• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm pcjr keyboard port pinout??

offensive_Jerk

Veteran Member
I just picked up a pcjr and the keyboard had the batteries in it for 20 years. Obviously corrosion was afoot.

I cleaned the battery terminals but its still not working. I think its getting power, but sometging else must be hosed. Now I am attempting to build a keyboard cable so I don't need batteries or infrared, but I need the pinout of both the port on the PC and the phone jack rj11 style port on the keyboard.

I expect Brutman might have the pinouts somewhere. I was simply going to suggest that if you have a digital camera you'll be able to see the IR from the bulbs on the back or the keyboard when you hit the keys (if they're working you'll see it as white light). This works with pretty much any digital camera other than apparently newer iphones.

Actually I tried the camera trick. I forgot to check te ibm technical manual, and they basically had it there.

My cable didn't work. But I did get the keyboard working somewhat. I replaced a diobe and it was partially working. Some keys act really strange. Ist be need to find the right diode

Lucky. Corrosion ate through a half dozen traces in my first PCjr keyboard. I ended up purchasing another off of ebay. If you still need the pinout, it's probably in the PCjr technical manual on my site. If you give up trying to make a cable (those Berg connectors are more'n likely going to be quite difficult to find), then keep an eye out on ePay. They're almost always available in the $20 range, but they can be found for cheaper if one looks around. Of course messaging Mike Bruttman or Hargle might score you a hit as well, if they've any spares.

Some keys work now but some don't. Something's still messed up but at least I can now press the j key so I can play games with the controller now. I'll have to look out for a board.

Back