• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 and NIXDORF BA 88

fjk61011

Veteran Member
5150 and NIXDORF BA 88

I've installed an MDA card (looks brand new, Made in China), set the DIP switches and switched on power. The 5150 boots to the post beep and goes into BASIC. The NIXDORF BA 88 works. I'll try the 5151 next.

I inserted a DOS 1.1 floppy and the PC boots to DOS.

Which Floppy is the A: drive? I'm booting from the left hand drive which is on the end of the cable and has the termination resistor. The DOS disk is in this drive.

I tried booting with an EGA card but I either get no output on the screen or a screen full of a's

I haven't heard of the BA 88 monitor....did some searching in Google and read its the same
as a NEC Multisync. Can you post some pictures of the BA 88 ? Thanks.

I haven't heard of the BA 88 monitor....did some searching in Google and read its the same
as a NEC Multisync. Can you post some pictures of the BA 88 ? Thanks.
Photo of a Nixdorf BA88 is [here]. (Slow web site.)

Photo of an NEC APC-H4371 (which is possibly the original NEC MultiSync) is [here].

I inserted a DOS 1.1 floppy and the PC boots to DOS.
So you would have seen:

The IBM Personal Computer DOS
Version 1.10 (C)Copyright IBM Corp 1981, 1982

A>

Which Floppy is the A: drive? I'm booting from the left hand drive which is on the end of the cable and has the termination resistor. The DOS disk is in this drive.
Your left hand drive.

Photo of a Nixdorf BA88 is [here]. (Slow web site.)

Photo of an NEC APC-H4371 (which is possibly the original NEC MultiSync) is [here].

Yup that's the BA 88. I came across a forum that said that the BA 88 is the same as the NEC MultiSynch II. That was after 30 pages of Google.

Ok this machine, using the CGA card, boots from the hard drive and displays the C:> on the BA 88/MultiSynch II

When I put in the Hercules EGA and change the DIP switches, the computer bots to the post beep but I get no display on the monitor.

Any ideas?

The 486 is in the attic now. With the EGA card in it I get the post beep and a blank screen. after awhile the pc goes 1 long beep and two short beeps. and reboots. Makes me think there is something wrong with the card

The 5150s have US PSUs, 120 Vac, so I have to use a stepdown transformer to power them. I'm waiting on two adaptors so I can connect to the US sockets on the transformer. I'll probably use the BA 88 with the second 5150. I'll also need a second keyboard. Can I use a PS/2 keyboard?

Back