• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kits for Retro Canada's MDA/EGA/CGA to VGA Converter

Plasma

Veteran Member
I want some of these, so I'm going to order parts unless somebody else already has.

I can put together unassembled kits for around $55 + shipping (~$10 USA, $25-35 others). Would include the FPGA board, blank PCB, and all components. May also include a byte blaster if the low-cost clones work ok. Regardless I will pre-program the FPGA.

Reply with quantity if you are interested.

Last edited:
Put me down for two kits!! Thanks for taking this on. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Greg

Now we need to figure out how to pay for these so that Plasma doesn't get stuck holding the bag! Hopefully, once he determines an accurate price, he'll post it, here and tell us how to pay him.

Greg

I'd like one too please. Assuming payment is through PayPal or something similar.

I'm in New Zealand (but USPS has always been fine for sending here), however if that's an issue I have a US address that can be used and I'll just get it forwarded over here.

I want some of these, so I'm going to order parts unless somebody else already has.

I can put together unassembled kits for around $55 + shipping (~$10). Would include the FPGA board, blank PCB, and all components except the USB Blaster II (I will pre-program the FPGA). US only. Reply with quantity if you are interested.

I'm in Australia but would love an unassembled kit please?

Ps USPS to Australia is very reliable, I use it all the time.

I can put together unassembled kits for around $55 + shipping (~$10). Would include the FPGA board, blank PCB, and all components except the USB Blaster II (I will pre-program the FPGA). US only. Reply with quantity if you are interested.

hey, can you wait few more days ? I'm finishing a version 2.0 where I changed the voltage dividers by a level shifter 74LVC245. Some EGA boards have slow switching between low and high voltages what caused some black pixel fringes around yelow text over blue for example. This requires a new PCB board. I have one assembled and is working good with these slow EGA.

The new version solves this problems but I'd like to test it more. Also I adding 4 push buttons and making the output 4-bit instead of 3-bit what is better to emulate amber color. But you can order the Core4EPCE6 units already.

If you really want to make it easy, replace that SMD static ram chip on the back with a through hole equivalent. My old eyes and shaky hands have a hard time with SMD parts.

Greg

I couldn't get any 16-bit 8ns Static RAM other than SMD.

No matter how good is your vision I will need a magnifier and flux. Also a chiseled solder tip.

hey, can you wait few more days ? I'm finishing a version 2.0 where I changed the voltage dividers by a level shifter 74LVC245. Some EGA boards have slow switching between low and high voltages what caused some black pixel fringes around yelow text over blue for example. This requires a new PCB board. I have one assembled and is working good with these slow EGA.

The new version solves this problems but I'd like to test it more. Also I adding 4 push buttons and making the output 4-bit instead of 3-bit what is better to emulate amber color. But you can order the Core4EPCE6 units already.

Sure I will wait. Let us know when it's to your satisfaction. Also I noticed some recent code commits for aspect ratio correction. Does this have to do with the image being "squashed" when using color borders?

I'm in Australia but would love an unassembled kit please?

Ps USPS to Australia is very reliable, I use it all the time.

Priority Mail International is $35 to Australia...if you are willing to pay that, plus whatever import duties, then I will ship to you. I won't fudge the value on the customs form.

Now we need to figure out how to pay for these so that Plasma doesn't get stuck holding the bag! Hopefully, once he determines an accurate price, he'll post it, here and tell us how to pay him.

Greg

Actually I would prefer to not accept any money until I've bought the parts and put one together to verify there are no problems. The cost will also be more accurate that way. I just needed a ballpark on quantity. When they are ready I will accept paypal.

Back