Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Toshiba J-3100GT/T3100 Laptop - Hard Drive Solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOS can only use 640K (with a few minor exceptions) no matter how much memory your system has. Unless you can find another way to load that 200K driver elsewhere it's going to eat 200K of ram of the top of your 640K DOS ram. There are methods to get ~708K or so for DOS to use but is that even enough for your purpose?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Odd, I remember the Backpack Hard Drive having lower memory consumption than this. Maybe the documentation lists a way of cutting buffers in conventional memory or shoving some of it into EMS if the Toshiba can take an EMS card.

Comment

Sorry I didnt mention this in my last post, it was getting a bit long.

If you have the ISA connector, you could use an XT-IDE card. It may even be possible to use the original internal drive bay, by running the cable back into the laptop, YMMV with this.

Alternatively use one of the CF type cards with the XT-IDE cards if it will all fit inside the space. Alternatively, put the XT-IDE card in the machine and run the cable out to a standard IDE drive. I have not used the XT-IDE card myself but it is very well supported.

Another (period correct) solution would be an 8-bit ISA SCSI card + HDD, but these are difficult to find.

You will have a much more straightforward environment, in that there is no need to load a 200K driver to access the HDD. You could still put the external drive to use to ease file transfer, just don't load the 200k driver when you need to run programs.

Hope this helps.
        EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by krebizfan View Post
          Odd, I remember the Backpack Hard Drive having lower memory consumption than this. Maybe the documentation lists a way of cutting buffers in conventional memory or shoving some of it into EMS if the Toshiba can take an EMS card.
          Maybe, I'll take a look.

Originally posted by mR_Slug View Post
          Sorry I didnt mention this in my last post, it was getting a bit long.

If you have the ISA connector, you could use an XT-IDE card. It may even be possible to use the original internal drive bay, by running the cable back into the laptop, YMMV with this.

Alternatively use one of the CF type cards with the XT-IDE cards if it will all fit inside the space. Alternatively, put the XT-IDE card in the machine and run the cable out to a standard IDE drive. I have not used the XT-IDE card myself but it is very well supported.

Another (period correct) solution would be an 8-bit ISA SCSI card + HDD, but these are difficult to find.

You will have a much more straightforward environment, in that there is no need to load a 200K driver to access the HDD. You could still put the external drive to use to ease file transfer, just don't load the 200k driver when you need to run programs.

Hope this helps.
          Both of those sound like fantastic ideas, I'll see if I can find an affordable XT-IDE card or a compact flash solution. Thanks!

Comment

Hello everybody

I've found in an old box a Toshiba T3100/40 and I'm trying to restaurate it....but the HD is missing!
            I've read this post and got worried about custom plugs, but I've looked inside and I think/hope mine should be a standard IDE.... right?
            conn_ide.jpg
            That should mean that I could use a normal IDE HD found on ebay, but, another question....how can I know which is che maximum size? The smallest I'v found is 120b.... will it work?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hey there, that looks like standard IDE to me.

When you turn on the computer you should be able to access the setup page by hitting one of the function keys - it will probably be F1. On that screen, you will see an option that says something like "hard disk type". Navigate to that using the arrow keys and see what options you are able to select. That should tell you which hard drive sizes and parameters the BIOS supports, then you can try to find a model that matches that.

Completely unrelated to your question, but:

This Toshiba J3100 was one of my first vintage IBM PC compatible machines, and I've learned a hell of a lot about them since making this thread - thanks for bumping it! I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I did manage to get the MicroSolutions BackPack HD working without running out of RAM on the J3100 GT041, and eventually went one step further by repairing the original internal hard drive. I think I might have been using a DOS 3.30 image that was loaded with extra drivers and TSRs that took up too much memory, and I didn't know anything about config.sys and such back then.

When I got the machine I simply didn't have the skill or knowledge to even know where to start, let alone successfully repair, a hard drive. But when I moved back to Australia in early 2017, the Toshiba GT041 developed some vertical lines in the screen and I decided to finally crack it open and see what I could do. I replaced the 5 or so capacitors on the motherboard which got rid of the screen lines, re-capped and cleaned the floppy drive, and finally re-capped the hard drive. It was only about an hour of work and it booted up first try, with the original installation of Toshiba J-DOS 3.10 still functional! Scandisk revealed 0 bad sectors, I was over the moon. I also managed to pick up a TSR called Magic Run which allows you to run regular MS-DOS programs under Toshiba J-DOS, since they aren't directly compatible. I've made a disk image of it if anybody wants it.

