• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need a little help with a Dual ISA Serial Card.

dabone

Veteran Member
I've got the following generic serial card, and I'm looking for dipswitch settings, and the pinout for the 10 pin inline connector to enable the second port.
I'm still trying to get some 16550 action going in my tandy, So I just ordered some 16550s that I'm going to put in this card.

Here's a pic of my card.

Serial-isa.jpg

It looks like the kouwell kw-509, and I've tracked down the dip switches for it, but not the header pinout.

Here's a pic of the kw-509

serial-front.jpg

If I can't find the pinout, I should be able to backtrack from the onboard db25 to the 1488/1489s to find the pinout right?

Thanks,
Later,
dabone

You do know that you need a 1488 and 1489 RS232 level shifter in those DIP sockets, don't you?

Otherwise, it looks like the plain-Jane DTK dual serial "short card" here.

If no one has the second connector pinout, I can pull my card out of its home and buzz the cable out.

Okay, I've got a couple of the 8-position switch ones and it's a dead ringer for yours, right down to the chip and switch silk screenings. I pulled the board out of one of my machines and buzzed out the cable.

Taking the top pin as pin 1, my cable reads (to a DE9M connector)

1 (connected to pin 9 also) GND (pin 5 on DE9)
2 TXD (pin 3 on DE9)
3 RXD (pin 2)
4 RTS (pin 7)
5 RI (pin 9)
6 CTS (pin 8)
7 DSR (pin 6)
8 DTR (pin 4)
9 GND (see pin 1, above)
10 DCD (pin 1 on DE9)

Hope this helps.

Okay, I've got a couple of the 8-position switch ones and it's a dead ringer for yours, right down to the chip and switch silk screenings. I pulled the board out of one of my machines and buzzed out the cable.
As usual, Chuck's da man!

You'd think they'd arrange them to match the order of pins on a DE-9 IDC (or use a 2x5 like everyone else ;-) )

I don't think the DE9 was very common when the card (judging by chip dates on mine) came out in 1985. Heck, my serial mice didn't have DE9s until about 1991. I've never seen a factory-made cable for this beast in the wild.

Back then, D-sub connectors used by the Taiwanese were mostly hand-assembled solder-cup jobs, not IDC. A 10-pin single-row connector probably saved a few pennies on each unit. Labor was cheap.

Back then, D-sub connectors used by the Taiwanese were mostly hand-assembled solder-cup jobs, not IDC. A 10-pin single-row connector probably saved a few pennies on each unit. Labor was cheap.
You're probably right; even with the dual-row com & prt connectors I've seen two different pinouts used, one that would allow crimping both ends and one that needed manual assembly at the D-sub connector. They look the same of course and I wasted a fair bit of time in my day before I twigged to that.

I think that the 10 pin header on this board was definitely destined for a DB25 connector. The clue is the presence of two ground pins (one for DB25 pin 1: chassis ground and the other for pin 7, signal ground). I haven't tried lining the pins up with the layout of a DB25, but I suspect that there's some sort of correspondence.

Back