Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

5150 Case Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5150 Case Ideas?

I'm tossing around the idea of building one of the PC-Retro DIY boards. The problem is that I don't have a case for the unit. I know that the 5150 has a cassette port and I think I remember hearing that the ISA card spacing is different than the standard AT case format.

Two questions - Would the 5150 board sans the cassette port fit and line up in a 5160 or XT clone case? I don't really see the need for the cassette port, so could leave it unpopulated to make my search for a case easier. Secondly, what is the ISA port spacing difference, how hard would it be to shoehorn it into a standard AT tower?

Or, if anyone has a 5150 case lying around they wouldn't mind letting go of for peanuts + shipping, that would work too. UPS shipping shouldn't be more than $30 or so. I just can't see myself spending ebay prices on a case for this potential build, when I'm already going to shell out way more than the finished product is worth to build it and make it work. I have zero PC/XT parts on hand as it stands.

Lastly, homebrew case ideas would be welcome!
    Last edited by zombienerd; June 17, 2017, 06:01 PM.
    Twitter: @adambrisebois
    Discord: YesterGearPC#0001
    Youtube: YesterGearPC

Originally posted by zombienerd View Post
    I'm tossing around the idea of building one of the PC-Retro DIY boards. The problem is that I don't have a case for the unit. I know that the 5150 has a cassette port and I think I remember hearing that the ISA card spacing is different than the standard AT case format.

Two questions - Would the 5150 board sans the cassette port fit and line up in a 5160 or XT clone case?
    Not even the keyboard DIN connector lines up. See comparison photo at [here].

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
      Not even the keyboard DIN connector lines up. See comparison photo at [here].
      Fun times. Guess it's 5150 or bust.. Or build something from scratch.

Comment

A home brew case would be a piece of cake for me, but it wouldn't look like a 5150 unless I somehow get enough cash to sell my pan brake and buy a press brake and all the necessary tooling, which I don't see happening.
        Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

I have a spare 5150 motherboard if you are interested.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
          IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
          Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

Originally posted by lutiana View Post
            I have a spare 5150 motherboard if you are interested.
            Doesn't he have the board?

Isn't he looking for the case?
            PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
              Doesn't he have the board?

Isn't he looking for the case?
              O right, I totally mis-read the original post. Ignore me then.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
              IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
              Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

As its a homebrew motherboard, you could go ultra-low budget and build a wooden box. Lots of homebrew systems have been built out of wood. This guy built a 5150-ish case, although he seems to have used parts from an ATX case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLoO5tI5cQ

The slot spacing. You *may* be able to mount the board in one of those low-profile AT cases, and use the riser-board for the slots. You probably would have to move every motherboard stand-off to get the one ISA slot to line up, and drill a new hole for the keyboard port. I have on occasion used a case screw to tap holes for new stand-offs. If you drill the right sized hole, and go slow, the heads don't break off that often.

Alternatively you could just mount the whole motherboard to a piece of steel, and stick some kind of plastic cover over it. Or instead of steel a nice piece of hardwood. There are also lots of steel/aluminum project boxes. Some would be great for a 19" rack-mount piece of hardware.

Another thing that might work is to just secure the ISA card back-plates with a stack of motherboard stand-offs. As far as I can tell there would be room with the 5150 slot spacing. Any gaps between the back-plates, you can justify as "ventilation". I think that's what I would do, as fabbing up a 5-slot back-plate mount is going to be a real pain. If you are gong to cut steel I would highly recommend a nibbler and a straight-edge.

If you want to justify massive gaps in your case, just take a look at the TRS-80!
                EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Comment

I wouldn't use a nibbler. Mark the line you want to cut with a scribe and cut with a cutoff wheel.

With practice, you can cut very very straight, and you can easily end up with a perfect edge.

If you have a bandsaw or jigsaw, rough your cuts with that first.

Comment

A nibbler, particularly a power one can make very clean and exacting cuts--doesn't raise burrs like a saw does.. I use one on occasion.

Doing one on an EDM would be a piece of cake, but that's not likely to be found in the average home shop.
                    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Waterjet would be even easier not to mention faster. If you can get the cutting head, a pressure washer and cheapo CNC router can be turned into one. Get your checkbook out, don't forget the garnet.

I've never had success cutting perfect lines with a nibbler. Sure it can be done, but one hiccup and you've got a disaster. Cutting to a scribe line by hand with a die grinder and cutoff wheel or sanding disc is hard to mess up, with patience.

Maybe every nibbler I've used was dull and undersized, I don't know. I've avoided them for decades due to bad experiences. I've cut some amazingly straight and square lines with a die grinder.

Comment

I'm quite handy with a dremel and masking tape. I was considering Acrylic now.. Lot of work to build a case from scratch, but would look really neat when it was done.

Comment

You could probably use a 5160 case or clone there of and cut out the rear panel and make one of your own. That way you don't have to make the whole thing. I think the mounting of the motherboard is the same. Just the rear panel is different.

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                            Maybe every nibbler I've used was dull and undersized, I don't know. I've avoided them for decades due to bad experiences. I've cut some amazingly straight and square lines with a die grinder.
                            Most of my nibbler work has been with nonferrous metals, so that could be another issue. I've even modified a nibbler to cut "dragon's teeth" for joint sheet metal.

After all, there's no particular need to make the expansion bracket out of steel. Brass might look pretty sexy.
                            Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

I've got a big enough piece of copper sheet I could sell him.

Comment

Working...
                              X