• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

That's a lot of extra cable

codeman

Experienced Member
Inside my IBM model 30-286 found it has a Cumulus buffered cable in it about 3' long .
It also loads cufloppy.sys in config.sys
Anyone have any info on it ?

DSCF2106.jpg
DSCF2108.jpg

ken

If it is the same Cumulus I recall, there should be an external port on the card that the cable attaches to. The other end of the cable should go to the floppy connector. It permits the addition of an external 5.25" floppy drive. Since all those cables hook the 5.25" drive to the primary controller, the 5.25" drive could be used as a boot (a: ) drive which really matters with some software. I think the Cumulus card only works with the Cumulus external drive. It would be unfortunate if the previous owner left out the external drive because it is basically useless without a Cumulus card.

Yes, that is a lot of cable but the card could be mounted in a full-size PC or XT chassis. An MCA variation of the card was also produced. Long cable is just right in towers.

Last edited:
I have one of those, a different name but same thing exactly. As far as I can tell, its an adapter for the proprietary floppy interface of ps/2's and makes it "standard". The external drive I have is a normal industry standard drive. I have a manual here, but I don't know for sure if my scanner works. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

That said, can I get a copy of the files it uses in config.sys and autoexec? I dont have them, and would really like to use my own drive.

edit: I posted about it may of last year actually; http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...-ps2-25-floppy-drive-issues-driver&highlight=

Here are the files Cumulus Files
this is what is displayed when it loads the cufloppy.sys

Businessland FDD Driver Ver. 1.2
Copyright (c) Cumulus Corporation 1988

I have no use the for the cable, so if anyone can use it pm me .

ken

thanks! From what I've been able to tell, it allows for standard external floppy drives.

Back