Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

St-412 + 5150bx4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St-412 + 5150bx4

I've acquired an for parts PC and have extracted the 130W PSU, the ST-412 and 5150BX4 hard drive controller from it. I placed them in another working PC. The BIOS chip on the hard drive controller is KIM11. I cannot figure out the SW1 configuration for this drive. Any ideas? SSTOR thinks it's an 18MB drive at the moment.

Should I provide a picture of the hard drive controller card and/or any other configuration I might have?

I will provide whatever information that's necessary.

thanks!

Originally posted by CaffeinePizza View Post
    ... and 5150BX4 hard drive controller from it.
    That will be a DTC 5150BX.
    The DTC 5150BX is intended for XT-class computers.

I placed them in another working PC.
    It that an XT class computer, or an AT one ?

I cannot figure out the SW1 configuration for this drive.
    My ST-412 does not have a SW1. Where is the SW1 that you write of ?

SSTOR thinks it's an 18MB drive at the moment.
    Note that old drives like the ST-412 cannot be interrogated for make/model/size information.
    So, if your 5150BX card is in an XT-class computer, 18 MB would be what the 5150BX has been configured for.

Comment

It is an IBM PC 5150, both the computer the parts came from and the one they went into.
      The SW1 isn't on the st-412 itself; I meant the controller. I'll provide pictures soon.
      I was able to make the controller set to 306 cylinders and 4 heads and 10 MB. However SpeedStor test showed every sector as defective, so I stopped that test. I LLF the drive with C800:5 before doing the test. Fdisk fails to load. Either the controller doesn't work in the PC or the drive is toasted...

I'll get pictures as soon as I can. Thanks for the reply! I've read quite a bit on minuszerodegrees! Very useful source of information.

Comment

The SW1 isn't on the st-412 itself; I meant the controller. I'll provide pictures soon.
        I used to have a 5150BX, but I cannot find it now. But I did find a photo of one online.
        The "KIM11" ROM is not the BIOS ROM. That ROM will contain the code for the card's CPU.
        The other ROM, labelled with something that starts with "BXD" is the BIOS ROM. Version BXD06 appears to be common for the 5150BX.

I was able to make the controller set to 306 cylinders and 4 heads and 10 MB. However SpeedStor test showed every sector as defective, so I stopped that test. I LLF the drive with C800:5 before doing the test. Fdisk fails to load. Either the controller doesn't work in the PC or the drive is toasted...
        * The ST-412 has a stepper flag (A.K.A. arm, damper, ...) as shown at [here]. That arm should slowly move from one extreme to the other during the LLF.
        * ST-412 terminator and drive-select shown at [here].
        * Because, the shunt block on the ST-412's selects the first drive-select position, cable per [here].

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
          I used to have a 5150BX, but I cannot find it now. But I did find a photo of one online.
          The "KIM11" ROM is not the BIOS ROM. That ROM will contain the code for the card's CPU.
          The other ROM, labelled with something that starts with "BXD" is the BIOS ROM. Version BXD06 appears to be common for the 5150BX.

* The ST-412 has a stepper flag (A.K.A. arm, damper, ...) as shown at [here]. That arm should slowly move from one extreme to the other during the LLF.
          * ST-412 terminator and drive-select shown at [here].
          * Because, the shunt block on the ST-412's selects the first drive-select position, cable per [here].
          No wonder I couldn't find any information on the "KIM11" BIOS! Haha!
          I will get back to you on the rest. Today (13th) is my birthday, so I've been away. Thanks again.

Comment

Picture of controller. Unless I'm blind, I couldn't find anything with BXD on it.
            http://i.imgur.com/pwuKn0V.jpg

Comment

Today (13th) is my birthday, so I've been away.
              Happy birthday.

Picture of controller. Unless I'm blind, I couldn't find anything with BXD on it.
              http://i.imgur.com/pwuKn0V.jpg
              At the far right of your card is a large chip with a round window in it. That will be the BIOS ROM. The sticker has come off the ROM. Over a long period of time, light going through that window will start erasing the ROM. You should cover that window.

The 5150BX that I was referring to earlier is pictured at [here]. At the bottom-left of the card, the "2" following the "5150BX" is possibly a revision number. Your card has "4" and so is possibly the fourth revision.

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
                Happy birthday.

At the far right of your card is a large chip with a round window in it. That will be the BIOS ROM. The sticker has come off the ROM. Over a long period of time, light going through that window will start erasing the ROM. You should cover that window.

The 5150BX that I was referring to earlier is pictured at [here]. At the bottom-left of the card, the "2" following the "5150BX" is possibly a revision number. Your card has "4" and so is possibly the fourth revision.
                I never knew that. I'll put some black electrical tape or something over it to block the light. Thanks

When I LLF with C800:5, the stepper slowly goes from the light sensor all the way to the other side, then just comes back around to the other side faster. It only does this once and the computer says the format is complete.
                I reboot the system and try to open FDISK and it says there's an error reading the hard drive then drops back to the DOS prompt. Like before, doing a surface test in SpeedStor shows all of the cylinder numbers as bad in the defect table. When it does the surface scan, the stepper motor rattles back and forth, slowly increasing its arclength, and showing a defect for every head on every cylinder.
                I tried using another MFM data cable I had, but it's the same problem. Is it a possibility the drive or controller is just toast? I have a WD hard drive controller (16-bit ISA) that came out of an old Tandy that *may* work, but I'd have to go find it and get the model number from it.
                Last edited by CaffeinePizza; January 15, 2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

When I LLF with C800:5, the stepper slowly goes from the light sensor all the way to the other side, then just comes back around to the other side faster. It only does this once and the computer says the format is complete.
                  The described stepper movement is a good sign. Keep in mind that the LLF code built into primitive hard disk controllers is quite crude, often with no verification. Many times, I have experimented with different controllers by removing the data cable (i.e. no possible way formatting could be occurring, or read back occurring) and seen the LLF complete without error.

Note too that you can often run SpeedStor's seek test without the data cable in place.

Is it a possibility the drive or controller is just toast?
                  Yes. Imagine the controller's read circuit being faulty (as an example). Or the drive's read circuitry being faulty. If the LLF code is not doing any verification, you will not know about the fault at LLF time.
                  Later, you run something like FDISK, something that results in an attempted read, and only then do you discover a problem.

Comment

Hi,

The Olivetti M24 has an internal HDU and presumably HDD ROM on it.

So to use the DTC 5150BX4 in a Olivetti motherboard with a real old hard drive you need to set:

Motherboard DIPSW1/3 ON if you are missing the BIOS chip on your controller, but if you have the BIOS chip then you might need to to set it to "OFF" so that the ROM can be loaded from it

If you wan to use XT-IDE card I think you need to set DIPSW1/3 to "OFF" on the Olivetti motherboard and completely remove the DTC 5150BX4 to avoid any conflicts. Also some XT-IDE cards revisions require "Compatibility mode" instead of "Hi-Speed" mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X