• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any recommendations for a good DOS file manager?

dreniarb

Back in the day I used Directory Magic. Loved the program. I've tried using it again on my recently acquired IBM 5150 but I've come to find that it will not move directories (at least not that I can see).

I found Directory Freedom here but it also appears to be unable to handle directories.

http://bitmasons.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/bitmason/dflyer.html

Does anyone know of a file manager that can move or copy directories?

IMO XTGold is the best, but I don't know if it runs over a 5150... I think it depends on the RAM you have. Maybe some early release.
It moves directories of course and has some great functionalities, including an hex editor.

Take a look at vetusware.com, they should have an old copy. If not, mail me your email address in PM and I will send it to you.

Quick DOS II (QDII) if you are using a 8088 or Quick DOS III (QDIII) if you're on a 8086 or better. Similar to XTree, which users swear by, but I find it easier to use with virtually no learning curve. I've been using QD since about 1987 or so.

Volkov Commander is a super fast, memory efficient & free Norton clone. Mostly ASM I think.

Norton Commander, later Volkov Commander was a standard back in the day in central Europe. I have seen many CRT screens with burnt out two panel picture, caused by hours of inactivity with Norton showing.

Norton Commander, later Volkov Commander was a standard back in the day in central Europe. I have seen many CRT screens with burnt out two panel picture, caused by hours of inactivity with Norton showing.

That would explain why Volkov had a screensaver going when I came back to it later in the day. :)

So cool.

Well shoot... I ran Volkov in Dosbox first just to check it out. I assumed it would run fine on the actual computer but unfortunately it locks up after loading. The menu options at the bottom stay blank and the program doesn't respond to any keys. Had to power cycle to get back to a prompt. Even tried it with the math co-processor board switched to 286. I really liked Volkov.. I will try one of these other suggestions tomorrow.

I promise i did do a search for "dos file manager". I must have overlooked that thread. :)

Hahah, I'm not one of those "Did you search?!?!?!" forum police people. I figured it might help you and I had only personally stumbled on it myself as I was looking for a good link for downloading PC Valet. :D

I cannot get by without IBM FileCommand - it was an IBM VM/CMS Fulist/Filelst clone able to run DOS commands against any file or directory right next to each file or folder, and easily traverse nested directories ans such.

112023.e42ee4919f751df48a8c112ea676da33.a333e1ce8c346f5b5a4f859fccb7a17e.1600.jpg

Regards,
Mike

I think Necromancer's DOS Navigator is the best.
Try it and tell me what you think.

There are lots of them floating around and everyone has a favorite, including me. I've been using QDOS since the late 80's - early 90's and it's my DOS file manager of choice. https://winworldpc.com/product/gazelle-q-dos/3x
Some will swear by XTree or XTree Gold but it's a matter of preference. Keep checking this thread as you are bound to receive a boat load of tips for this or that one.

Back