• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Insert mode default

evildragon

Veteran Member
Is it possible to make DOS boot up with it's prompt already on the insert mode, so I don't have to hit insert everytime? Also if so, can it be made to stay on? I noticed whenever i type a command, insert is back off.

One way to do it is to use DOSKEY with the /INSERT switch, but that takes precious conventional memory. There are some 3rd party utilities or shells that may do it as well.

From memory, only certain (late) versions of DR-DOS supported this out of the box. Otherwise, there's stuff like this TSR (use -i) which only uses <4KB RAM.

One way to do it is to use DOSKEY with the /INSERT switch, but that takes precious conventional memory. There are some 3rd party utilities or shells that may do it as well.
Only problem with that is you have to be using a version of DOS that supports DOSKEY. Otherwise you could use the standalone Enhanced DOSKEY.

Only problem with that is you have to be using a version of DOS that supports DOSKEY.

The DOSKEY that comes with IBM's PC DOS 7.0/2000 does not do a version check. I have it running fine on MS-DOS 3.3. Same thing with several other PC DOS 2000 utilities like MOVE, DELTREE, and ACALC (command line calculator).

I'm curious why you want insert mode enabled at boot? Also could there be a simple poke (should be) that would do the trick?

I'm curious why you want insert mode enabled at boot? Also could there be a simple poke (should be) that would do the trick?

I want insert mode because if I make a mistake when typing a command, I don't always want it overwriting something else if I didn't for example, get enough characters in a string.

Back