• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5162 XT-286 memory

mkemp

Experienced Member
After succesfully getting an 896k 5160 XT working I cast an eye at my XT-286. "How cool would it be to replace the 256k SIMMs with 1m or 4m," I thought.

It turrns out that the 256k SIMMs aren't JDEC standard and the machine won't start with anything else. "What would be involved in gimmicking together an adapter," I thought.

After some grovelling over the circuit diagram in the Tech Ref I found that the SIMM sockets only have addressing lines for 256k. So, another Bright Idea collapses wnen encountering Reality.

Darn.

Yea, seems like they used SIMMs merely to save space on the board. The IBM XT-286 did not use a chipset. At the time I think one of the first PC chipsets was NEAT by C&T, and it was commonly used on boards of similar size (later called "Baby AT").

Are you certain that all memory placed on the ISA bus is going to be 1 ws? Isn't there a pin on the ISA bus for 0WS? I think I own an expansion card that claims support for it.

Are you certain that all memory placed on the ISA bus is going to be 1 ws? Isn't there a pin on the ISA bus for 0WS? I think I own an expansion card that claims support for it.
The following is taken from Upgrading and Repairing PCs linked on Modem7's MinusZeroDegrees. Of course, this info could be inaccurate. I wonder what the Tech Reff say's.

Capture.JPG

I wonder if three chip 256K SIMMs (based on 1 megabit chips) work.

Update: A 74LS590 is only a 8-bit counter, but it looks like they used a 74ALS74 and the RCO output of the 74LS590 to extend the refresh counter to 9-bit.

Last edited:
Actually, looking at the schematics, there is a connection to the A9 pin in the SIMM socket. I wonder what this is used for.

Actually, looking at the schematics, there is a connection to the A9 pin in the SIMM socket. I wonder what this is used for.

That problably depends on the content of U90 on page 5. This small PROM decides the mapping of the various memory-mapped devices on the motherboard.

Technically it might just be possible to use 1MB SIMM modules if you replace U90 with a custom version, much like the 5160 HIMEM PROM mod.

Back