Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

8088 PC: Cool things to demonstrate the early PC XT experience and capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8088 PC: Cool things to demonstrate the early PC XT experience and capabilities

I'm tired of googling and sifting- Time to ask the experts!
    What were your favorites?
    Seeking applications, tools, utilities, demo programs, source code.
    Must run on a stock 8088 with no better than Monochrome with Hercules and CGA emulation.
    (Though for a later effort, I will go to color based video)

Such as:
    • Early examples of forward looking things: ie: early hobby simulation, cad, animation, screen savers
      etc that pointed to things to come.
    • Source code examples for QuickBasic, Assembler, Pascal, and C.
    • Program development suggestions for writing Demos. I'm inclined to do some things
      in QuickBasic for the retro feel and use some libraries for jazz. So far I like QBSCR
      but open to suggestions on libraries and other languages.
    • Suggestions for what was a really nice bootup menu system?
      So far now I've done my own batch system. But there's probably a better way.
    • Period demos that wowed us back in the day.
    • Modern demos that point back.. such as 8088 Corruption, Domination, XDC.

Things I have so far:

- 8088 Assembler Matrix screen demo posted on this forum, thanks!
    - XTree Gold
    - Checkit
    - Norton Commander
    - Mummies, a classic character based game
    - PC-RR rail road simulator
    - visual basic examples

Thanks very much in advance!
    http://abitoutofplace.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by dmemphis View Post
    Suggestions for what was a really nice bootup menu system?
    • So far now I've done my own batch system. But there's probably a better way.
    I tend to like batch menus. Simple, configurable and no resources to hog which is great for systems with limited memory.

Direct Access is very nice, too, and it also exits from memory while you're running an application so it's no hog.

I've got a boxed copy of Direct Access v5.0 if there's any interest.

It only requires 256K and a PC to run.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

For historical accuracy......

KILLER APPS
      Lotus 1-2-3
      WordPerfect
      WordStar
      TurboCad (not sure what version I have but it's aimed at CGA XTs)
      Harvard Graphics 3.0 on down

SCREENSAVERS
      Dazzle
      Inner Mission

WINDOW MANAGERS/GUIS/FILE MANAGERS
      OpenDesktop GEM
      Windows 1.x, 2.x, and 3.0
      XTREE (Especially XTREE Gold)
      DOS Shell (DOSSHELL.EXE from DOS 4 up)
      Deskmate

GAMES
      Microsoft Adventure
      Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0
      Beyond Zork (or anything in the Zork Series for that matter)
      Early Ultima (Ultima I, II, III, and IV, maybe V)
      Maniac Mansion
      King's Quest (or pretty much any/all old AGI Sierra titles if you have EGA or TGA/PC Jr. capable CGA)
      Lots of old BASIC games like Maxit or Depth Charge and so on

Just to name a few....

Comment

Another one I'll throw in is OrCAD.
        I found it on one of my XT's when it arrived, it let you do electronics work. From memory mine had the libraries for 74 series ICs etc too, I played around making a schematic.

Another interesting program install I found, but isn't really realistic for when the machine was new, was an install of AmiWord. Imagine MS Word for Windows, before Windows was popular, so it included a bare bones version of Windows 2.x on the install disks! Was very slow though, wouldn't recommend to a friend, but whoever installed it REALLY wanted WYSIWYG/Windows etc etc on their machine.

Also pfs: First Choice is a good all in one package, and pfs: First Publisher is also good for WYSIWYG layout. Both products were lower cost titles - but what I remember using more of. They ran fine on XT's, were functional, and didn't cost thousands.

Plus every system should have PrintMaster, how else will you print those dot matrix Happy Birthday ribbons?
        Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by SpidersWeb View Post
          Plus every system should have PrintMaster, how else will you print those dot matrix Happy Birthday ribbons?
          Funny you should mention that... I used Broderbund's Banner Mania back in the day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banner_Mania
          http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-ke...o-programming/

Comment

If you have access to set up a printer, I would totally recommend you demonstrate a copy of print master plus v2.0 or a similar version. Make a birthday card, or something simple like that. That was probably one of the more useful programs back in the early days of home computers.

Show an early version of word perfect (5.0 or 6.0). Show them something prior to WYSIWYG. Give examples of how you bold text, italics, etc.

I would also show them a sierra game of some kind (mixed up mother goose, etc). Also you can see about getting an old version of Tetris (which most kids even today would recognize). Wheel of fortune or hang man would be great too.

-------

Programming - quick basic would be the way to go. We used to like looking at the code for Gorilla.bas and modifying it. If you are using windows, you could probably find an early version of Visual basic and make some kind of 'Hello World' application with a button to click, and a label.

Comment

And if you install Word Perfect, use 5.1 and make sure to enable the menus.
              Without it, you'll be mashing the keyboard just trying to work out how to quit.

It's a very capable word processor and can do some decent formatting/layout work, but a very different experience to "ribbons" and wizards.
              Twitter / YouTube

Comment

For a menu system, I recommend Brown Bag Software's Power Menu. It also has a very nice file manager built int.

How early are you really trying to demonstrate? I recently acquired some disks that apparently had been used with an early PC ~1982. They had crufty copies of PC-DOS 1.0, lots of crufty basic programs, IBM Personal Editor, EasyWriter, IBM Pascal Compiler, and a few other IBM tools.

During the first few years of the PC there was a lot of BASIC and command-line/terminal oriented stuff, often ported from CP/M. But by the mid 80s there was more full-screen, PC-specific stuff, and lower cost compilers like Turbo Pascal began to catch on. Then around 1990 things really started to go GUI.

