Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM 5170 6mhz board won't boot.. "dead"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by offensive_Jerk View Post
    It had two banks of RAM filled. I removed one bank and set the jumper to 256k setting and tried swapping the ram modules around and still didn't boot.

I bought some extra RAM on ebay types MT1128-15 4128P and TMS41128A-15NL. Not enough to completely fill one whole bank, but I tried different combinations of new and old and still didn't boot. Unless most of the RAM chips failed, I suspect something else is hosed.
    Since it only takes one bad chip to kill the bank you really need at least one good bank of known good chips to really be able to determine anything concrete. Otherwise you might just be spinning your wheels.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
      Since it only takes one bad chip to kill the bank you really need at least one good bank of known good chips to really be able to determine anything concrete. Otherwise you might just be spinning your wheels.
      Wasn't that the point of getting the Supersoft ROMS?

Originally posted by Modem7
      Note that the Supersoft ROM diagnostics display something on-screen even if the motherboard has no RAM fitted.
      I have a Major in Post-Apocalyptic Economics.
      Wanted: Any PC-Compatible Reciprocation Dingle Arm

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post

If you listen long enough, is that what you hear - six of those "Two-tone" beeps followed by a single short beep? Then, the same pattern of beeps repeats over and over.
        Yes, this is what I hear. Anything else I can try? The 10mhz cpu didn't work either. I'll try a CGA card/Monitor and see what happens, but after that I'm stumped.

Comment

I just tried the combination of the Supersoft ROMs and a clone MDA card in one of my early (and functional) 5170s, and I am hearing the 'no video card, or cannot initialise video card' beep pattern.
          I then tried an IBM CGA card and an IBM EGA card - same beep pattern.
          !!!!!
          So right now, I appear to be seeing (hearing) what you are. Of course, I am going to do some experimentation to work out what is going on.
          Last edited by modem7; January 6, 2017, 05:15 PM. Reason: Clone MDA, not IBM MDA

Comment

I just tried the combination of the Supersoft ROMs and an IBM MDA card in one of my early (and functional) 5170s, and I am hearing the 'no video card, or cannot initialise video card' beep pattern.
            I then tried an IBM CGA card and an IBM EGA card - same beep pattern.
            !!!!!
            So right now, I appear to be seeing (hearing) what you are. Of course, I am going to do some experimentation to work out what is going on.
            I d been fooling with this thing. I can't get it to boot with the ibm chs card or a Persydtm color II. Just makes the alarm noise

Comment

I d been fooling with this thing. I can't get it to boot with the ibm chs card or a Persydtm color II. Just makes the alarm noise
              I am still experimenting, but a few times, I fell for the trap of not waiting enough time. The AT version of the Landmark ROMs takes about 20 seconds before it displays anything.

Comment

Background: If I am using the Landmark ROMs, it is normally the XT ones, and I do no bother with a speaker connection.

After experimentation with the AT version of the Landmark ROMs, some preliminary results follow:

VIDEO BEEP PATTERN

Even on a fully functional IBM 5170 (of type 1 motherboard), using a compatible video card, I get the 'no video card, or cannot initialise video card' beep pattern. So, I am seeing a display (after the 20 second delay), and the Landmark tests run successfully to completion. It is just that for whatever reason, I am getting the misleading video beep pattern at the start. It happened for:
                * IBM CGA card
                * IBM EGA card (note: EGA works but the display is poor)
                * Clone MDA card
                * Clone CGA card

For now, I consider this to be a bug in the AT version of the Landmark ROMs. Need to verify the above on other 5170 motherboards that I have.

IBM MDA

The IBM MDA card results were interesting. I have two spares, both functional (tested today). I do not hear the 'no video card, or cannot initialise video card' beep pattern. I do not see a display. Both IBM MDA cards present the same symptoms. If I then simply substitute my clone MDA card, beeps and display happen.

Above verified on a second 5170 motherboard.

Surprising to me was that if there was going to be a problem, I would have expected it to have been with the clone MDA card and not the IBM one.

Presumably, some clone MDA cards (being better clones that mine) will behave the same as for the IBM MDA.

Comment

So odd...
                  That beeping totally threw me off. I thought I waited long enough, but I guess I didn't.
                  So, I got something on the screen!!!

It passes all the tests, then reports an error, then another error, but it doesn't tell me what.

************EDIT*******
                  I just realized there is a keyboard test while reading the manual. I don't think I had the keyboard plugged in. Going to rerun the test.

Last edited by offensive_Jerk; January 6, 2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Ignore that first video. I ran it again with the battery plugged in. I got a LOT of errors!

