Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

5150 and 5160 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobba84
    replied
    Thanks guys I'll try and chase one up and see what happens!

Leave a comment:

• ibmapc
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Does that drive have the terminator pack installed? I couldn't tell from your vid.
    I'm with Chuck here. I replied to your other thread HERE
    Last edited by ibmapc; July 26, 2014, 08:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    I think so. I tried another drive which I know works, but it acts the same. I'll have to try another floppy controller.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Does that drive have the terminator pack installed? I couldn't tell from your vid.

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    Hi guys!

An update on the 5150 (hopefully this post works, I've had trouble posting lately!)

It boots fine, but the floppy drive goes insane! I can only show you what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4471qGULYY

I have tried two drives and two cables. Do you think the controller is stuffed? I could pull the floppy controller out of the 5160 but I kinda don't want to unless there are no other suggestions.

Thanks in advance
    Bobby.

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    Hi guys,

Another update - the 5160 is going well now! But I have another strange problem with the 5150!

It boots up okay now, but the floppy drive goes mental!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4471qGULYY

This video will explain it... Does anyone know what on earth it happening?

I've tried a different floppy drive and another cable. Should I pull the floppy controller out of the 5160 and try that?

Thanks!
    Bobby.

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    Originally posted by modem7 View Post
    Yes, 10 bad RAM chips is "quite a few".

I have added your faulty motherboard to the list at [here].
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by bobba84 View Post
    it seems I had quite a few bad RAM chips on the motherboard
    Yes, 10 bad RAM chips is "quite a few".

I have added your faulty motherboard to the list at [here].

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    Hi guys,

Just an update for those who might be interested - thanks to Ray's generous help with the Landmark ROM I was able to get it booted - it seems I had quite a few bad RAM chips on the motherboard (plus the original problem of a short due to a bad tantalum cap on my 384k RAM expansion card) - so now I am just sorting through what RAM chips I have lying around to get a full 256k of good ones again. I have a toasted xt clone board with a few so I might have enough. Needless to say I'm a happy chap!

Thanks again to all who helped / contributed!

Bobby.

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    Hi again modem7,

I have had it with my EPROM programmer. It's a cheap nasty one and I've wasted two 27c256's on it!

I noticed you are also in Melbourne - would it be okay if I took you up on the offer of replacement BIOS chips? I'll send you money to cover them!

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    Thanks modem7. I'll try swapping the RAM from the other banks first, then look at the BIOS. I have an eprom programmer, but no chips of that size. I'll buy one from the local guy if my bios appears bad.

Appreciate all your help!

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    I got to the end of the instructions where it asked me to swap the RAM chips in banks 0 and 1 - which I did, but it still won't post.
    The failure of any of many components on the motherboard will cause an 'appears dead' symptom. Faulty RAM in bank 0 is one relatively common cause, and that is why there was the suggestion to try swapping bank 1 RAM with bank 0 RAM. And it's easy to do on a 5160 motherboard.

But you cannot cross out faulty bank 0 RAM off the list yet. It could be that you have multiple faulty RAM chips scattered over both banks 0 and 1. If so, swapping those banks does nothing (other than perhaps rectifying a bad electrical connection). Your 5160 motherboard is the 256K type, and that means that all four banks use the same type of RAM chip (although possibly of different manufacturer). The chances of faulty RAM in all four banks has to be pretty low. Try swapping bank 2 into bank 0, and if that does not change things, then try swapping bank 3 into bank 0. Of course, while you are doing that, use ESD protection practices.

Your 5150 motherboard is operational. You could try swapping the 8088 CPU chip from that into the 5160.

Failure of a BIOS ROM is another possibility. Do you have an EPROM programmer and 27256 (or 27C256) EPROMs? If so, you could try the Supersoft/Landmark diagnostics at [here], or make replacement BIOS ROM chips from the images at [here]. If not, I can post EPROMs to you.

The speakers makes a 'tick' noise when power is applied, but I remember it doing this when first powering on even when it worked.
    Yes, ignore that. It results from a surge of current going through the speaker when power is applied to the motherboard.

Leave a comment:

• bobba84
    replied
    It has 256k on board, with jumpers set correctly. All cards removed. I might pull the board out of the case tonight and check the bottom for dry joints, etc. It's all I can think of at present. The power supply runs the 5150 board fine, so I'm pretty sure that's okay.

Leave a comment:

• SpidersWeb
    replied
    Only bank 0 is required for boot.
    If the amount is incorrect on the switches it'll still start up and beep.

Leave a comment:

• Chromedome45
    replied
    So how much RAM is on the Motherboard right now? 256k? Did you remember to set the jumpers to indicate that amount? I am guessing you have the 384K RAM card still pulled out? Just my guess as to what is happening. Good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X