Along the lines of current "demos", if you are using CGA you might want to check out the composite-artifacting CGA mod of Commander Keen 4 (16 colors on CGA!). That requires a hard drive, but I got regular CGA keen 4 to run from dual 360k floppies.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                  For a menu system, I recommend Brown Bag Software's Power Menu. It also has a very nice file manager built int.
                  Thanks!
                  How early are you really trying to demonstrate? I recently acquired some disks that apparently had been used with an early PC ~1982. They had crufty copies of PC-DOS 1.0, lots of crufty basic programs, IBM Personal Editor, EasyWriter, IBM Pascal Compiler, and a few other IBM tools.
                  For this purpose I'm not after the earliest stuff, more like the early stuff that made new waves
                  in the PC experience that was best shown earliest on the 5150.
                  Some of those are good examples. I would in general though be interested in seeing most of these even
                  if I don't use them for this purpose.
                  During the first few years of the PC there was a lot of BASIC and command-line/terminal oriented stuff, often ported from CP/M. But by the mid 80s there was more full-screen, PC-specific stuff, and lower cost compilers like Turbo Pascal began to catch on. Then around 1990 things really started to go GUI.
                  Probably not the CP/M ish stuff. You reminded me of those early word processor wars. One I have yet to see
                  is the one Captain Crunches wrote.
                  Full screen, pre-gui, Text/mouse UI, maybe- cause that hinted at GUI stuff to come.
                  Along the lines of current "demos", if you are using CGA you might want to check out the composite-artifacting CGA mod of Commander Keen 4 (16 colors on CGA!). That requires a hard drive, but I got regular CGA keen 4 to run from dual 360k floppies.
                  That's a good one for when I go really use coor rather than cga on monochrome..

THANKS for those suggestions.
                  http://abitoutofplace.wordpress.com/

Comment

GAMES:

Alley Cat *End thread*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game)

Released on the PC in 1984 by IBM no less, gorgeous CGA Graphics. Was probably one of the very first games I played on my XT along with Sopwith I might add.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(video_game)
                    AtariPC.net
                    Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Comment

hello
                      Also the first "Civilization" game would run (with EGA) on ibm pc, a good one i think.
                      For some reason i also liked "SideKick", and the ability to rapidly do another ting on your pc then the main application you were running at the moment
                      /cimonvg

Comment

I'm a fan of MTCP as well. Perhaps it's not period, but it shows something useful the system can still do today (IRC client, etc)
                        My Site (under construction!) | My Apple Lisa 2/10

Comment

I loved Ventura Publisher back in the day. It ran fine on a XT.

Later,
                          dabone

Comment

My Favs:

Word Processing: Mansfield KEDIT
                            Word Processing: MS Word for DOS 4.0
                            Word Processing: WordPerfect 5.1
                            File Manager: IBM File Command
                            Utility: IBM Fixed Disk Organizer
                            Utility: System Utility: SysInfo7
                            Desktop: Quarterdeck DeskView 2.0
                            Database: Ashton-Tate dBase III Plus
                            Graphic: Harvard Graphics 2.0
                            Spreadsheet: Lotus 123 2.4
                            Spreadsheet: VisiCalc
                            Accounting: QuickBooks Version 1.0
                            Accounting: One Write Plus Money Matters
                            Communications (Dial-up): QMODEM
                            Communications (Dial-up): ProComm+
                            Programming: Turbo Pascal 6.0 for DOS
                            Productivity: Point of Sale Cash Register
                            Productivity: Policies Now
                            Productivity: Family Tree Maker
                            Game: Jeopardy
                            Game: Cyborgirl Pinball
                            Accouting: Quicken QuickBooks
                            Programming: Turbo Pascal
                            Programming: Turbo Assembler
                            Game: Space Invaders
                            Game: Space Invaders 78
                            Game: Monopoly
                            Game: PacMan
                            Music: Voyetra Sequencer Plus Pro MIDI

Comment

Originally posted by nc_mike View Post
                              My Favs:

Word Processing: Mansfield KEDIT
                              Word Processing: MS Word for DOS 4.0
                              Word Processing: WordPerfect 5.1
                              File Manager: IBM File Command
                              Utility: IBM Fixed Disk Organizer
                              Utility: System Utility: SysInfo7
                              Desktop: Quarterdeck DeskView 2.0
                              Database: Ashton-Tate dBase III Plus
                              Graphic: Harvard Graphics 2.0
                              Spreadsheet: Lotus 123 2.4
                              Spreadsheet: VisiCalc
                              Accounting: QuickBooks Version 1.0
                              Accounting: One Write Plus Money Matters
                              Communications (Dial-up): QMODEM
                              Communications (Dial-up): ProComm+
                              Programming: Turbo Pascal 6.0 for DOS
                              Productivity: Point of Sale Cash Register
                              Productivity: Policies Now
                              Productivity: Family Tree Maker
                              Game: Jeopardy
                              Game: Cyborgirl Pinball
                              Accouting: Quicken QuickBooks
                              Programming: Turbo Pascal
                              Programming: Turbo Assembler
                              Game: Space Invaders
                              Game: Space Invaders 78
                              Game: Monopoly
                              Game: PacMan
                              Music: Voyetra Sequencer Plus Pro MIDI

I would say the killer app right now to do with a 8088 is to run Jim Leonard's 8088 domination demo. It's basically running color full motion video in your IBM PC. You can also get the utility and render any video with sound that you wish. I really want my own 8088 to do this.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63591

Comment

Working...
                              X