• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Paint Color for PC/XT case ??

KLund1

Veteran Member
Hi,
I have a PC case with several small area that were rusted. I used a rust removal pink jell, and all is well. But those spots are still there and are discolored. The texture is fine.
I read that others have gone to the extreme lengths and spending several hundred dollars to get a paint match and respray from Auto paint shops. That is a bit much for my limited hobby budget. And my machine is not going to be spending time outside in the elements. So a hard costing like that seems like overkill to me.
Anyone have any luck from a spray can from Lowe's or Home Depot, other?
Thanks

Spray cans will do a great job, the hardest thing is matching the color. I recently painted some Apple II drive housings after I sanded off some engraving. I took the housing along with me to the hardware store and got the closest color I could find. Result turned out really well and was very cheap.

You can achieve similar results for texture with the "marbled" and other texture-finish paints from hardware stores. They usually come in odd shades like "olive fern greenish" and "brick tomato red", but that could then be painted over, at a push, with a matched color.

I don't know what they used to create the pebbled finish in the paint, tbh. I've just painted things with those type of garden-chair paint and noticed a distinct similarity in texture.

YMMV

--Phil

If I had to guess, on some cases (not necessarily IBM), the paint was allowed to dry to the point that it was tacky, then something was laid on top of it, then pulled off. It seems that way in some cases (no pun intended). But more then likely they used a spray gun that was made to spit causing that final coat to have a gravelly texture. Or perhaps a combination of both of the above.
In theory you can match any color. It's tedious though. I happen to like Rustoleum, have nearly every color they make (which isn't that many). But it dries too glossy. I think you can (don't quote me) dull it some with Japan drier or something. It might make as much sense if you're trying to perfectly duplicate a color is to start off w/dry pigments. Don't ask me where to find them (other then an art store, expensive likely).
If you're not going to spray w/a professional gun, your results may be mixed from a spray can. I'm not particularly that good w/a spray can, but I can do an ok job. Another method is to thin the paint (with paint thinner) to the consistency of milk nearly. Then apply it with a foam brush (a roller is likely to produce more bubbles, but they're difficult to avoid). Since the paint is so thin, imperfection tend to blend away (w/o touching it). Then you do multiple coats, sanding in between w/a fine grit wet/dry sand paper (400? 600?). The stuff they use for autos is ideal, can be had at Walmart. And wet the paper well (water) and go over it gently at first, in a circular fashion, circles on the tight side. This will allow successive coats to stick better.

If the spots are small and there is only a few, you could also consider using a "touch up paint" rather than painting the entire thing.

Gonna open up this thread again and ask if anyone knows the code for the grey that matches the Pantone 413. Google has not been useful

I am starting down this path as well. After thoroughly cleaning I am still left with monitor rubber feet marks and some bare metal. I didn't know about Pantone 413 so I thought I would try getting some samples made at Ace Hardware just to see if they would match at all. My plan is to match as close as possible and then use a Preval sprayer to apply it. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CW809ZO

Here is a before picture of the outside of the case:
IMG_20200711_155618sm.jpg

Here is the results of three color matches on the inside of the case. Option 1 is an eggshell finish that matches the best IMHO from a color perspective. Options 2 and 3 were with a satin finish which matched the sheen more accurately but seemed to make the color a shade too bright.
IMG_20200711_155837sm.jpg

So, I am going to try option 1 and see how it goes. I will lose a little sheen, but I could go back and do the other color or try some more options if I don't like it. Also, the sample was free and I have enough to put a few coats on at least. :) If anyone is interested in the exact formulation, here is a picture.
IMG_20200711_160013sm.jpg

I will send updates when I am done painting.

Last edited:
Isn't that a water-base (i.e. Latex) paint meant for walls and wood? I don't know how well that will work on metal.

If I was striping this down to bare metal it might be a problem, but since this is essentially a top coat on top of a textured surface it should be fine once it has cured. Time will tell I guess. This is a good tip for those who are striping a case completely because of rust, etc.

If I was striping this down to bare metal it might be a problem, but since this is essentially a top coat on top of a textured surface it should be fine once it has cured. Time will tell I guess. This is a good tip for those who are striping a case completely because of rust, etc.

Actually no it won't, at least not for sure. I recently painted a case (close color match and painted over the original color). I even let the paint set out in the sun and tried baking it in an oven w/ no luck. The paint maintains a sticky feel to it. It is certainly not slick like the original. It is also not as hard and scratches very easily. If you decide to go with a latex paint from a regular paint store buy the highest quality paint you can. I have not tried oil based paint yet. In CA that is much harder as you can not get oil based paint easily anymore and certainly not color matched (AFAIK).

The website I referenced has the option of 2 pack rattle can spray as well, with a small can of hardner built into the main can. That should be hard enough.

Re: IBM PC/XT - Has anyone ever tried Panatone 413? May be real close if not the original thing.

Last edited:
Back