• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quadboard cable

souler

Experienced Member
I got this Quadboard Quadram 384 card in my IBM XT, which had stuff leaked from old battery and had "ate away" many wires on PCB but i managed to fix it with new battery and soldering some jump wires and now it's working like a boss. One thing is still unclear and i cant find any info about this: What are the pinouts of the parallel and game-port connectors on the card? They look like chip sockets. I didnt get those cables when i got the card and now i need parallel port :/ Someone must have those cables and pinouts... Or even the cables for sale, that would be even more awesome! Thx in advance :)

I bought 3 Quadboards before I scored one that hadn't been damaged by the battery. The one that was damaged the worst however, came with a nice set of cables. That was a big consolation for me as I couldn't find any cables for my 384, or any info on how there are wired.

I apologize that my reply has been so slow, but I had to dig them out and then ring them out, and I am easily distracted. :D

I bought 3 Quadboards before I scored one that hadn't been damaged by the battery. The one that was damaged the worst however, came with a nice set of cables. That was a big consolation for me as I couldn't find any cables for my 384, or any info on how there are wired.
I apologize that my reply has been so slow, but I had to dig them out and then ring them out, and I am easily distracted. :D

Thanks for the pinout man! It would be hard to figure those out by myself with nothing. I just bought DIL-connectors, some ribbon cable and used scavenged DB connectors and made some nice cables for my Quadboard :)

Thx again for the pinout, i just tested my cable with loopback adapter and checkit 3.0. It didn't pass the test :(

To make things sure, is this what you meant with pin 1 and pin 16 in the attached picture? Or did you mean pin1/16 on the connector's other side?
pins.jpg

The standard convention for pin numbering is to look from the top, and pins are numbered like this:

Code:
 --u--
1     16
2     15
3     14
4     13
5     12
6     11
7     10
8      9
-------

If his pinout follows that convention, then you're wires on the right hand side are around the wrong way.

Oh no! I am so sorry! Stone is quite right about the numbering. On my set, the board side printer connector is the only one with pin numbers on it. It's white, and only numbers 1 and 9 are marked. My old eyes made that 9 a 16. So stupid of me.

I also ran Checkit on mine with a loopback connector, and mine also failed. I have to assume the factory cables are right (since blind me didn't put them together), so maybe my card has a problem. My loopback connectors have always worked on other cards, but they are homemade, so I had better check the wiring again.

Pinout correction

Pinout correction

To confirm, my mistake means the right side viewed from the top is reversed. I can't edit my original post, but I can offer a corrected document. Let me apologize again for the wasted supplies and effort. I will be buying myself a bigger magnifying glass.

Attachments

• Corrected Quadboard LPT-Game pinouts.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
To confirm, my mistake means the right side viewed from the top is reversed. I can't edit my original post, but I can offer a corrected document. Let me apologize again for the wasted supplies and effort. I will be buying myself a bigger magnifying glass.

No problem, it's just a drop of solder =) But.. i still cant get the cable to work, i triple-checked it after rebuilding it according to your new pinout. .. Not passing loopback test and i even tried to connect printer to it and print. Nothing happens. :(

BTW. Is this the correct loopback adapter for this: http://pinouts.ru/LoopbackCables/ParallelPortLoopbackCheckIt_pinout.shtml

I made my loopback connector to the Checkit specs plus another connection or two that IBM diagnostics wanted. I have my loopback connectors and Quadboard on the workbench as well as my 5150. Tonight after the days labor I will check it all out and report back my findings.

That is the right wiring for a Checkit parallel loopback plug. Mine is the same. It worked fine on my AST SixPackPlus card. I will try some other cards. I can't get my Quadram card to pass either, but I don't have a printer handy to see if it will print. I guess it's just a work in progress. I'll remain keen to solve the problem.

I built that joystick cable too, just for testing. Game port and cable works fine with Checkit 3.0. I don't have old joystick with db15 but i just shorted right pins for buttons 1&2 and used a potentiometer to check X and Y axis.
Works like a charm so guess i check that parallel cable 4th time with multimeter..

I haven't tried a joystick yet. What I have tried is the loopback plug and Checkit with my one 384 Quadboard, and two different 256 Quadboards I have, and they all fail the parallel port test. Checkit's error report says "Received 78H in STATUS port, expected 30H". These tests are being run with two different factory made cables as I found a parallel cable with one of the 256 boards. I had forgotten it had one with it. I have a PDF of the manual for a 384 type Quadboard, and there is a note in the section on the parallel port stating that IBM's diagnostics will yield error 901, and that this is normal.

I finally dug my old dot matrix printer out. I'm going to clean it up and test it, then see if I can print from any of these Quadboards.

I haven't tried a joystick yet. What I have tried is the loopback plug and Checkit with my one 384 Quadboard, and two different 256 Quadboards I have, and they all fail the parallel port test. Checkit's error report says "Received 78H in STATUS port, expected 30H". These tests are being run with two different factory made cables as I found a parallel cable with one of the 256 boards. I had forgotten it had one with it. I have a PDF of the manual for a 384 type Quadboard, and there is a note in the section on the parallel port stating that IBM's diagnostics will yield error 901, and that this is normal.

I finally dug my old dot matrix printer out. I'm going to clean it up and test it, then see if I can print from any of these Quadboards.

