Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Trident VGA and IBM PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, please tell the story, because my English very bad. The only thing I can say that the fix is not easy. You need an additional circuit and cut trace on Trident board.

As you can see, addition board at left bottom corner fix the problem.

Comment

Uhm, I just found a funny mistake on that project's website:
      "Supports 256 MiB or 512 MiB video memory using two or four 256 Mbit x 4 DRAM ICs."
      Made me think about using CUDA with an 8088

Anyway, I'm also interested in the story, of course!

Comment

Everything started while I was troubleshooting very weird behavior of my universal card. Finally in order to troubleshoot a software (as I thought at that moment) issue I had to use a logic analyzer. The picture of one specific signal (B)ALE was different, than I expected (this is a picture of "jmp $", running between addresses D000A - D000C):

bus.jpg

On this picture the ALE just before the time stamp 1216 appeared to be in a wrong place - way before "its" address D000A (time stamp 1246). I knew that the address 0CB97 between the ALE and "its" address was a memory refresh cycle, but couldn't figure how the DMA cycle did manage to get inserted inside of another cycle ??? Luckily a fellow Vic3Dexe from another forum kindly reminded me, that the DMA cycle for the memory refresh logic is not "real" DMA cycle, but rather a "wait state" delay cycle. Of course, this explained everything... At that moment, my card used ALE signal to latch the address bus for own needs, but during the refresh cycle the latched address was completely wrong ! I introduced a minor change to my FPGA design eliminating ALE usage, and everything started working flawlessly. Of course, it raised another question - why do they even need ALE signal on the bus at all, if it's impossible to use ???

And then here comes the Tronix ! He somehow connected the abovementioned issue with Trident 9000 issues in old PCs. From this point Tronix took things into his hands, so I'm just telling his story...

Quick look at working (in old PC) and not working Tridents immediately revealed the absence of ALE signal on working adapters. Probably, even then we already could safely assume that the ALE is the reason, but Tronix decided to prove it completely. First step was to increase the interval between memory refresh cycles on his PC clone. And the miracle happened - previously completely dead Trident card started waking up ! Longer refresh interval could provide enough time for the card to start.

After that, small board was designed and assembled to generate a substitute for the ALE:

schem.jpg

After a bit torture to the Trident (cutting off the ALE line and connecting Tronix' board) everything started working completely reliably.

Bottom line - PCs with "old style" memory refresh logic don't work with cards that require ALE signal. Newer PCs either handle a memory refresh differently, or don't need it at all - Sergey's XT project uses static memory, no refresh required.

The fix... For existing adapters, it's a bit ugly - requires cutting lines and attaching a small board. For Sergey's SVGA card - a small addition can be easily introduced to the design, that makes the card compatible.

The end
        Attached Files
        Last edited by newold86; November 6, 2017, 05:40 AM.

Comment

More shortly - all this additional board does is prolongates back front of BALE signal to the front of /MEMRD (or /MEMWR, /IORD, /IOWR) signal, so the card can latch correct address from bus (and not that from DMA).
          BusALE.jpg

Comment

That is a good find and easy to implement in Sergey's design

Also what is that red motherboard in your photo? it looks awesome

Comment

Originally posted by pietja View Post
              Also what is that red motherboard in your photo? it looks awesome
              This is new replica of the old Soviet computer named Poisk-2. Full length AT mainboard based on KM1810VM86M (8086) CPU with some usable things, such us 2 Mb onboard RAM (640Kb base memory and ~1400Kb for EMS), onboard RTC. BIOS contain "Set-Up" program like "Set-Up" in AT class machines for configure Time, Date, FDD, HDD and other settings. Also for some reasons BIOS contain build-in memory remapping procedures. When one of the DRAM chips is out of order, BIOS correct buildin "DRAM deffect map" and shift up logical memory space up. Thus, computer still usable. KM1810VM86M processor is not 100% clone Intel 8086. He contain some 80186 instruction (pusha, popa) and one very important thing - when invalid opcode occured he generate exception. Therefore, there are 80286 processor emulators exist.

There is description with photos about replica creation: https://geektimes.ru/post/294155/ (in Russian languarge). Project now open-source. Gerber, circuit and other files here: https://github.com/Haper/poisk-2-mainboard .

Comment

I have designed a simple modchip style board based on the circuit Tronix posted on nedopc.org
                Its designed with 5 SMD parts so that you can stick the board with some dual sided tape on your VGA card.

I have uploaded the board to OSH park and it should cost only $2.60 for 3 but its not tested!
                https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/r7J7OVea
                VGA_FIX.jpg

Comment

delete pls
                  Last edited by Tronix; November 6, 2017, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Interesting stuff! Now that you mention it, I can see the same thing on my XT with my ISA bus sniffer card. Looking through the 5160 technical reference, it seems like none of the IBM cards use ALE (except the extender and receiver cards, which just replicate it onto the expansion unit). http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ISA_pinout.shtml says "This signal is forced high during DMA cycles." but that's clearly not true for 5150/5160 - it must have been a change made in later machines, after the original ALE signal was found to be useless.