It's been working ever since and continues to be my favourite 286 DOS gaming machine. If I didn't have to break out a 240V to 100V step-down transformer to use it I would fire it up a whole lot more often... maybe I should look into replacing the PSU with a modern 240V equivalent.
              Last edited by DeChief; April 9, 2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply
                I did what you suggested and the bios under "hard disk setting" gives me only 3 choices:
                - no drive
                - type 11 - cyl:615 h:4 sec:17 cap:20
                - type 12 - cyl:980 h:5 sec:17 cap:40
                does it means (I fear the answer....) that I need to find an HD with exactly that parameters?

Comment

Are there definitely no other options? I'm assuming you highlighted the "hard disk setting" line and tried to change the type with the arrow keys or page up/page down? Some BIOS allow you to set your own parameters, does it not let you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by DeChief View Post
                    Are there definitely no other options? I'm assuming you highlighted the "hard disk setting" line and tried to change the type with the arrow keys or page up/page down? Some BIOS allow you to set your own parameters, does it not let you do that?
                    I can confirm it is locked down to only support the two hard disk types that Toshiba sold the machines with. Same thing on later 3x00 machines too.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM View Post
                      I did what you suggested and the bios under "hard disk setting" gives me only 3 choices:
                      - no drive
                      - type 11 - cyl:615 h:4 sec:17 cap:20
                      - type 12 - cyl:980 h:5 sec:17 cap:40
                      does it means (I fear the answer....) that I need to find an HD with exactly that parameters?
                      Within reason, a drive with the same or larger cylinder count, and, the same or larger head count could work. (At reduced capacity.)
                      Examples:
                      Drive of [cyl:1000 h:5] - With computer set to [cyl:980 h:5], only 980 of the drive's 1000 cylinders will get used.
                      Drive of [cyl:980 h:6] - With computer set to [cyl:980 h:5], only 5 of the drive's 6 heads will get used.
                      Drive of [cyl:1000 h:6] - With computer set to [cyl:980 h:5], only 980 of the drive's 1000 cylinders will get used, and only 5 of the drive's 6 heads will get used.

However, sometimes there can be other restrictions. For example, the BIOS in the T5200 is required to have a drive where the model number reported from the drive starts with 'CP' (see [here]).

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
                        Within reason, a drive with the same or larger cylinder count, and, the same or larger head count could work. (At reduced capacity.)
                        Examples:
                        Drive of [cyl:1000 h:5] - With computer set to [cyl:980 h:5], only 980 of the drive's 1000 cylinders will get used.
                        Drive of [cyl:980 h:6] - With computer set to [cyl:980 h:5], only 5 of the drive's 6 heads will get used.
                        Drive of [cyl:1000 h:6] - With computer set to [cyl:980 h:5], only 980 of the drive's 1000 cylinders will get used, and only 5 of the drive's 6 heads will get used.

However, sometimes there can be other restrictions. For example, the BIOS in the T5200 is required to have a drive where the model number reported from the drive starts with 'CP' (see [here]).
                        I was going to suggest that but wasn't sure if the T3100 had restrictions like you mentioned for the T5200.

Alex: if you can find a drive cheap enough, maybe it's worth a try.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the support.
                          I've found on ebay some HD with exactly same parameters not so expensive: https://www.ebay.it/itm/293544619166...m=293544619166

Comment

Originally posted by onre View Post
                            I can confirm it is locked down to only support the two hard disk types that Toshiba sold the machines with. Same thing on later 3x00 machines too.
                            Correct. Three ways around it: use a larger compatible drive (you'll still only have the same capacity), patch the drive table in the BIOS ROM, or use a drive overlay.

I hope that drive on eBay works for you. I could be totally wrong but I seem to recall that the 3100/40 did not use a standard PATA IDE drive, although it used the same connector (the 3100e definitely did use a standard drive); maybe see whether you can return it if it doesn't work.

There is an old thread on here somewhere about increasing the memory but again, I'm not sure whether it works on a non-'e' version.

Comment

I've just realized that there's something strange in the notebook connector.... standard ide connector has the "notch" and the missing pin on the opposite side.... on the toshiba cable they're on the same side!!

Comment

Hi guys

this is the connector:
                                toshiba_conn.jpg
                                does anybody knows what is it?

Thankyou very much

Comment

Working...
                                X