That received xxx, expected yyy was the same as yours.. If i remember correctly it changed between two values every time i repeated the test. I tried to print with HP LaserJet 4L, maybe that's too modern printer or something.. That's only one i have. Checkit even has "HP/Laserjet" in options when i tried the printer test. I also tried to print to it in DOS but nothing happens.
Maybe i hook up some LED's with resistors to the port and try to light them up with debug like in this link: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
That still doesn't prove the port works 100% :/

I built Covox-clone sound adapter a while ago which i need that parallel port. I did the same 20 years ago but then it just worked..
dac.jpg

I'm still waiting for my PCI-E RS232/LPT card to arrive, takes time to come from China. My usb-serials CH340 and PL2303 which i bought didn't work and i still can't transfer any files to my IBM, like.. IBM Diagnostics or anything, i have only the programs i copied from floppies to the HD few years ago. I really hope that PCI-E card does the job.

I got my old Epson Apex 80 printer going. I can print with no issues from all three Quadboard cards. There is another passage in that Quadboard manual I mentioned previously that states that their parallel port is identical to IBM's except for three "seldom used" lines that were not brought out. They are AUTO FD XT, ERROR, and SLCT IN. None of these cards pass Checkit diagnostics, but they all print to this old dot matrix printer flawlessly. I wouldn't think a Laserjet 4L would be too modern. That's a pretty old printer. I wonder though, if something else isn't preventing it printing.

The parallel Covox sound card is very cool. Where did you find the info to make one?

I got my old Epson Apex 80 printer going. I can print with no issues from all three Quadboard cards. There is another passage in that Quadboard manual I mentioned previously that states that their parallel port is identical to IBM's except for three "seldom used" lines that were not brought out. They are AUTO FD XT, ERROR, and SLCT IN. None of these cards pass Checkit diagnostics, but they all print to this old dot matrix printer flawlessly. I wouldn't think a Laserjet 4L would be too modern. That's a pretty old printer. I wonder though, if something else isn't preventing it printing.

The parallel Covox sound card is very cool. Where did you find the info to make one?

Many thanks for your effort, now i can be sure that i have made the cable correctly (tested several times with multimeter) and now i also know it's not even meant to pass the Checkit test.

I have the software for my Quadboard with QUADTEST.BAS which has option to test printer, If that Laserjet 4L is connected it just says "Printer port ERROR" straight. If it's not, it doesn't say anything and i can run the test but it just tries to print a set of characters to printer port over and over again, when i looked into the Basic source code.
OK I installed another I/O card as LPT2 and tried to print to it. It doesn't print anything from single DOS command, Checkit or any program but when i press shift-printscreen the data light on the printer blinks once like it's receiving data and when i tap printscreen few more times or repeat the command many times it starts to print..Data light stays on after that though probably because there is still something on queue, dunno but it's not normal.

It really looks to me like the printer has some kind of buffer which has to be filled up until it prints out it all, must be just some compatibility issue, slightly different protocol or something... At least it did something with that another card and i'm sure the printer is working.
After all that i connected it to the Quadboard again. Same thing, it doesn't even blink the light.
I think i give up on the Laserjet, i wasn't going to use it on that computer anyway, just wanted to test the port. I just hope the card is not broken..

I think the most reliable way to test the port is to build a tester with resistor and LED for every line and write a program for it to set every line on and off one at a time.. I have RS232 tester and it has been useful few times.

Hmm.. could it be those "missing" control lines be the reason the Laserjet or even the Parallel Laplink cable is not working like it should? At least the Laplink cable uses pins 13 "Select In" and 15 "Error" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LapLink_cable.

Tester would maybe tell that too.. I'm going to build one or order el cheapo from china, probably cheaper to order it than build it with parts, but when i order it i miss the fun part soldering and assembling it :]

Just when i was writing this message, my PCI-E RS232 adapter arrived from China to my mailbox and now i'm going to test file transfer and all that! I don't need to sleep..! =)

That "Covox Speech Thing"-clone:

Schematics: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/dacs.html
The thing in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QHlF6cPKk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covox_Speech_Thing

Many demos and games from that era support that card which made it awesome back then and it was almost free to build, just a few resistors, some connectors and that's it. There is a more sophisticated version in that epanorama link which uses a chip but also needs 5V external power, i haven't tried that but i don't think it has very much difference in sound quality than the basic version.

Last edited:
IT'S ALIVE. It just worked right away. "MOSCHIP MS9901 Chipset" That gets the job done.

Those PL2303, CH340 etc USB-adapters SUCK! I wondered a long time what the heck is the problem... now file transfer works perfectly with serial connection and i'm a very happy panda this time :]

Now this makes things easier when i can transfer stuff over serial cable. Soon over ethernet, because now i can transfer the drivers for my 3c503..!

I tried with Laplink parallel cable (bought from ebay, not homemade) but when i plug in the cable, the computer doesn't even find the port anymore before booting, same with the printer, which i tested on my new Moschip card and it worked fine. Laplink 5 has "Self test" function which failed on Quad but Passed on this modern one. There is something wrong in the card, it can't be the cable after all these checks. Next i go for cold joints.. If i look closely, i see signs of someone has soldered few chips after factory probably for the same reason i am doing this now.. one looks like it has socket added to it.. Intel P8255A (!), socketed one is 74LS368AN and some chip with sticker reading "442201", don't know what it is and i don't wanna peel off the sticker yet.

After some sleep, i go for that 8255 first. Those joints look so bad that it is really possible that the problem is simply a cold joint.. But the original question was the cable pinout which were fine (Thanks again), at least the joystick cable works flawlessly with your pinouts when i built and tested it. I even found brackets with DB15 and DB25 at the same plate from ebay, i had to buy 6 pieces of them, so if someone needs one i have em soon. I don't even know what the "real" cables look like but i think they have the connectors at different plates, so those brackets with both ports take only one card slot. If not fitted to the case otherwise..

Back