Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

286 Parallel Port cdrom no labelling, drivers unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    You'd see a lot of older parts with cables like that--they're still SCSI, but employ the old "Apple SCSI" DB25 connector, though the convention wasn't limited to Apple by any means. I've got several SCSI cards with DB25s on them. One or two even have stickers above the connector saying "SCSI". The terrible thing is that the DB25 SCSI on a PC sometimes isn't exactly the same as that on an Apple!

I suspect that the Commodore Amiga was also complicit in this reprehensible practice of using DB25s for non-datacomm applications, though IBM also promulgated the mess by using them for parallel interface as well.

At any rate, this is a SCSI cable:

Just more voodoo to add to the SCSI story. The problem was that the ANSI SCSI committee never formally specified the exact connector to be used.

To make matters even more confusing, this is a printer cable:

Last edited by Chuck(G); February 20, 2014, 05:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SpookyZalost
    replied
    that's the cable that came with it, but then I think the person just gave me a random cable to connect it.

I think I'll get a 16bit MCA bus SCSI controller card with my next paycheck to see if that fixes the problem, I've seen several and they are not that expensive.

Leave a comment:

• NeXT
    replied
    The model 50 does not have onboard SCSI. You're plugging into the parallel port which is NOT SCSI compatible. That other port you see next to it is a 25 pin serial port.

Leave a comment:

• SpookyZalost
    replied
    before I went and messed with the drivers again I went and checked the cable and the ports on the back, I'm fairly certain that it's a scsi connector on one end and a parallel port on the other, with the parallel port connecting to the back of my PS/2 Model 50
    Tried to take steady pic's to show what I mean
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...220_171407.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...220_171513.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...220_171616.jpg

considering what I know now... would it be easier just to get a scsi add in card and use a scsi to scsi cable for the drive?

I was thinking about getting one eventually, mostly because I have a 9 drive scsi hdd array which I was thinking about using for extending the storage on the computer.
    Last edited by SpookyZalost; February 20, 2014, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• luvit
    replied
    Yeah, I can stand corrected. I've only used a few parallel port drives.
    The two drives I've installed with Centronix connectors did only had one port.
    I did install another with two DB25 pin connectors.. one for a printer piggy-back.
    But alas, the numeric SCSI ID selector is likely the best answer that's it's SCSI.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    I've got a parallel port device here with one DB25F and one "Centronics/Amphenol" 34-position female connector, the idea being that you simply grabbed another printer-to-PC cable and inserted the thing between your printer and the PC.

But what's on the OP's CD-ROM box are 50-position "Centronics/Amphenol/Blue Ribbon" connectors, used extensively in the SCSI-1 days--and by many office multi-line telephone systems as well. I seem to recall that the Dataproducts printer interface was 50-position as well, but not the Amphenol-type connectors--and the computer end was usually a DC-37M.

Leave a comment:

• krebizfan
    replied
    Originally posted by luvit View Post
    I agree that's SCSI. Here's why:
    Parallel port external CD-Rom Drives only had one centronix connector. Your device has two centronix connectors.
    The 2nd port would be for SCSI daisy-chaining multiple external devices or the 2nd connector would allow for a required SCSI terminator.
    Are you sure that Parallel Port CD-ROM drives had only one Centronics port? I haven't seen any device for PC parallel port using Centronics connector except for printers. All the parallel port enclosures I have seen have had 2 DB-25 connectors (one to the computer and the other for passthrough to printer) which is a problem since Mac targeted SCSI enclosures used the same DB-25 connector but get unhappy if attached to a parallel port.

Note for the OP: I can't say for sure with that enclosure but many of the SCSI enclosures I have the SCSI ID switch on the back doesn't do anything. You may have to open up the enclosure and extract drive to manually set the correct SCSI ID.

Leave a comment:

• luvit
    replied
    I agree that's SCSI. Here's why:
    Parallel port external CD-Rom Drives only had one centronix connector. Your device has two centronix connectors.
    The 2nd port would be for SCSI daisy-chaining multiple external devices or the 2nd connector would allow for a required SCSI terminator.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    ...and that's a SCSI ID switch near the power connector.

Leave a comment:

• SpidersWeb
    replied
    Yes those are definitely SCSI connectors.

Leave a comment:

• SpookyZalost
    replied
    Originally posted by NeXT View Post
    That's very much a SCSI CD-ROM drive.
    ok, in that case, after work tomorrow I will see about initializing drivers for the scsi connector on the back of the model 50 and seeing if it detects the drive then.

Leave a comment:

• NeXT
    replied
    That's very much a SCSI CD-ROM drive.

Leave a comment:

• SpookyZalost
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Can you post a clear photo of the back of the unit, please?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...219_234452.jpg

Originally posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    Well the PS/2 has no CD-ROM support whatsoever. If the drive flashes on startup it's probably just the computer initialising the printer port.
    I was hoping you had a driver installed which was detecting it. The generic ATAPI drivers wont work, but a generic one designed for parallel port drives might - what drivers have you tried? What do they say?
    mostly just the generic Dos CD rom drivers, it's sorta like they run, but don't detect anything, and if it's just initializing the parallel port, that makes sense as to why the light and the drive powers up on boot.

Leave a comment:

• SpidersWeb
    replied
    Originally posted by SpookyZalost View Post
    well the drive lights up on bootup, it recieves signal, and I'm guessing there is some hardware communication, and the driver I used was the free dos one, as well as a few other generic ones, which seem to get part way but won't detect the drive completely, my thoughts are that it's because it's not internal, but that's just a guess.
    Well the PS/2 has no CD-ROM support whatsoever. If the drive flashes on startup it's probably just the computer initialising the printer port.
    I was hoping you had a driver installed which was detecting it. The generic ATAPI drivers wont work, but a generic one designed for parallel port drives might - what drivers have you tried? What do they say?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Can you post a clear photo of the back of the unit, please?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X