• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

286 and lowest

amico

I have some 286 pc's with broken floppy drive.
286 pc's have ESDI hard disk and floppy disk,cannot replace with an IDE floppy drive,as 386 and higher.
How to communicate to newest pc's,with floppy drive broken?
New pc's have internet access,to download good software for older pc's,but,if floppy drive is broken,old pc can't read floppy disk written in a new pc.
I have downloaded Picture Viewer,this program (http://www.multimediaware.com/pv/index.htm) permit at 8086 pc to display jpg in ega or vga quality. :D
From release notes: "You need an AT compatible computer with an EGA, VGA, SuperVGA or 8514/A
compatible graphic adapter. Your computer should have a hard disk and at least
512KB RAM."

The question is how to transfer files to a computer with a broken floppy drive, if it is of a kind that is not easily replaceable (and has a hard disk interface that is not supported in other computers). Is it possible to set up a null modem or something like that, perhaps from a Basic program? By the way, is there a such thing as an IDE floppy or is that a misconception based on the 34-pin header for 3.5" drives vs the card-edge one for 5.25" drives?

new pc cannot have a serial port...

5.25 drives is another problem.
how to connect old pc with new with null cable connection?
in addition,i have linux,i' don't use windows

If you have 286 PCs, you can use an IDE controller. I use an IDE controller in my IBM AT, which is the first 286PC. You may need to download a DISK OVERLAY program if your BIOS does not support larger harddrives.
There is also a high possibility that your 286 also supports 1.44meg floppy drives. You should enter the BIOS setup and see if support for 1.44meg floppies is present. I believe that most 286 systems had this feature. If this is the case, you can use new 1.44meg drives on your old 286 systems.

However, if you are running an IBM PS/1, PS/2, Tandy or other proprietary hardware, you might not be able to do either of these things.

5.25 drives is another problem.
how to connect old pc with new with null cable connection?
in addition,i have linux,i' don't use windows

New PC cannot eh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Se...1QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41995QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NOT quite accurate me thinks. A new PC can almost always have a USB serial port or a PCI serial port (usually) the pci variety is better than a usb counterpart as it can usually operate under dos.

Interlink/interserver will allow you to use a parallel port on both PCs assuming you can get interserver onto the old computer.

I can't vouch for amico, but it is not uncommon to use the words "can not have" as a synonym for "does not have", at least if English is your secondary language and you're not so fluent.

Back