topic.

still no go, doesn't matter what's on it.

i been reading the ata spec, i think there maybe some issue with the i/o decoding, as the /cs_ide is active WAY to much., going to hook up the Logic analyzer to the ide pins.

U6 is only matching A4..A9, so any access to any memory location so aligned will generate that signal, however the IDE device will only do anything with it when it's a port access (and so subsequently /IOW or /IOR is asserted). I'm not saying that address decoding isn't the issue on your board of course.

You need to isolate whether its a BIOS, media or card issue. Exactly what BIOS is on the card, and what options were set in XTIDECFG?

i downloaded dosbox and was update the bios card type to xt-ide v2, and saved the binary, will burn to night and give it a shot.

i figured out the issue, even though my cf adapters had "power" lamps, and support port from pin 20, they would only work if i connected external power... i am not sure why, but thats' all it was.. n00b mistake.. now i need to sort a img file to boot from as still no bootable floppy disc.

Back