• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5162 serial port, 9600bps, interlink -- use xcopy with /v?

luvit

Experienced Member
5162 serial port, 9600bps, interlink -- use xcopy with /v?

I just started >3hr xcopy transfer of >14MB (I had no more hard drive space to zip the files before transferring).
I'm xferring nearly 1,000 files and did not want to have the overhead of verifying file transfers..

I have not xcopied over interlnk in a bazillion years.
What is your confidence level of me not using the verify switch with xcopy?

I don't believe that xcopy has any knowledge of interlink. The speed should be the same with or without the /v. The verify is probably to verify that it was written from ram to the hard drive properly.

Interlink is listed as having error correcting ability so there should not be many errors get through. Retries will slow the transfer down.

If you don't want to spend the time verifying every file, create hash values for every file on both systems and then compare the hashes.

I would still run some form of verification after the transfer ends. It is easy to repeat the transfer of any files that failed while the system is still hooked up.

My view of this is, if you don't want to take the time to verify the data was correctly copied, then don't bother doing the copy.

(Which is why I still have my original BASIC programs from over 30 years ago ...)

I don't believe that xcopy has any knowledge of interlink. The speed should be the same with or without the /v. The verify is probably to verify that it was written from ram to the hard drive properly.
What makes you think that, why does XCOPY have to have a knowledge of Interlink, and what would be the point of verifying if not to compare the copied file to the original?

FWIW, ZIPping is an excellent method of preserving the integrity of files that need to be transferred. When files are unZIPped their CRCs are verified.

PKZIP is so versatile and I use it all the time so I have BAT files for it. The main one is U.BAT and it reads... pkunzip %1 %2 %3 %4.

The /V option on the standard DOS commands does not verify the contents - it just makes sure that the target is readable.

This dates back to the floppy era ... it was assumed that if there was a problem, it was due to bad media. If the block was bad, a verify pass on the newly written data would detect that.

The /V option on the standard DOS commands does not verify the contents - it just makes sure that the target is readable.

This dates back to the floppy era ... it was assumed that if there was a problem, it was due to bad media. If the block was bad, a verify pass on the newly written data would detect that.
That's pretty well what Krille's link said, but thanks for making it explicit.

That's funny. Nothing in the link that Krille posted has the word "floppy" in it. Or the insight that it was just a matter of verifying that if the write was good, the data was probably good too.

Troll somebody else.

That's funny. Nothing in the link that Krille posted has the word "floppy" in it. Or the insight that it was just a matter of verifying that if the write was good, the data was probably good too.

Troll somebody else.
Well, excuuuuuse me... And sorry if I missed your 'insight' that "if the write was good, the data was probably good too." Probably, yes, but for sure not definitely, at least in my experience, FWIW.

Will that get me banned again?

Sheesh! :wallbang:

Last edited:
Well, excuuuuuse me... And sorry if I missed your 'insight' that "if the write was good, the data was probably good too." Probably, yes, but for sure not definitely, at least in my experience, FWIW.

Will that get me banned again?

Sheesh! :wallbang:

You made a point of implying that I had a content-free post that was merely a repetition of a previous post. It was not. You like to troll people to provoke a reaction. Well, here it is.

Pick up some reading comprehension skills while you are gone. And if you don't like the reaction, stop looking for it.

I've been swamped with my university assignment that's due tomorrow, but managed to squeeze-in MikeS' recommendation on verification right away this afternoon. Everything verified 100% good shape with SWEEP.
I know what I would have done differently before I wrote the OP, but I learned a bit more thanks to everyone's great feedback.
I normally would have used ZIP for the interlnk transfer, but like I said, I had no drive space left to make a zip of 14MB of files (I had less than 200K left on the drive).

Troll somebody else.
MB, I didn't see trolling.. Don't you see yourself provoking towards that ban?
I don't want banned. I'm just reflecting perspective. His posts have been helpful and bubbly, since July.

Back