So the mystery is why IBM put a signal on the bus that wasn't actually usable for anything. I guess the answer must be that they mistakenly thought it would be useful and it was a signal that they were generating anyway so it didn't cost anything to expose it.

Comment

Originally posted by reenigne View Post
                      Ithey mistakenly thought it would be useful
                      Maybe it supposed to be useful for pre-DMA era? I mean - when there is no DMA on the bus, back front of (B)ALE is good to latch and decode address. But even in this case front of /MRD (/MWR etc) is much more suitable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Xacalite View Post
                        Uhm, I just found a funny mistake on that project's website:
                        "Supports 256 MiB or 512 MiB video memory using two or four 256 Mbit x 4 DRAM ICs."
                        Made me think about using CUDA with an 8088
                        Fixed that, also added a note about IBM PC not working...

Comment

Originally posted by newold86 View Post
                          Everything started while I was troubleshooting very weird behavior of my universal card. Finally in order to troubleshoot a software (as I thought at that moment) issue I had to use a logic analyzer. The picture of one specific signal (B)ALE was different, than I expected (this is a picture of "jmp $", running between addresses D000A - D000C):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41760[/ATTACH]

On this picture the ALE just before the time stamp 1216 appeared to be in a wrong place - way before "its" address D000A (time stamp 1246). I knew that the address 0CB97 between the ALE and "its" address was a memory refresh cycle, but couldn't figure how the DMA cycle did manage to get inserted inside of another cycle ??? Luckily a fellow Vic3Dexe from another forum kindly reminded me, that the DMA cycle for the memory refresh logic is not "real" DMA cycle, but rather a "wait state" delay cycle. Of course, this explained everything... At that moment, my card used ALE signal to latch the address bus for own needs, but during the refresh cycle the latched address was completely wrong ! I introduced a minor change to my FPGA design eliminating ALE usage, and everything started working flawlessly.
                          Actually, on both IBM PC and IBM XT all DMA cycles, not only memory refresh cycles, are performed this way - by inserting wait cycles to stop the CPU.
                          The reason for this is that in these systems 8088 runs in so called maximum mode, using 8288 bus controller. In this mode neither processor, nor bus controller generate HOLD/HLDA signals required for 8237 DMAC. Instead 8088 implements a fairly complicated arbitration protocol to support additional bus masters, for example 8087 or 8089.
                          Now, IBM could have used 8089, or at least implemented the 8088 maximum mode arbitration protocol using logic ICs, but instead they just used wait logic to stop the CPU during DMA.

Generally speaking, the DMA implementation in IBM PC (and XT, and AT) is pretty much broken... Sometimes I wonder why they even went through the trouble of implementing DMA.

Of course, it raised another question - why do they even need ALE signal on the bus at all, if it's impossible to use ???
                          Comparing PC schematic vs. XT schematic - the ALE is implemented in exactly the same way - it is connected directly to the 8288 bus controller. So it is likely that the differences in behavior are the result of the wait logic implementation differences between PC and XT. Quite possible that wait logic was broken (as far as ALE timing goes) on PC, and IBM fixed it in XT...

ALE is really comes useful in AT type of systems, that provide unlatched LA17-LA23 signals. In this case ALE is needed to determine when the address is valid. Technically, either on XT or AT, it also allows determining that address is valid sometime before /MEMR, /MEMW, /IOR, or /IOW go active.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic3Dexe View Post
                            More shortly - all this additional board does is prolongates back front of BALE signal to the front of /MEMRD (or /MEMWR, /IORD, /IOWR) signal, so the card can latch correct address from bus (and not that from DMA).
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]41765[/ATTACH]
                            Nice work!
                            I think it all can be implemented in a single SPLD...

Comment

Originally posted by sergey View Post
                              Quite possible that wait logic was broken (as far as ALE timing goes) on PC, and IBM fixed it in XT...
                              At least it's not fixed in my XT board from DTK. And it's not fixed in your single board XT I'm pretty sure (of course, could be wrong) if you slightly modify your XT to start fake memory refresh cycles, it stops working with your VGA adapter. Too bad it's not very straightforward to conduct this experiment - will require some trace cutting and soldering...

Comment

Originally posted by newold86 View Post
                                At least it's not fixed in my XT board from DTK. And it's not fixed in your single board XT I'm pretty sure (of course, could be wrong) if you slightly modify your XT to start fake memory refresh cycles, it stops working with your VGA adapter. Too bad it's not very straightforward to conduct this experiment - will require some trace cutting and soldering...
                                But it works on most XT's, including the original IBM XT

And I am not quite sure what is broken on my XT... Can you elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                                X