Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re D7 PD, this is for device detection. CSEL should be tied directly to ground (sorry if this is already caught). Nice PCB layout (and colour!).

There is a Lo-tech full IDE PCB too btw.

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post

I have a few question about your XT-ide board..

1. Is it possible to get this PCB in a different color ( i would prefer green instead)

2. Is it possible to edit /move some of the tekst on the PCB.

3. Like to know if you can make the kit somewhat cheaper to only provide the parts that are hard to get (seems that the IC chips easilly could be bought by the buyer on ebay or so. (like the bracket)

4. Which ROM / bios are you going to use?

5. Why is interrupt 2 right behind interrupt 7 ? and not 2,3,5,7

I really have intrest to order 5 boards, but before that i really would like see a working example. Maybe i could buy a bigger lot from you.. (20 and or 30 pieces) but i really need think about that.
      Last edited by Robin4; May 4, 2016, 05:41 PM.
      THE BIOS MASTER

Comment

Interrupts are not used in the XTIDE Universal BIOS anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin4 View Post
          1. Is it possible to get this PCB in a different color ( i would prefer green instead)
          The purple is just a prototype rendering from OSH Park. The final boards will be deep cyan blue. You are of course welcome to run them in a color of your choosing, but I'll be doing a single run of a single color to keep costs down.

2. Is it possible to edit /move some of the tekst on the PCB.
          Yes, but I've placed the current text where it is to try and keep the board self-documenting. What do you think should be moved?

3. Like to know if you can make the kit somewhat cheaper to only provide the parts that are hard to get (seems that the IC chips easilly could be bought by the buyer on ebay or so. (like the bracket)
          The short answer to this is, "probably no." I will likely pull parts for a number of kits and bag them up. Splitting out parts and figuring out what the remaining kit bits should cost is more work for me. Besides, I doubt the average person, buying quantities of 2-3 ICs at a time, will be able to beat my kit costs if purchasing from reputable suppliers (i.e. actual parts suppliers, not some random guy on eBay).

4. Which ROM / bios are you going to use?
          Assembled boards will probably ship with the 1.x series Universal BIOS. I will be using Atmel 28C64B 8K EEPROMs unless there's a lot of demand for 28C256. The board can of course use any of the available BIOSes since I've left the jumpers for the Chuck Mod on.

5. Why is interrupt 2 right behind interrupt 7 ? and not 2,3,5,7
          Because that was the easiest way to lay it out. If this actually bothers people I'm sure I can put them in order. As pearce_jj said, interrupts aren't even used on this board.

I really have intrest to order 5 boards, but before that i really would like see a working example. Maybe i could buy a bigger lot from you.. (20 and or 30 pieces) but i really need think about that.
          And before any one individual decides they want 20 or 30, they'll need to put cash up front! I got stuck with a huge surplus of various expensive components (anyone need Eurobus connectors?) after a previous failed kit project, wherein many people said they wanted kits, but no one wanted to pay for them when I'd gotten all of the components together. Lesson learned.
          Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by pearce_jj View Post
            Re D7 PD, this is for device detection. CSEL should be tied directly to ground (sorry if this is already caught). Nice PCB layout (and colour!).

There is a Lo-tech full IDE PCB too btw.
            Thanks for the clarification! I'd figured out CSEL needed to be tied to ground, but I'd left the pull-down on D7 just because I wasn't 100% sure about its function.
            Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Isnt a production run on a green pcb not cheaper then deep cyan blue, because green was the basic color back then and was used for a lot of ISA card.. Deep cyan blue would be a more special color to me so it would be more expensiver.

At question 3: I presume that you going to sell a full kit then? So the buyer dont have to look after the right parts.

Why are there interrupt settings on the board if the universal bios dont use them at all? And does this adapter then works faster without these interrupt settings? (faster transfer rate)
              THE BIOS MASTER

Comment

The IRQs can be removed, all the BIOS does is request a transfer then poll the status bit, then rep INSW to transfer the sector (with chuck mod). Writes are slower with this MUX design, of course writes are less frequent in practice.

Comment

Isnt a production run on a green pcb not cheaper then deep cyan blue...
                  Not necessarily. Individual board houses (mostly all in China now) base their raw PCB prices very close, irregardless of silk-screen color. Personally I'd prefer any blue board over a green one since soldering issues are far easier to inspect on a blue board than a green one.

