• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What uses a 287 co processor.

moijk

I've aquired a 287 co processor. not sure if it is the original or later models. Just curious what actually uses that? I just like hardware, so whatever fits on my boards goes on my boards. ;)

I was thinking what kind of software that utilized them. anything.. fun? ;)

but anyway. it is a 10mhz one. does it matter what kind of 286 I use it with? I got 8, 10 and 12mhz models. Maybe other speeds too, I take what I'm given or what is available at a cheap price locally ;)

If you mean software, it's mostly CAD stuff, math packages, spreadsheets.
Hardly ever vintage games - Mobygames only finds 7 pre-1995 games with FPU support.

The only game I ever found that used the x87 floating point was a shareware game called Begins. Fun game - based on the old Trek73 but a lot more fun.

I'm not sure about the 287 specifically but I heard SimCity classic uses the fpu, I dissasembled it and sure enough it uses a bunch of FPU instructions, not sure exactly why yet though.

EDIT: after a little research it seems the 80287 didn't add that many extra features over the 8087, So I doubt much software supported it specifically.

Last edited:
BTW, I think the most interesting game which took advantage of FPU was Scorched Earth.
Its trajectory calculations were very realistic, and included many variables: gravity, wind, air viscosity, etc., so a coprocessor was very useful indeed.

Interesting that nobody mentioned Lotus 1-2-3 or SuperCalc, etc.

For many users, these were the primary reason to buy an NDP. I guess that tastes change. :(

It seemed to me at that time that the most popular was AppleWorks because early //es were going cheap, there was no copy protection, and then everyone that wanted a spreadsheet had one.

Back