• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brand New 5150 on ebay

Something seems fishy with it. The 160K drives were indicative of really early 5150s, however for machines that early I wouldn't expect a 'B' stamp or chrome card brackets...or a 256K MB.

Something seems fishy with it. The 160K drives were indicative of really early 5150s, however for machines that early I wouldn't expect a 'B' stamp or chrome card brackets...or a 256K MB.

I don't find that odd at all. When I went to buy one in 1994, the guy selling it had dozens of them. Every one was fully disassembled. When he was ready to sell one, he'd just piece together all the best parts. I never owned a PC/XT/AT that I didn't immediately and continuously swap a bunch of parts.

It seems from my limited experience there are lot of variations in the 5150's so I wouldn't be to quick to put it down as being fishy. My 5150 for example has early model indications with black wider I/O brackets, no "B" stamp and a 16KB-64KB motherboard. However the BIOS on the motherboard is second revision, the PSU is silver, it has a plastic speaker holder and 2x 360k floppies. A bit of a "in between" system of sorts.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/early/5150_early.htm

Both listings say 'ended' in the yellow ticker, but the diagonal writing on the picture says 'Sold' on the .com site and 'Ended' on the co.uk site

Well, how did the computers even come in the box from IBM? Was it just the system unit only in the box and then the dealer installed the option cards and disk drives per customer specifications?

That's completely odd as I bought the item from the first auction. Those are the exact same photos in both listings. So now, I am wondering what is in the box on the way to my house?

I've asked the seller that.... we'll see what's up.

EDIT: Nevermind... those are different photos and serial numbers. I guess there were at least two units.

Back