• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BUS Mouse adapter - will this work with Green Eyed Mouse

bjorn_and

Experienced Member
Hi!

I have an MS Green Eyed bus mouse for which I'm trying to find a bus adapter so I can actually use the mouse.

I came across this one

BusMouseAdapter.jpg

(I don't own it, so I can't test). It doesn't seem to be the inPort type, and it looks very similar to the correct card, apart from the connector.

Does anyone recognize it and do you know if it would be possible to make an adapter for it to fit the mouse?

Thanks!

/Björn

I've got one of those cards too. I believe it is a predecessor to the InPort card, but both cards serve the same purpose. The non-bus connector Green-Eyed mouse came in 9 pin and 24 pin flavors. Which one do you have?

A cable for the mouse is here. Building your own cable is an option.
msmouse_bus_adapter_1.jpg

(Courtesy of Modem7)

Hi!

Thanks for replying!

I've got one of those cards too. I believe it is a predecessor to the InPort card, but both cards serve the same purpose. The non-bus connector Green-Eyed mouse came in 9 pin and 24 pin flavors. Which one do you have?

I didn't quite get that.. I thought the 25-pin used to be the serial version and the 9-pin version was the bus version? (I assume you mean 25-pin, not 24?)

Mine is the 9-pin bus mouse. (9-pin male connector). No electronics at all in the mouse itself, but the actual sensors and micro-switches.

Thank you for this pin-out diagram! So, then I could probably build myself an adapter. I actually found this by Googling some days ago, but wasn't sure if it was really applicable, and if this card would be the correct one.

This bus adapter card I'm looking at would only cost me about $10, but the seller says he must use some special shipping option to Sweden (from USA) due to some eBay policy that is ridiculously high priced. Maybe he's trying to scam me, I don't know.

So before I go buy it, (it might be worth it since I've been looking for one of those cards for quite a while now), yours is not for sale by any chance? :) Or anyone else's that might be watching this thread..

Thanks!
Björn

Mine is 9-pin D-SUB I mean of course, not the round type :D

Sorry for being unclear!

/Björn

Hi!

Thanks for replying!

I didn't quite get that.. I thought the 25-pin used to be the serial version and the 9-pin version was the bus version? (I assume you mean 25-pin, not 24?)

Mine is the 9-pin bus mouse. (9-pin male connector). No electronics at all in the mouse itself, but the actual sensors and micro-switches.

Thank you for this pin-out diagram! So, then I could probably build myself an adapter. I actually found this by Googling some days ago, but wasn't sure if it was really applicable, and if this card would be the correct one.

This bus adapter card I'm looking at would only cost me about $10, but the seller says he must use some special shipping option to Sweden (from USA) due to some eBay policy that is ridiculously high priced. Maybe he's trying to scam me, I don't know.

So before I go buy it, (it might be worth it since I've been looking for one of those cards for quite a while now), yours is not for sale by any chance? :) Or anyone else's that might be watching this thread..

Thanks!
Björn

...This bus adapter card I'm looking at would only cost me about $10, but the seller says he must use some special shipping option to Sweden (from USA) due to some eBay policy that is ridiculously high priced. Maybe he's trying to scam me, I don't know....

A small flat rate (US Postal Service) box, which that card would CERTAINLY fit in would cost $24 USD to Sweden, a Medium Flat Rate, the next size up, which could fit about 10 of those cards in it is about $60 USD to Sweden.

I could see someone make the argument that it cant be padded enough in a Small Flat Rate box, but I have shipped larger cards in a static bag wrapped in bubble wrap in the small boxes and they have arrived over-seas safely, but maybe they aren't comfortable with that risk, which I could understand if its something rare.

I used to have one of these cards in my Compaq Portable II, but I never used it so I pulled it, I can check around if I still have it, but I kind of doubt it, I have a vague recollection of selling it on ebay. If I still have it in my parts bin when I check tonight, I will PM you and you would be welcome to it.

Mine is the 9-pin bus mouse. (9-pin male connector). Björn

I did not follow that either, but as far as I know there is only the 25pin serial version and a DB9 (BUT only w/ 7 pins) BUS version. Does your connector (on the mouse) actually have 9 pins?

A cable for the mouse is here. Building your own cable is an option.
msmouse_bus_adapter_1.jpg

(Courtesy of Modem7)

Is this to convert the Green Eyed 7pin DB9 BUS mouse to the more usual round BUS connector or to allow the connection of a SERIAL 9pin mouse to a BUS card?

I did not follow that either, but as far as I know there is only the 25pin serial version and a DB9 (BUT only w/ 7 pins) BUS version. Does your connector (on the mouse) actually have 9 pins?

Hi!

It's a DB9 connector, but with only 7 pins connected, yes :)

It's 100% original, mint condition, nothing changed. I just wish I had that card.

It would be awesome if someone found one in their attic, but if not, it would be nearly as good to confirm (with some degree of certainty) that the above pictured card may be possible to interface with my mouse using only an adapter cable.

/Björn

Last edited:
I did mean 25 pin; the 4 key moved a bit. :)

SL, that is a converter cable for the mouse. The mouse came in 25 pin, 9 pin, and the 7 pin bus connector. As per the picture, converter cables were made to accomodate pug differences.

That converter cable actually belongs to the first revision of auto-sensing Serial/PS2 mouse. The mouse has the same connector as the bus mouse (but IS NOT a bus mouse), and plugs into a little box. The other side of the box has a cable stub like you see there, which expresses a serial port or PS/2 mini-DIN connector.

see: http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/dovebar.shtml

That converter cable actually belongs to the first revision of auto-sensing Serial/PS2 mouse. The mouse has the same connector as the bus mouse (but IS NOT a bus mouse), and plugs into a little box. The other side of the box has a cable stub like you see there, which expresses a serial port or PS/2 mini-DIN connector.

see: http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/dovebar.shtml

Hi!

