• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Did Curiosity kill the AT&T 6300?

blaknift

Hello everyone! I recently acquired a 6300 In fantastic condition. When I got it home I plugged it in to see if it was functional. To my pleasure it fired right up and It let out a pleasant beep. At that point I figured the machine was still functional and went ahead and ordered a Keyboard and the necessary components to build a VGA adapter cable. Fast forward a week or so to today. I built the cable and got the keyboard.

She works perfectly! Boots straight into Windows 1.03. No color from the screen in windows but is working inside the programs, cool!
I messed around in windows and DOS for a bit. I decided I wanted to find a way to get some software copied. I only have 1 5.25" Piece of software, which is Wheel of Fortune. I figured I would be able to take one of the drives out and put it inside my windows 98 machine, and write a few games over onto some blank disks I had. I opened the case and consulted the Service manual on how to get the drive cage out. I popped it out and unplugged all the connectors.

I disconnected the Hard drive and took it out, Placed it gently off to the side and continued analyzing the drive cage. At this point I decided I would be better off leaving them as they were and ordering a drive to put in 98 machine, so I didn't run the risk of damaging any of the drives. I slid the Hard drive back into the cage and screwed it back in, just as it was before I pulled it out. I placed the cage back into the rails and plugged everything back in.

As I was sliding the drive cages back in it sort of plopped down into place, not incredibly hard, but hard enough for me to notice and make sure I didn't damage anything. I made sure everything was plugged back in and popped the power cable into the computer and turned it on before I put the top of the case back on.

I'm no longer getting into windows. It simply hangs on the screen pictured below. I unplugged the machine, figuring I must have put a connector back on backwards. I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in, making sure that everything was connected as it should be. Making sure all the numbers on the drives and the edge connectors matched.

No luck, Still the exact same screen. I have no way to write to a 5.25" floppy, and no other software to boot to.

The hard drive isn't making any different noises than it did before. I can hear it spooling up and everything. Doesn't sound like the head is crashing at all or anything like that.

Have I killed the thing? Anyone have any tips or anything I should try? I hate to throw this thing on a shelf and forget about after all I have been through with it. Thanks!

18362334_1533319606699439_836246221_o.jpg20170427_193759.jpg20170427_193752.jpg20170427_193733.jpg20170427_182519.jpg20170427_182357.jpg20170427_182347.jpg20170427_182331.jpg

Hopefully not. Double check the data cables for the hard disk on both ends. Also, there is the potential of not having the drive parked appropriately... and might need to connect it to another system and run some MFM (if that is what it is) disk checking tools.

Wow, I posted this Friday around 9pm est and it finally showed up. :mad: Hopefully this reply makes it up quicker.

All the cables appear to be hooked up correctly between the drive and the hard card. I'm not quite sure if there is someway for me to bypass the hard card, I have no other interface cards for hard drives, so I'm not sure if I have any way to hook it up to another system. Everything worked flawlessly before I messed with it. It was reading everything off the disk with 0 issues.

Back