• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5161 Expansion Unit Planar wanted

At one point, before an IBM 5161 expansion unit was offered for sale; I was going to try building one from off the shelf parts. I had a case, XT power supply, and a set of extender and receiver cards. All I needed to complete the expansion unit build was to get an ISA back plane which would work with the rest of the components. With that in mind, I had planned to buy an 8 slot ISA passive backplane from Advantech: http://www.advantech.com/products/PCA-6108-0B2E/mod_67049647-2C10-4360-A99E-FF721863C9F6.aspx

I never did buy the back plane though because an authentic expansion unit became available, and I didn't need to locate anything other than a replacement cable. However, I was told that since the back plane in the above link, has all of the required connections for the power supply, etc. there shouldn't be any reason that it wouldn't work.

Please don't hold me to that though. I'm only repeating what I was initially informed by another member in these forums. There are no real guarantees that it will or won't work till someone tries it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Back