• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

pcsg breakout 286 questions

br44

Experienced Member
Hello

I would like to start off by saying that I am a new member to these forums and to vintage computing in general. I have referenced this forum before but have created an account now that I actually have some hardware and some questions.

So here goes....

I picked up a rather odd IBM PC 5150 recently. It used to belong to an engineer and he got tired of it taking up space so he simply gave it to me. I had posted a wanted sign in the post office and he gave me a call! I had wanted an IBM pc of really any kind since having one as a very young child. Boy what I would give to go back in time and keep my folks from donating that one :(.

well anyways I will be creating several topics on things I cannot find in the search feature.

This topic is about one of the expansions this particular computer came with. It has a speedup board called PCSG breakout 286. I am trying to find documentation on this thing but I am not having much luck. I found some archived pc magazine advertisements for it but I would like some hard documentation... like an owners manual.

The computer also came with a half hight HDD (miniscribe 3650), Western Digital 60-000156-02 controller, and a single 5.25'' floppy drive. It has the color graphics card and a IBM 5153 monitor. Also came with the keyboard. No software disks but the HDD has a few things on it including some games. It also came with a ram expansion board of some kind called "ast six pak plus"

Any links to documentation would be awesome.

Last edited:
Hello. Welcome to these forums.

Any links to documentation would be awesome.
There is lots of IBM 5150 information at minuszerodegrees.net
IBM 5153 information is there too.

Information on AST's SixPakPlus card (multiple versions) is there too, in the 'Third Party' link within the Manuals area.

You did not mention the make/model of the HDD controller card, but a manual for that may be in the 'Third Party' link as well.

my mistake I forgot that one.

I have edited my OP with the controller card info.

THANKS for the links! I would have never found that on my own!

I extracted the pcb inside the 8087 plug of the breakthru 286. It just pulls pin 23,24,25 and 32 down.

Breakthru_8087.jpg

-Jonas

I also have the Breakthru 286 card but I cannot seem to get it working. Sometimes it just shows a blinking cursor and maybe some random characters on the screen and other times nothing will show up on the screen and there is a whine coming from the computer. Its not the CRT as its distinguishably lower pitch. Any troubleshooting tips?

Back