Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Trident VGA and IBM PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trident VGA and IBM PC

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has/had the original IBM PC 5150 working with Trident TVGA8900 or TVGA9000 cards? How about IBM XT? (Not clones).

Michael and I made a weird discovery that TVGA9000i based card that I designed doesn't work in IBM PC 5150/Retro-PC, but it appears to be working in XT systems (or at least Turbo-XT clones). I tried some other Trident cards (TVGA8900D, TVGA9000A), and they also don't work in my 5150 motherboard...

Is it possible that something on PC bus is different from XT bus that will make card not to work? If I remember correctly bus control signals (/IOR, /MEMR, /IOW, /MEMW) have termination resistors in PC, but not in XT. Also in PC 8259/PIC data bus is connected directly to the CPU, while in XT it sits on the X-bus, behind ISA. Any other ideas?

What it is not:
    - It is not 8088/V20 compatibility issue. Trident cards will work with either one of them (on XT systems)
    - Most likely it is not a BIOS issue. Other VGA cards work with my 5150, and Retro-PC uses ERSO-like BIOS.

Thanks,
    Sergey

My XT works fine with a TVGA9000B.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

A while back i tried a Trident TVGA9000i card in my IBM PC 5150 and IBM XT 5160 and it didn't work in either, However it worked fine in my IBM 5170 in an 8-bit / 16-bit slot, i put it down to the bios on the card needing a 286 or better. I have also found that some cards i have work fine in my XT 5160 but don't work in my PC 5150 and a few work in both 5150/5160.

Comment

I have Trident TVGA9000C and a TVGA9000i based cards and can't get either of them to work in a 5160 motherboard currently on the bench.

Comment

I have several of Sergey's 8 bit ISA video cards, which work OK in a 386, 486, etc, but do not work in an original stock IBM PC, the PC-Retro running the Anonymous/Generic BIOS, or in an IBM stock XT. I have tried both versions of the Trident Video BIOS (Version D4.01E and D3.51). Just for the heck of it, I also tried booting with the Compaq Portable BIOS, just to see if it would make a difference: No dice. Trying to boot with the video card gives a characteristic error: One long beep, followed by two short beeps. As a cross check: I can boot fine in all my systems with a 16 bit VGA video card based on the ET4000AX from Tseng Labs.

Going through my collection of VGA cards I found a single card based on the TVGA9000B using the Quadtel V3.00 lH Bios that does provide video output in a fashion on the PC... The screen is readable, but has a red background and vertical lines. I pulled the BIOS off that card and tried in the Sergey Card, but again: no dice.

If anyone has an idea or suggestion of something to try... Thanks, Michael

Comment

I have also tried the Sergey 8 bit ISA video card in an IBM 5150 PC with the 8088 CPU replaced by a BREAKTHRU 286 Upgrade card. (Replaces the CPU at the socket with a plug-in cable going to an ISA card with onboard 286 CPU). The VGA video card is not working, and the system seems to hang about at the point that I would expect it to be loading the video bios. No beeps.

Comment

FWIW I have also never had any of those 2 models of Tridents working in an XT. Supposedly the TVGA8800 will work. But that was something I heard.
              *FrankG*

Comment

Originally posted by mmruzek View Post
                I have also tried the Sergey 8 bit ISA video card in an IBM 5150 PC with the 8088 CPU replaced by a BREAKTHRU 286 Upgrade card. (Replaces the CPU at the socket with a plug-in cable going to an ISA card with onboard 286 CPU). The VGA video card is not working, and the system seems to hang about at the point that I would expect it to be loading the video bios. No beeps.
                What a pitty. I missed this thread. A month ago or so I assembled Sergey's VGA card and tried it in a TurboXT system that works with 9000B and 9000C Trident cards. Sergey's card did not work. I was pretty sure, I soldered it well. So I went to a friend with hot air rework station, removed the chip. Soldered second chip. (I bought two at UTsource) That chip did not work neither. I removed that chip and ordered third chip from UTSource, this time from another batch. Well I am still waiting for the chip. But today I have made a discovery. I tried 16bit 9000i card in my TurboXT and it does not work. So I pulled Commodore PC20-III (XT clone) from basement where this card worked before and .. yep it works. I am pretty sure, Sergey's card was all well, but I did not test in Commodore unfortunately .. What a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by archeocomp View Post
                  What a pitty. I missed this thread. A month ago or so I assembled Sergey's VGA card and tried it in a TurboXT system that works with 9000B and 9000C Trident cards. Sergey's card did not work. I was pretty sure, I soldered it well. So I went to a friend with hot air rework station, removed the chip. Soldered second chip. (I bought two at UTsource) That chip did not work neither. I removed that chip and ordered third chip from UTSource, this time from another batch. Well I am still waiting for the chip. But today I have made a discovery. I tried 16bit 9000i card in my TurboXT and it does not work. So I pulled Commodore PC20-III (XT clone) from basement where this card worked before and .. yep it works. I am pretty sure, Sergey's card was all well, but I did not test in Commodore unfortunately .. What a mess.
                  Sorry about this mess... Still I am wondering what makes Trident 9000i to work in some XT clones but not in other.

Comment

It may come down to BIOS revision.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Chambers View Post
                      It may come down to BIOS revision.
                      With Retro PC it doesn't work either with IBM BIOS or with (C) Anonymous one. It very well could be that the Anonymous BIOS simply copied BIOS extension scan code or something like that. But on the other hand I just can't figure out what hardware difference between IBM PC and IBM XT could break the card... Unless it is some very subtle signal timing problem...

I need to debug it Hopefully during Thanksgiving I'll find a few hours to do so...

Comment

Originally posted by sergey View Post
                        I need to debug it Hopefully during Thanksgiving I'll find a few hours to do so...
                        Your web site (here) suggests suitability for the "IBM PC".
                        Does that mean that you discovered the cause of the 5150 incompatibility?

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
                          Your web site (here) suggests suitability for the "IBM PC". Does that mean that you discovered the cause of the 5150 incompatibility?
                          I think it was written before we've discovered incompatibility. I was assuming that if the board works with IBM XT and XT clones it will also work with IBM PC. For whatever reason it doesn't. I tried checking various things, but still haven't found the reason for such incompatibility.... I need to update that page one day.

Comment

Exciting news - the mystery finally solved !
                            As you know, the topic of incompatibility of certain video adapters (mostly based on Trident 9000) with certain PCs (mostly really old PC and PC/XT) was raised a number of times on different forums (including this one). Seems like now we have a definitive answer why it's happening and how to fix it. If anyone interested, I tell the whole story here

Comment

Please tell the whole story here, as what you found might help other homebrew people making cards for the 5150.
                              Offering a bounty for:
                              - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                              - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Working...
                              X