Comment

Originally posted by pearce_jj View Post
                    then rep INSW to transfer the sector (with chuck mod)
                    It just dawned on me, this won't work on dodgy systems like the AT&T PC 6300. If the "Chuck Mod" is permanent, then this board has no chance of working in those systems, does it?
                    Offering a bounty for:
                    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Isnt a production run on a green pcb not cheaper then deep cyan blue, because green was the basic color back then and was used for a lot of ISA card.. Deep cyan blue would be a more special color to me so it would be more expensiver.
                      With the board house I use, solder mask costs the same regardless of color. The fact that the board is an ISA card has no bearing on its cost, other than the added expense of having the edge connector plated with hard gold.

Not to be flippant with anyone, but I do have extensive experience in managing small production runs of PC boards. It's part of what I do for a living. I'd like to think I'm decent at it!

At question 3: I presume that you going to sell a full kit then? So the buyer dont have to look after the right parts.
                      Yes, there will be a full kit, and I'll probably take the time to write an assembly manual, or at least do a writeup on my assembly of an example board.

Why are there interrupt settings on the board if the universal bios dont use them at all? And does this adapter then works faster without these interrupt settings? (faster transfer rate)
                      They exist because someone might want to use them in the future, and they're not hurting anything by being there but not being used. I see no reason to remove functionality and limit potential

Originally posted by T-R-A View Post
                      Personally I'd prefer any blue board over a green one since soldering issues are far easier to inspect on a blue board than a green one.
                      I also find the contrast to be better with blue boards, as long as they're not too dark. The board house I'm working with has a very nice deep cyan which really makes the traces stand out. Plus I like to think it differentiates my projects a little bit

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                      It just dawned on me, this won't work on dodgy systems like the AT&T PC 6300. If the "Chuck Mod" is permanent, then this board has no chance of working in those systems, does it?
                      This and BIOS compatibility is why I chose to leave the Chuck Mod as a jumperable option.

Comment

In case anyone is wondering, this is the deep cyan I'm using:

This is of course the prototype base board for the 20 mA current loop converter project.

Comment

Would it be possible to change the PCB so it's more conducive for use as a hard card? I'd be using this in a Compaq Portable and would prefer to mount the HDD in the expansion slot area, keeping both original floppies.

Perhaps the easiest way would be to have an option for hardcard buyers... make the PCB full length and add mounting holes in the long section?

-J
                          My Site (under construction!) | My Apple Lisa 2/10

Comment

Originally posted by compu_85 View Post
                            Would it be possible to change the PCB so it's more conducive for use as a hard card? I'd be using this in a Compaq Portable and would prefer to mount the HDD in the expansion slot area, keeping both original floppies.

Perhaps the easiest way would be to have an option for hardcard buyers... make the PCB full length and add mounting holes in the long section?
                            See this writeup: http://www.glitchwrks.com/2010/12/16/xtide

Adding a bunch of blank space for mounting a hard drive would add a lot of cost to the board. Using an industrial Flash module keeps the board compact, draws significantly less power (important for systems like the IBM 5150 PC with its original low wattage supply), and then you don't have to worry about a mechanical hard disk, especially in a portable machine. Personally I use an XT-IDE with industrial Flash module in my Leading Edge Model D, which lets me keep both floppy drives and not worry about overloading its supply.

I'll be selling various capacities of industrial Flash modules as an option for these, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                              Correct. You will have to use it as a rev 1 card (i.e. compatible mode). However, it is possible to add yet another transfer mode to the BIOS but it wouldn't be much faster than using the existing compatible mode. Also, this additional transfer mode would really only be needed if you absolutely must use a normal harddrive since, when using CF media, you should be able to use other types of controllers such as the XT-CF or even a regular 16-bit IDE controller. And of course, with memory mapped I/O controllers such as the ADP50 there is no problem at all regardless of drive type.
                              Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Final design, as submitted to the manufacturer:

Final design changes:

- Extra LED output using a spare inverter from the 74LS04
                                - Few component value tweaks
                                - Added layer for hard gold plating on edge connector

Should have prototype boards in hand in about a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X