Comment

So odd...
                      That beeping totally threw me off.
                      It certainly distracted me.

Ignore that first video. I ran it again with the battery plugged in.
                      Hmmm. Shouldn't need one.

Is that repeatable? I.e. If battery missing, PROTECTED MODE CPU stalls. If battery present, PROTECTED MODE CPU fails but tests continue.

I got a LOT of errors!
                      But some of those are probably understandable (e.g. no floppy controller + drive plugged in).

The ones always expected to pass are the PROTECTED MODE CPU test, the REAL TIME CLOCK INTERRUPT, and CMOS RAM TEST.

All three of those correlate nicely with the failure of the VERIFY SHUTDOWN STATUS BYTE test within the POST of the IBM BIOS ROM.

Supersoft test: PROTECTED MODE CPU

Within the MC146818 CMOS RTC chip is some RAM, and one of the RAM bytes is used to store the SHUTDOWN STATUS BYTE (shown [here]). One use of that byte is when the BIOS switches the CPU out of protected mode (done by resetting the CPU via the keyboard controller, per [here]).

Supersoft test: REAL TIME CLOCK INTERRUPT

An interrupt generated by the MC146818 CMOS RTC chip.

Supersoft test: CMOS RAM TEST

RAM within the MC146818 CMOS RTC chip.

IBM ROM POST test: VERIFY SHUTDOWN STATUS BYTE

RAM within the MC146818 CMOS RTC chip.

So everything is pointing to the CMOS MC146818 RTC chip, or its supporting circuitry. (partial diagram)

Does a very close visual inspection of the MC146818 RTC chip and the surrounding area reveal anything odd ?
                      Last edited by modem7; January 6, 2017, 06:53 PM. Reason: (Diagram) --> (partial diagram)

Comment

Is that repeatable? I.e. If battery missing, PROTECTED MODE CPU stalls. If battery present, PROTECTED MODE CPU fails but tests continue.
                        Yes, it is repeatable. I just tested this again.

Does a very close visual inspection of the MC146818 RTC chip and the surrounding area reveal anything odd ?
                        Not that I can "see" visually

Comment

After experimentation with the AT version of the Landmark ROMs, some preliminary results follow:
                          After doing more experimentation, I have listed the results in the notes at [here].

Comment

Not that I can "see" visually
                            That general area sits beneath the battery, and therefore is often the first area to be affected by a leaking battery.

Comment

Yes, it is repeatable. I just tested this again.
                              So,
                              Battery absent: During the PROTECTED MODE TEST, the Supersoft/Landmark ROMs restart from scratch (per your video in post #23).
                              Battery present: The PROTECTED MODE TEST completes (the test takes about 25 seconds), then the remaining tests are done.

I have two type 1 motherboards, and for both, the presence/absence of a battery has no effect on the output of the Supersoft/Landmark ROMs.

At first I thought, I know what the cause is. This will be failure of the area that I have marked as '+5V SWITCH' in the diagram at [here] - with no battery present, the CMOS/RTC circuitry is not getting power when the motherboard is powered on.

But I am not convinced, e.g. if the switch had failed, then with a battery present, surely the motherboard would start up normally with the IBM BIOS ROMs fitted.

Anyhow, the switch can be quickly ruled out. Do you have the ability to measure DC voltage? If so, remove the battery, then measure pin 24 of the MC146818P chip (U117) when the motherboard is powered on. You should measure about +5 volts.

Comment

So,
                                Battery absent: During the PROTECTED MODE TEST, the Supersoft/Landmark ROMs restart from scratch (per your video in post #23).
                                Battery present: The PROTECTED MODE TEST completes (the test takes about 25 seconds), then the remaining tests are done.

I have two type 1 motherboards, and for both, the presence/absence of a battery has no effect on the output of the Supersoft/Landmark ROMs.

At first I thought, I know what the cause is. This will be failure of the area that I have marked as '+5V SWITCH' in the diagram at [here] - with no battery present, the CMOS/RTC circuitry is not getting power when the motherboard is powered on.

But I am not convinced, e.g. if the switch had failed, then with a battery present, surely the motherboard would start up normally with the IBM BIOS ROMs fitted.

Anyhow, the switch can be quickly ruled out. Do you have the ability to measure DC voltage? If so, remove the battery, then measure pin 24 of the MC146818P chip (U117) when the motherboard is powered on. You should measure about +5 volts.
                                I get no voltage reading off of pin 24 of U117 when the system is powered up.

Comment

Working...
                                X