• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ps2 25 floppy drive issues. driver?

luckybob

Veteran Member
A while back I won an external 5.25 360k floppy drive from ebay. It came with what looked like a microchannel back plate and all required cables. So i bought it for like $30 with shipping. Reading the manual, it SPECIFICALLY STATES it is for ps2 computers! the actual 5.25 drive itself is a teac FD-55F-03-U. It doesn't look like the original drive to the external box. The adapter is little more than a line buffer the only IC on the adapter is a TI 74ALS29827NT. I would imagine it is required because the total cable length from the adapter to the floppy is in excess of 6 feet. :p

The problem is, the computer is trying to write to the drive as if it is a DD 3.5" drive. The manual has me add a driver.sys line to the config.sys and that does nothing.

I don't have any pictures availible at the moment, but the external drive itself looks standard. the cable inside the external box is almost a 1:1 to the floppy drive. on the db-37 side, Pins 1,2,3 & 7 are tapped off for power and the rest. pin #4 on the floppy side is not connected. The internal cable is db-37 to a 40 pin edge 38-40 aren't connected on the edge. The board is only 2 caps, a pullup resistor, and the buffer. I can use paint or something to draw up a schematic if need be, but it looks relatively straight forward.

The only identification I have is on the adapter card, and it reads:

1987 cumulus corp
assy. 902113

for the record, the "startup" disk is nothing more than a utilities and diagnostics program.

Back