• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/1 Consultant 2155-G54 486SX ISSUE

cadillac59

Dear all,

My name is Bill and this is my very first thread.

Nice to meet you.

I love collecting vintage computers.

Recently I bought IBM PS/1 2155-G54.

Everything seems works except IBM Riser card.

Working so random... sometimes working but most of time.. not!

But I want to play the old games with sound card install.

Without IBM riser card, can't plug isa cards!

This is the picture of 81f8872 IBM riser card.

IMG_8442_zpsf48234e4.jpg

IMG_8443_zpseb71483e.jpg

So here's my 2 questions..

1. Is this normal boot screen? what is the right image for?

IMG_8444_zps28255484.jpg

2. Every time I plug the riser card this is what happen. What disk do I have to insert..?? I just don't get it. Because sometimes just working without this error message. Also once this error disk image shows i cant get into ms-dos.. i have to unplug the riser card in order to get computer work properly.

IMG_8445_zpsdef54245.jpg

Unplug the riser card and working fine..

IMG_4844_zps929934ab.jpg

IMG_4797_zps034ac685.jpg

Please.. any idea..?

Thank you for reading my thread..

Have you replaced the CR2032 battery since you got the system? Have you rerun the configuration?

You should be putting in a bootable diskette when the screen shows the diskette image.

Copies of IBM maintainence manuals are out there and list some possible failures of the riser card. IBM's recommended fix is to replace either card or system board. But check around the system board and see if any capacitors or other components got damaged since the major listed failure is wrong voltages on the slot. Clean the slot out as well and make sure the riser card is seated in correctly.

Dear Krebizfan,

I replaced the battery. and reset the time.

I just don't get it because working so random... I bought the isa sound card and install for the first time and worked perfect. and restart the computer and boot diskette image screen comes on..

Anyhow.. thank you for your quick reply.

Are you plugging in just the riser card, or also the sound card (or some other cards) into it?

An ISA riser card is a passive thing - basically a bunch of connectors connected in parallel and bypass capacitors between supply voltages and ground. As the other thread suggests it could be something wrong with electrolytic capacitors on the riser board, so they short circuit (or otherwise create a low resistance path) between supply voltage and ground?

Back