• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sinclair PC-200 repair

ProfNova

Hi I have a Sinclair PC-200 that needs repairing.

It boots up fine but the keyboard does not work as a capacitor has broken off the board so I get the check keyboard error and I have no idea what the capacitor is and I cant find anything online apart from a few low resolution images of it's motherboard that are too low to see the numbers on the capacitor. So I was wondering if anyone had this computer and could take a photo of the board or tell me what the capacitor is.

I have circled the capacitor in question in red it is the one at the front of the three capacitors there.

Sinclair_PC200_Mainboard_s2 cap red circle.jpg

Thx for any help in advance.

Thx to JohnElliott for sending me the manual I was able to find the part I needed and the computer is now in full working order.

pc-200 working.jpg

Hi,

I have exactly same problem.

Could you pleased indicate part needed to replace?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you John for PC 200 service manual.

The part you need to change to repair the keyboard is not a capacitor, but a 6MHz ceramic resonator

(I think it is a very common fault in the PC200 and the solution must be transmitted)

Thank you!!!

Outside the UK it was sold as the Amstrad PC20:

http://www.zonadepruebas.com/viewtopic.php?t=6018

M6WiFs.jpg

Outside UK & Spain almost.
Mine is spanish version!

IMG_20190822_102630.jpg
This is the keyboard issue component.

;)

I have the same problem. can you send me the manual to fix it or tell me what to do?

Hi,

The check keyboard is 99% of the time a problem in the membrane to clean or the string in the key that need to be tighten.

I never heard about this error can also come from a capacitor problem, good to know

1988 was the year when Olivetti PCS86 (and 286 and a bit later 386SX), Olivetti Prodest PC 1, Schneider Euro PC and similar systems arrived as home PC. Specially the Euro PC is a good comparison as it was at least quite popular in Germany. So the Sinclair was there at the right time for all who didn't wand to game with Amiga and Atari ST.

I have just dug out my old PC200 and have been working on getting in a running order, but I get the check keyboard error on power up.
The keyboard has been taken apart and cleaned and the membrane looks it good condition but it still gives me the error, so I was looking at the 6MHz ceramic resonator that has been listed here but cannot find the part number for it.

Does anyone know of the correct part?

@Troogroove you must roll up and unroll the membrane (be carefull) a few times. Roll it up gently, not too tight! If succesful, the membrane should work again and the keyboard error should be gone.

I have just dug out my old PC200 and have been working on getting in a running order, but I get the check keyboard error on power up.
The keyboard has been taken apart and cleaned and the membrane looks it good condition but it still gives me the error, so I was looking at the 6MHz ceramic resonator that has been listed here but cannot find the part number for it.

Does anyone know of the correct part?
On my keyboard I had to compres the springs in the keys.
You have to fing the key causing problem and press on the spring.

On my keyboard I had to compres the springs in the keys.
You have to fing the key causing problem and press on the spring.
Do the key caps just pull off or is there a special way to remove them? I am guessing that the problem is the spring is not returning the key to the proper height and making a connection.

@Troogroove you must roll up and unroll the membrane (be carefull) a few times. Roll it up gently, not too tight! If succesful, the membrane should work again and the keyboard error should be gone.
Thank you for the information as this has solved the keyboard problem, I now just have to fix the FDD as it cannot read a disk. I think that is down to a dirty head

Back