• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TVM monitor input identification

romanon

Veteran Member
Hello i obtained very interesting EGA compatible TVM Multi-Function/2 Color Monitor

fotka 2.jpg

fotka 3.jpg

i am interesting in this input. What kind is it? Thanks

fotka 1.jpg

It may be an early version of the dreaded SCART connector. There was a brief version that had a round connector.

bad news, i connected monitor through 9pin d-sub cable, it looks like some cathodes are burned...

a5ac802475a81f5136b78e3dd6defe58.jpg

Looks like you're missing green. Could be cathode gun balance adjustments, RGB connection or a circuit problem, not necessarily the tube. Are you comfortable with removing the back cover and taking pictures?
The RGB level adjustments are usually internal along with a service switch to set the white balance. I am not familiar with this model but most CRT displays are basically the same.

Larry G

I will take pictures of inside next week. But one more thing. As I thought, this monitor also support VGA/SVGA mode after schwitching to analog position and insert 15pin reduction.
Here is picture from windows XP, 800x600x32b. It looks like colors are right, but only bit of left side...

fotka-2 (3)_změnit velikost.jpg

I will take pictures of inside next week. But one more thing. As I thought, this monitor also support VGA/SVGA mode after schwitching to analog position and insert 15pin reduction.
Here is picture from windows XP, 800x600x32b. It looks like colors are right, but only bit of left side...

I may be getting this confused with trinitron tubes, but it looks like a convergence problem. The green is lined up correctly, on the left, but out of wack for the rest.

Also this monitor looks suspiciously like the NEC multisync. Same analog/digital switch etc. From what i can remember the NEC does support 800x600, just poorly, its a bit more than it can handle. I think it officially supported 800x560 or some odd resolution. Perhaps if you feed it 640x480 you would get a better picture. There is still something wrong with it anyway, its just it may be easier to determine/align if it isn't running outside of its official range. If you know this can officially do 800x600 then what i have said should not apply.

Try other resolutions and connections, etc. but if the problem is always a bright band on the left side, I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. The bias voltage for the cathodes of the CRT are derived from the HV transformer
and is approx 150-200 VDC. There will be a capacitor maybe 47mfd 200V that goes bad and causes a bright band on the left area of screen and video smearing. If that is what you are seeing, either a schematic or pictures of the
circuit board will help identify which one. Color CRT circuits from that time period are all quite similar.

Larry G

Just replacing all the caps while you are in there wouldn't hurt. It only costs about $25 and it will clear up any other issues that you might not see.

Bump : very interesting topic !

I've got the exact same monitor since 2017 and it has the exact same issue. Moreover, I have its manual and this monitor. It claims to be able to support up to 1024x768 res, and this is pretty much all the video modes supported : (plus I've seen NTSC and PAL mentionned somewhere else, probably that weird connector).

Just like I said though, it has the same issue as OP's monitor :
But that makes me confident the issue is caused by a faulty component inside :D
One small problem though is that this monitor is quite complicated on the inside, it has at least four cards serving different purposes and there's a ton of different wires getting in various places which makes the monitor quite hard to disassemble entirely. But anyways, I did it at least once few years ago and here's the bottom card :

To answer your initial question, according to the manual, the plug is for an optional "TV-Mouse" thingy. That thingy came with a speaker built in and it lets you turn this monitor into a TV as it seems to let you plug any PAL/NTSC composite device to the monitor.

By the way, what would be the best place to upload the manual. I believe many people would be interested by it ! As you may expect, it documents everything this monitor can do.

To answer your initial question, according to the manual, the plug is for an optional "TV-Mouse" thingy. That thingy came with a speaker built in and it lets you turn this monitor into a TV as it seems to let you plug any PAL/NTSC composite device to the monitor.
G'day I can provide pictures and such of the TV-Mouse.

Hello ! Yes I would love to see pics of that thing, especially if you can open it
Hi. Did you manage to upload those docs? Wondering what it says about TV-Mouse.
Here’s a quick pic with MacBook 13inch for comparison. It’s quite big and it happens to fit perfectly on top of the monitor at the back so it can be hidden away or on the desk. It does work and I’ll try to do some footage one day. It’s not obvious how to open it, but I think there will be screws under the rubber feet.

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Back