Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

5150 - keyboard issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5150 - keyboard issues

Recently got a 5150 from Craigslist for a good price. -VIDEO-

Long story short, I decided to work on the keyboard first. No point in anything else unless you can type. I was hoping to just re-attach the space bar and it would work fine afterwards. Sadly that did not correct the issue. The system is acting as if there is a key being held down constantly. I had to completely tear down the keyboard to properly reconnect the space bar. Which went fine. The foam inside is acceptable in condition. The problem remains.

I felt I would pick the brains of the people here before I sank money into something that might not work.

1 - keyboard acts like a key is stuck down. The system will boot into dos/basic and constantly beep until it crashes.
    2 - Using just the PCB, the errors remain.
    3 - I currently do not have another keyboard compatible with the 5150.
    4 - There are no visible issues with the electronics.

This would explain why the previous owner scrawled BAD over the top of the keyboard. (which I removed) I don't want to lead the witness here, but after some internet searching I've come to the conclusion there is an issue with the electronics.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Side note: I'm going to work on building a XT-PS2 adapter just to get things working. (8051 based - its what I have)
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Since not all keyboards are created equal it would really help if you told us whether this is a true IBM Model F (buckling spring, OEM) or some other type.

Sorry, but I'm NOT going to watch a one hour video to 'maybe' find the answer.

If you want a Model F for a PC (5150) I have an extra.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

It is a true 88 key IBM. And there are links in the video description to "fast forward" to relevant parts.

My main goal is to fix the one I have. If that provides unfruitful, then I will happily take you up on your offer. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
        It is a true 88 key IBM.
        Does that mean it's a Model M Mini?
        PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Whatever you want to call this:

Comment

Recently got a 5150 from Craigslist for a good price.
            As you have discovered:

* The power-on self test of the 5150 does not display progress of the RAM test.
            * You have to be patient with these things - some timeouts (such as for the 1701 error) can be quite long.

The system is acting as if there is a key being held down constantly.
            Looking at the video, you saw a "301" error when the keyboard was disconnected from the motherboard, and no 301 when it was connected. So, per [here], that means that the keyboard responded to the interrogation by the 5150's POST.
            But you did not see a byte preceding the 301 (e.g. "22 301"), so as far as the keyboard is concerned, there is no stuck key.

The following is an example of what is observed for stuck key/s:

On my 5150, if I continuously hold down the G key whist I power up the 5150, I observe:

* cursor appears 5 seconds after power-on; then
            * 15 seconds later, a "22 301" error is displayed per [
            here]; then
            * a beeping from the speaker; then
            * when BASIC eventually starts, the beeping stops, and under BASIC's 'ok' prompt, I see lower case G's continually being displayed one after the other.

If I then repeat the operation, but this time holding down both the R and T keys, I observe:

* cursor appears 5 seconds after power-on; then
            * 15 seconds later, a "13 301" error is displayed per [
            here]; then
            * a beeping from the speaker; then
            * when BASIC eventually starts, the beeping stops, and under BASIC's 'ok' prompt, I see one lower case R followed by lower case T's continually being displayed one after the other.

Any advice on how to proceed?
            Proceed to obtain a functional PC_XT-class keyboard so that you can prove that the supplied keyboard is faulty.

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see what you observed if you simulated a stuck key by holding a key down.

Comment

Whatever you want to call this:
              It has a NAME... what I want to call it means absolutely nothing!!!

FWIW, it is NOT an 88 key keyboard. Where did you get that from? Geez... it doesn't have 88 keys.

Comment

83. Excuse me for not having counted.

@modem7

Ill put the keyboad back together tonight after work and update.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                  Where did you get that from?
                  craigslist. Didn't you watch the video?
                  Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                    craigslist. Didn't you watch the video?
                    Hehehehe... Man, I guess I got doubly lucky. One looooong hour filled with mis-information.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                      Hehehehe... Man, I guess I got doubly lucky. One looooong hour filled with mis-information.
                      Again I need to apologize for not being born with the innate knowledge of every system out there. I guess I should just be happy you were magnanimous enough to grace us plebs with your divine presence. Should you continue to mingle with the rabble, I would be open to LEARNING what misinformation I presented.

Comment

Stone assumes everyone who posts is very familiar with the system they are asking help for; please don't let his attitude spoil your fun.

modem7 has given excellent advice, and I concur that the keyboard is likely at fault, but you need another keyboard to verify that. Assuming you are still talking to Stone, I would purchase his known good working keyboard he is offering, or one from somewhere else, so that you can proceed through process of elimination.

The fact that your system boots to ROM BASIC is an excellent sign that the overall system unit is in good health. If you paid $100 or less for your haul, you did good.
                        Offering a bounty for:
                        - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                        - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

As a retired internet troll, I'm honestly not bothered in the slightest. ^.^

I'm on a fixed income, and I blew February's budget on this machine. I did get it for $100 though. I'm quite happy, as I was also able to confirm my 5153 monitor to be working.

As for the keyboard. It is no longer responsive at all. I don't get a keyboard error either. Holding a key down does nothing. I'll probably sell it for parts on ebay to pay for a new one. Shame, as it's in good condition as I took the time to wash it down properly. If I was a betting man, I would guess there was a problem with the metal can chip on the board. According to a schematic, it's doing the sensing of the key presses. I did pull out my multimeter, and all chips are getting 5v. I don't own a scope to troubleshoot further.

I saw in my internet searches, someone made a converter for ps/2 to 5150 using a 8051 chip. I happen to have the parts so in the next few days I might give that a try.

Comment

I've had with a few other Model F's - where either a key "foot" isn't sitting right or the PCB itself has something partially conductive on it (by PCB, I mean the area where each key touches the PCB). I've had this cause stuck keys, DOS crashes etc before - but running with the keys removed (just using my finger on the PCB) it'd work correctly.

Good luck with the 8051!
                            Twitter / YouTube

Comment

I would hold off selling that keyboard until you build your adaptor. If the adaptor doesn't work, your keyboard isn't necessarily dead.
                              Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

Working...
                              X