Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Any recommendations for a good DOS file manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Necromancer's DOS Navigator is the best.
    Try it and tell me what you think.

Comment

I also liked SD = StupenDOS by Eclipse Tech.

Is only 64 KB in size, Well, version 2.x was. V5 was 180+KB
      Runs on any PC with DOS. I ran it on a Tandy 1000 EX with 256 KB RAM.
      Can be configured to add GIF-viewer.
      Works both in color and mono-mode.

Downloading it nowadays is a pain. Found it at http://annex.retroarchive.org/cdrom/...38A/index.html

(sorry for necroposting)

Comment

There are lots of them floating around and everyone has a favorite, including me. I've been using QDOS since the late 80's - early 90's and it's my DOS file manager of choice. https://winworldpc.com/product/gazelle-q-dos/3x
        Some will swear by XTree or XTree Gold but it's a matter of preference. Keep checking this thread as you are bound to receive a boat load of tips for this or that one.
        Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned PCBoss, IMHO it was just easy to learn and use.

framer

Comment

Certainly not the best, but everyone at work used F31. Can't find it these days.

Ha, just found it https://archive.org/details/msdos_shareware_fb_F31.ARC
            Last edited by Gary C; May 23, 2021, 05:13 AM.
            Current fleet
            TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx

Comment

You can still download IBM FileCommand - https://winworldpc.com/product/filecommand/100 Still the fastest, least restrictive file manager around nearly 40 years later.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by bjt View Post
                Volkov Commander is a super fast, memory efficient & free Norton clone. Mostly ASM I think.
                Why not using the original, if promoting the side by side mode?

Norton Commander

NC newer versions even supports serial and parallel port (laplink cable) support for file fiewing and transfer between two computers.NC is mostly my favorite, specially when typing mode co80,50 before starting it. If you need even more screen space, try DCC on VGA machines (but it does not support link to other PCs).
                <album>

Comment

I used Xtree or Xtree Gold in Dos because it had a command PRUNE in which you could delete the whole directory including the nestled directories within it as well as all the hidden files within them.Other file managers I had use prior would refused to to delete a directory if there was any content in it.
                  Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

Originally posted by Caluser2000 View Post
                    I used Xtree or Xtree Gold in Dos because it had a command PRUNE in which you could delete the whole directory including the nestled directories within it as well as all the hidden files within them.Other file managers I had use prior would refused to to delete a directory if there was any content in it.
                    For the record so does QDOS.

Comment

Can someone explain the appeal of a dos file manager to me? Is the dos command line really that hard to use?
                      Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Exceter View Post
                        Can someone explain the appeal of a dos file manager to me? Is the dos command line really that hard to use?
                        For me it's the difference between a stick shift and an automatic.

Comment

How many of the above understand DOS 7+ long file names?

CLI is the basic interface to many operating systems (Unix/Linux) DOS, OS/2, even Windows NT and 9x. It's pretty much all I've ever used when developing code.

Comment

The two I used most back in the day were QDOS II (already mentioned), and PathMinder.

Comment

How many of the above understand DOS 7+ long file names?
                              Doesn't tab completion allow you to navigate around on the command line quickly even if the filenames are long?

EDIT: https://www.computerhope.com/tips/tip176.htm
                              Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

Under DOS 7+ or FeeDOS, I get a list of the 8.3 "mangled" names.
                                That is, instead of "Development" I get "DEVEL~YX"; if I type "cd Development", of course that works.

Debian Linux gives you a list of names after the second tab press--it's just as easy to use wildcards there. Of course, wildcards don't work the same in DOS--I can't say "cd Dev*" and expect anything but an error.

Comment

Working...
                                X