Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

FTP and long file names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP and long file names

Ok, I have a FTP server setup on my 5160 and I can ftp into it and grab individual files if I go into the directory. Say there was a regular directory but it had something like 35 files inside with why cant I just type mget what ever directory and it get the contents or even copy the entire directory? It really makes moving large directory's a absolute pain because I have to type in each file name... Am I missing some sort of command for this or what because I need to backup my ENTIRE HDD with over 5MB of stuff on it and it's simply not doable with how I am doing it...
    IBM und Texas über alles
    Lebe dein leben für dich selbst

It depends on the client as well as the server. For example, I can use NCFTP and GET -R * which will pick up an entire directory and all sub-directories.
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

My server is the FTP server that came default with Mtcp. As for a client, I use the FTP clinet in the command line of Windows 7. I tried those that you just posted and NCFTP doesn't work and when I do GET -r I get this "550 No file ops supported in root directory"
      IBM und Texas über alles

Comment

Try FileZilla FTP Client on your Windows 7 machine. It's free to download and has worked well for me on my XP machine moving files, directories or entire hard drive volumes to and from my 5155 which runs mTCP FTP Server. mTCP Rules!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ibmapc View Post
          Try FileZilla FTP Client on your Windows 7 machine. It's free to download and has worked well for me on my XP machine moving files, directories or entire hard drive volumes to and from my 5155 which runs mTCP FTP Server. mTCP Rules!!!
          Agreed mtcp is pretty awesome!
          I tried filezilla client yesturday it was able to access the disk but I couldn't get it to download the files for some reason? Sometimes the command prompt is easyer for me in windows…
          IBM und Texas über alles

Comment

You can start ftp server on Windows machine and backup your 5160 with mput
            Current gear: Amstrad PC1640, Compaq Prolinea 4/66, Macintosh LC II, Power Macintosh G3, Sun Ultra 10
            Wanted gear: Commodore Amiga 1000, Sharp x68000

Comment

Originally posted by josephdaniel View Post
              Ok, I have a FTP server setup on my 5160 and I can ftp into it and grab individual files if I go into the directory. Say there was a regular directory but it had something like 35 files inside with why cant I just type mget what ever directory and it get the contents or even copy the entire directory? It really makes moving large directory's a absolute pain because I have to type in each file name... Am I missing some sort of command for this or what because I need to backup my ENTIRE HDD with over 5MB of stuff on it and it's simply not doable with how I am doing it...
              The answer is easy - your FTP server is running on DOS. Therefore, it is using DOS filename rules.

Instead of using mget * you should be using mget *.*. Remember, in DOS a filespec that is just "*" means all files without an extension. If you want all files use "*.*".

Why does the title of this thread have "long file names" in it?

Comment

Ok, thanks. Also is there a command I can use once I am in the root directory of drive c? That will basically clone the drive without me having to go into each subdirectorie? One of the reasons I wast to be able to copy the whole thing is because I'm going to make a simple script that I can run from my windows computer and it will automatically backup the drive
                As for the title name I don't know why I named it that I was thinking of something else when I was writing this...
                IBM und Texas über alles

Comment

just a shot in the dark here.
                  I don't think you can use the FTP to back up a hard drive.
                  In my head the FTP is designed to transfer files that are on the server; " the shared files ", and not the entire os system.
                  only the shared files can be transferred.
                  the server software you are using mtcp
                  When an FTP client and server wish to exchange data they will open a new
                  socket connection that will be used for that one data transfer. A data
                  transfer is a directory listing, a file send or a file receive. (Yes,
                  even a directory listing requires a new socket connection.) After the
                  data transfer is done the new socket is closed, leaving only the original
                  control connection. Data connections are not used for more than one data
                  transfer.
                  A good read of the doc explains more.
                  Also:
                  dos is still dos, so long file names ; " allowed up to eight then the . then up to three for the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by josephdaniel View Post
                    Ok, thanks. Also is there a command I can use once I am in the root directory of drive c? That will basically clone the drive without me having to go into each subdirectorie? One of the reasons I wast to be able to copy the whole thing is because I'm going to make a simple script that I can run from my windows computer and it will automatically backup the drive
                    As for the title name I don't know why I named it that I was thinking of something else when I was writing this...
                    Find an FTP client that can do that ... it should work no matter what the server is. The feature you are looking for is "recursive get" or something similar to that. There is also a utility called "wget" that can do that over both http and FTP.