It's not: in fact I have this mouse and converter cable. The dsub on the computer is male, and the converter cable dsub should thus also be male. I just checked my cable to be 100% sure and it is in fact so. The dsub on the computer for a bus card is female, which points to that this cable converts between differen bus mouse formats.

To further emphasize the fact, the ps/2 connector has much lesser pins than the above pictured cable.

Björn

Except that the DE9 at the end of that cable ALSO plugs straight into a serial port. The plastic moulding on the mini-DIN is the giveaway. It fits flush with the outside housing of the converter box. There's no other reason for it to be shaped that way.

I was wondering about the compatiblity of the original Bus Mouse and Inport Mouse recently.

http://renoir.en.kku.ac.th/courses/188473/mouse/mouseall.jpg
This is an original 1983/84 Microsoft mouse and its "bus" card. It uses a 9-pin connector.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ISA_mouse_adapter.JPG
This is a Microsoft Inport card ~1986 , that uses a round connector similar to a PS/2 plug but with more pins. Apparently, they are electrically compatible with the use of an adaptor.

Do I have that right?

Confusingly they are both referred to as "Microsoft Bus Mouse" cards, even though the connector is different. (Are they software compatible?)... and I only see "Bus Mouse" printed on the one at the top of the thread. So I assume "Inport" was just a branding change?

And I recall Logitec having their own "bus" card. Was that compatible?.

Then, of course, there were the Microsoft serial mice, PS/2 mice, and USB mice. And outside of the PC realm there were all kinds of other mouse connectors!

Yes, "InPort" was a rebranding of the "Microsoft Bus Mouse". They are both effectively the same quadrature-encoded deal.

Even though the Logitech bus card also implements a quadrature-encoded mouse interface using the same connector as the Microsoft one, it is not (in my experience) compatible with the Microsoft arrangement. Neither is the Logitech serial mouse compatible with the Microsoft mouse drivers (and vice versa).

I'm beginning to think my memory played me false on one detail... I think the adapter box I was referring to earlier actually DOES convert an MS bus mouse to a serial or PS/2 mouse port. Until somebody shows me one actually working this way, I'm still confident it does NOT adapt an old DE9 MS bus mouse to a mini-DIN bus mouse port.

...never mind. I'm starting to think I misinterpreted Björn's post.

Last edited:
Neither is the Logitech serial mouse compatible with the Microsoft mouse drivers (and vice versa).

This is incorrect in my experience. In fact I have a MS "Grey Eyed" BUS mouse running on my AT w/ Logitech drivers right now (had a Logitech mouse there before and haven't had a chance to switch out the drivers).

As for the converter I don't believe there is a converter for the DB-9 (bear has correctly referred to it as DE-9 but things being things everyone calls them DB-9) 7 (SEVEN) pin MS Green Eye BUS mouse to the more familiar round mini-DIN connector. Frankly there would "never" be a need for one because when you bought a bus mouse it came with the connector card. So it wasn't as if there was a package where you could get a bus version of the Green Eye mouse w/o the controller card. The converter shown was to convert between PS/2->Serial->bus (not necessarily in that order and not necessarily interchangeably as referenced in the link above).

There are only two versions of the Green Eyed mouse: DB-25 Serial and DE-9 7 pin bus (based on the docs from MS). Anything else, in my experience so far, has been the mislabeling of eBay sellers. Could there be a 9 pin serial version? Sure but it would be pointless. Far easier to mass produce a mouse with ONE type of connector and include a 25->9 pin converter. At least that's my two cents and I am sticking with it!

Shadow Lord,

Thank you, and I stand corrected about the nomenclature, I'm being sloppy.

However, you confirm what I suspected, but I was hoping that MS only changed the connector and not the electrical specification so it was possible to create an adapter between the two(?) connectors MS used for their bus mouses over time.

Anyway, I didn't buy the connector card on eBay, the shipping cost was just too much and I don't really *need* to use the mouse, it would just be fun. And in hindsight, it would probably not have worked anyway, then :)

So, if anyone has a card that works with the Green eye BUS mouse that they are willing to part with, please send me a mail.

Thanks
/Björn

This is incorrect in my experience. In fact I have a MS "Grey Eyed" BUS mouse running on my AT w/ Logitech drivers right now (had a Logitech mouse there before and haven't had a chance to switch out the drivers).

As for the converter I don't believe there is a converter for the DB-9 (bear has correctly referred to it as DE-9 but things being things everyone calls them DB-9) 7 (SEVEN) pin MS Green Eye BUS mouse to the more familiar round mini-DIN connector. Frankly there would "never" be a need for one because when you bought a bus mouse it came with the connector card. So it wasn't as if there was a package where you could get a bus version of the Green Eye mouse w/o the controller card. The converter shown was to convert between PS/2->Serial->bus (not necessarily in that order and not necessarily interchangeably as referenced in the link above).

There are only two versions of the Green Eyed mouse: DB-25 Serial and DE-9 7 pin bus (based on the docs from MS). Anything else, in my experience so far, has been the mislabeling of eBay sellers. Could there be a 9 pin serial version? Sure but it would be pointless. Far easier to mass produce a mouse with ONE type of connector and include a 25->9 pin converter. At least that's my two cents and I am sticking with it!

Shadow Lord,

Thank you, and I stand corrected about the nomenclature, I'm being sloppy.

Nothing to apologize for. DB-9 is what most people (including my self) would call that size connector. I just didn't want there to be any confusion as to why someone was calling it DE-9.

Back