• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandon Floppy drive latch

bettablue

Veteran Member
OK, here's the scenario. I have two full height drives of the same manufacturer. One had been previously cleaned and re-aligned twice by a member of the Forums. (You know who you are) Because I know from personal experience, I know the work was done properly, but one drive still refuses to read/write consistently, even on diskettes it creates. The other is perfect! :)

I currently have two other full height floppy drives, which are all in great condition and currently installed in my 5150; one of which was cleaned and realigned, and one which I had purchased as NOS from Recycled Goods out of California. Yeah, I know their prices are quite high, but what's done is done. :blush: Besides, I bought them before I knew anything about making deals here in the Forums. However, The NOS drive was clean, and checked for proper alignment prior to being shipped. That was part of the deal. :)

Each of the drives installed in my 5150 read and write floppy discs from each other flawlessly. Plus other original software diskettes work fine in these drives. But, the drive in question will only read diskettes from the other drives, and software diskettes sporadically, meaning that it will only read successfully about 20% of the time. Diskettes it creates are better, but not perfect. I would say that reading diskettes it created, works about 75% of the time. Then there is this: the drive fail to read a diskette now, but later it might read the diskette just fine. So there seems to be a lot going on with this one drive. :evilgrin2:

Which brings me to a question. I have a friend here in Vegas, who has another Tandon drive with a broken latch assembly. I know we can easily swap the latch from my old drive into his disc drive. The question is this though... Should I let him swap the latch from my floppy drive, and recycle the rest, or should I have the drive sent in one more time to see if it can be realigned again before we start taking things apart? :?:

I honestly hope I made sense explaining things here. If not, please, let me know and I'll try to clarify things.

I would love to hear your opinions.

As always. Thanks in advance.

Hasn't it already been suggested to use that shonky drive as spares? Let your mate sort his one out and be done with it is my suggestion. Keep the rest of it as spares

I believe that I posted, a couple of years ago, of a way to repair the faulty latch. It's very common failure on Tandon drives and one that can be repaired, permanently. I use sheet brass to do the job.

Hello Thomas, I think if that balky Tandon drive were mine I would put a tiny squirt of WD40 on each bearing end of the stepper motor. Set the drive on it's side and apply the WD, then let stand like that for a bit so the WD can soak in. Flip the drive on it's other side and repeat the process on the other side of the stepper. It's hard to get just a tiny squirt, but you don't want to drown it.

After setting the drive back on it's base, gently move the heads back and forth a few times with your finger tips. I would clean the heads before I tried a disk in it in case some spatter got on them.

I bought a Tandon TM100-2 from a member here (with the provision that it didn't work properly) that acted VERY much as you describe your drive behaving. This procedure totally put it right. I have also had this repair some old hard drives as well, though you can only access one side of the stepper on a hard drive.

Worth a shot.

Back