• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got a HEAVILY modified PCjr, got a couple Q's.

luckybob

Veteran Member
Long story short I picked up a PCjr in a pile of other systems. I originally thought it was two systems, but it turns out its one heavily modified unit, from pc enterprises.

link to image album: http://imgur.com/a/qdCOh#12

From a cursory glance, the internals have a 196kb memory card, a modem, an updated power supply, a chassis expansion, a scsi sidecar with scsi hard drive. 30mb? 2 carts, and 2 unknown sidecars, one with a db25.

I have little to no desire for a pcjr system, considering I have a ps/2 model 25 setup. But I'd really like to test this setup out, because a tested unit on ebay tends to sell for more than untested.

What is the proper way to teardown this machine? i want to see what the sidecars are, and if there has been any sort of modification to the cpu.

I dont have the keyboard nor monitor. I did get a cga color screen in the same pile, but I don't yet know if it works. ( its a big pile of goodies if you see the rest of the album)

There should be a composite output jack which should get you started, if nothing else. That speedup cartridge is interesting. Never seen one before.

Btw, is that Power 830 looking for a home, he asked hopefully?

Be very, very careful and take lots of pictures.

PC Enterprises offered the widest variety of modifications, many of which required you sending them your PCjr. That system might have "The Tandy Mod" and a modification to the 64K RAM card. The Tandy Mod is well known, but their 192K modification is extremely rare. (I've never seen one.)

The SCSI sidecar is another great option.

Did you get power bricks with it? You can test with a CGA adapter but you will need an adapter to convert the PCjr display port to a CGA compatible connector. Or just use the composite connector on the system board.

There should be a composite output jack which should get you started, if nothing else. That speedup cartridge is interesting. Never seen one before.

Btw, is that Power 830 looking for a home, he asked hopefully?

I have no plans for it. ^.^ give me a week to sort everything out proper.

Be very, very careful and take lots of pictures.

PC Enterprises offered the widest variety of modifications, many of which required you sending them your PCjr. That system might have "The Tandy Mod" and a modification to the 64K RAM card. The Tandy Mod is well known, but their 192K modification is extremely rare. (I've never seen one.)

The SCSI sidecar is another great option.

Did you get power bricks with it? You can test with a CGA adapter but you will need an adapter to convert the PCjr display port to a CGA compatible connector. Or just use the composite connector on the system board.

the 196k ram is actually a replacement ram card by the looks of it. I did not get a power brick, nor did I need one. that massive aluminum box has a standard 3-pin power connector that EVERYTHING uses today. I'll do some more tinkering tonight maybe. get some really good pics.

Ok got some more pics:

http://imgur.com/a/0eSxz#0 The pictures are pretty self-explanitory.

sadly it seems like the hard drive is dead. this would explain why it was loose in the PCjr when I first got it. First time it posted fine, but when i rebooted to catch a camera photo of the 640kb it seems to have a memory error. overall the system seems fine! I could probably test it further if I had a keyboard.

I'm thinking of ebay, any thoughts on this?

Back