Remember to always specify BINARY mode for your transfers. And to check your backups, no matter how you back up.

Comment

AnyoneYoubet,

Most people want their data to be safe. A file level backup (FTP) works for that purpose.

For a really comprehensive backup, including hidden files, directory structures, etc. you can mirror the hard drive. But given how small DOS is and how easy it is to re-install, most people will be happy with a file level backup.

(I still might include the ability to mirror an entire drive letter over FTP one day. I could use it. But the last time I suggested it nobody else commented on it so maybe it's not such a great idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by mbbrutman View Post
                        AnyoneYoubet,

Most people want their data to be safe. A file level backup (FTP) works for that purpose.

For a really comprehensive backup, including hidden files, directory structures, etc. you can mirror the hard drive. But given how small DOS is and how easy it is to re-install, most people will be happy with a file level backup.

(I still might include the ability to mirror an entire drive letter over FTP one day. I could use it. But the last time I suggested it nobody else commented on it so maybe it's not such a great idea.)
                        mbbrutman,

I really have not work in dos for a long time, so I'm a little Leary about giving advice on the subject.
                        I remember using xcopy to do backups on the machine I wanted to save the info.
                        more information:
                        Also another way was to use Back up and restore your computer's data with Norton Ghost.
                        I had used the program in win 98, I am not sure if it went all the way back to early dos.

one more thought:

If you boot from your floppy and have the program that runs the ftp software run from the floppy, you may share the entire hard drive as a share or not.

Comment

I have A, B, and C shared with full privilages to me. DOS 2.1 dosent have xcopy but I'm not going to attempt to archive 5mb of stuff on 360k floppys! I need to back everything up at the file level because I'm getting a new MFM controller and them i will put DOS 5.00 on there. I was also going to make a script for my client to do backups, it should be less than 15 lines long and it will make starting future backups faster.
                          I can't try wget right now as I am on a phone and my 5160 is only local on my network but I will try it as soon as I get home.
                          IBM und Texas über alles

Comment

External - DOS 2.0 and above
                            Backs up one or more files from one disk to another.
                            BACKUP source destination-drive: [/S] [/M] [/A] [/F[:size]]
                            [/D:date[/T:time]] [/L[:[drive:][path]logfile]]

source Specifies the file(s), drive, or directory to back up.
                            destination-drive: Specifies the drive to save backup copies onto.
                            /S Backs up contents of subdirectories.
                            /M Backs up only files that have changed since the last
                            backup.
                            /A Adds backup files to an existing backup disk.
                            /F:[size] Specifies the size of the disk to be formatted.
                            /D:date Backs up only files changed on or after the specified
                            date.
                            /T:time Backs up only files changed at or after the specified
                            time.
                            /L[:[drive:][path]logfile]
                            Creates a log file and entry to record the backup
                            operation.
                            RESTORE[edit]

External - DOS 2.0 and above
                            Restores files that were backed up by using the BACKUP command.
                            RESTORE drive1: drive2:[path[filename]] [/S] [/P] [/B:date] [/A:date] [/E:time]
                            [/L:time] [/M] [/N] [/D]

drive1: Specifies the drive on which the backup files are stored.
                            drive2:[path[filename]]
                            Specifies the file(s) to restore.
                            /S Restores files in all subdirectories in the path.
                            /P Prompts before restoring read-only files or files changed since
                            the last backup (if appropriate attributes are set).
                            /B Restores only files last changed on or before the specified date.
                            /A Restores only files changed on or after the specified date.
                            /E Restores only files last changed at or earlier than the specified
                            time.
                            /L Restores only files changed at or later than the specified time.
                            /M Restores only files changed since the last backup.
                            /N Restores only files that no longer exist on the destination disk.
                            /D Displays files on the backup disk that match specifications.
                            a simple bat file then then be created .

mybackup.bat
                            cls
                            echo "Backing up";

---- the commands to back up -----

you could use "IF statement"
                            if %1 == 1 BACKUP
                            if %1 == 2 RESTORE

the syntax is most likely wrong , been so long, but I hope you get me.

then
                            A:mybackup.bat 1
                            or
                            A:mybackup.bat 2

or just put it in the autoexec.bat file and do the backups every time you restart the computer.
                            Last edited by AnyoneYoubet; June 16, 2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I think I am going to start using ncftp as my client as it supports recursive backups
                              IBM und Texas über alles

Comment

Working...
                              X