• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PCjr - Best way to sell ?

CW81151

I've got my old IBM PCjr system that I want to sell.
It's the whole system with CPU, Monitor, Keyboard, 2 joysticks, Printer, 20-30 games and additional software.
I broke it out over the holiday to see what worked ... and everything works - so of course I tested every game.
Good fun, but I don't have the time to enjoy it anymore.

I tried selling it as a bundle on ebay last year, but didn't get any bites. I probably had it overpriced.
I'd rather not piece it out as that could take me forever and shipping it individually would suck.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this to someone who would enjoy the whole system ?
I'm in the Detroit metro area ... are there any stores or collectors locally who would want to buy it ?

Appreciate any advice on how to find a good home for this thing.

Thanks,
CW

You are not going to make a killing on a PCjr unless you have something very unusual.

Advertise widely, and most importantly, get it to a good home. Don't just give it away for free - in general a good home means that somebody will value it and is willing to pay a little up front to get it.

You might want to consider breaking it up, but doing so with a couple of lots instead of each small item individually.

For example, perhaps seperate out the Monitor, CPU, printer, and software - but include the joysticks with the CPU and have two or three lots of software as long as each lot has at least one recognizable and desirable title.

But if you are intent on keeping it as one system then you have done the right thing by asking about it here. There very well could be someone local and then you can save on shipping and eBay fees.

I tried selling it as a bundle on ebay last year, but didn't get any bites. I probably had it overpriced.
Why not tell us what you were asking for it? If it was something like 500 US$, no one here will be able to give you advise on how to sell it for that price.

If you just want to sell it on ebay, let it start at 1 US$. If you instead have a fixed value in mind that you want to get for it, try selling it in a forum like this one. Note however that people here know the value and not buy overpriced stuff.

The big issue is the monitor and subsequently shipping. To PROPERLY ship a fragile monitor costs quite a lot and that really eats into what people will pay for a system. I would advertise locally on something like craigslist, if it doesn't go in a week or two, split it up like someguy suggested and put it on ebay,

The games might be worth something separately. if they are of the same vintage as the PCjr itself, some of them can go for nice prices. If I could send you a PM, I would throw you an offer on just the games. I already have 3 PCjrs and don't need to buy another one just to pick up a game or two. :)

I just got a PCjr from eBay for $50 but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. The shipping for the entire thing in 2 boxes was only $20 but the guy didn't really pack them well so that may be part of the reason why it's not working now, I don't know. Anyway, while I was searching eBay I did see a complete system with a bunch of games and some extras sell for $250, so you should be able to get some decent money for it. You could sell everything separately but I think it would take a long time to get rid of everything that way.

In many ways, the PCjr is the ultimate hobby computer.... they are inexpensive, and they are overlooked/under-appreciated, and are reasonably capable and have enough warts (features?) to make them interesting as tinker toys and supply far outstrips demand for the common items, while there are enough rarer items to whet a collector's appetite. I reckon that a lot of people's opinion to this day of them is colored by the considerable unfavorable press that accompanied it's arrival: for instance, "OMG! chicklet keyboard", which IMO is actually pretty decent. In that respect they are in the same company with another under-appreciated machine and my personal favorite: the Coleco ADAM computer. Unfortunately for you, that doesn't make for a big payday, and I am in no way saying that to be unsympathetic or belittling, you sound like you have good intentions. Personally I think everyone should want one as they are interesting machines and it's quickly become one of my favorites in my collection. ;)

My advice would be to inventory the thing to see what you have and as mbbrutman says, advertise widely. The quickest way to get rid of a reasonable sized PCjr collection is probably not a single lot. Remember, they aren't widely sought after so your potential audience is all over the place, and shipping charges tend to discourage would-be buyers, particularly if there's a monitor involved that they may not care about and vice versa, but please don't toss it in the bin if you can help it.

Thanks for all the input ... I did end up listing it on ebay as a complete system for $350 (before I read all your comments).
I'll let that run and see if it sells. If not, I'll take the advice and try to break it up a little into smaller items.
I'm not trying to get rich from selling it, but when I look on ebay, some of the components are going for $50-$100 each, so I thought $350 was a fair system price.
Especially when it's a plug and play system where everything works.
I am an ebay rookie tho, so I also appreciate the comments on shipping monitors and shipping woes. I'll try to do my best packaging if indeed it does sell.

hargle - if my ebay listing expires without an offer, yes, I can give you a list of the games and we can negotiate a deal.

Stone - same thing, once the ebay listing is done, I will consider parting it out ... although I'd prob sell you the whole CPU so I don't damage the motherboard while cuttin' her open.

Again, thanks for all the comments.

I've successfully shipped things like all-in-one macs and other similar items internationally. Best advice is to double box everything, and don't skimp on the peanuts/bubblewrap. Or take it to a "professional" pack-n-ship place and pay through the nose.

Back