• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Turbo XT"

Jackson

Experienced Member
TurboXT.jpg

This originally came with an RLL controller. I was told to throw the hard drive out before buying it due to personal data issues. Swap the Turbo MGP with a real IBM CGA card, add on a parallel port, give it an SCSI drive, and uh, well.... tada? It looks very mismatched. The more progress furthers, the more I'll post pictures.

What's weird about this machine is that while it had a dedicated high density drive controller, drive 1 was jumpered to "1.44M" while the drive was actually 720K! This meant that the drive always had constant stability issues due to reading at an unreliable data rate; there are less issues now when I corrected the jumpers. However, often from time to time, the first cylinder still gets corrupted. Not sure if it's my only white 720K diskette that's being unstable by any means, DOS, or the drive just, well..... hating it.

If you're going to ask me about the AT&T 6300, that's still a work in progress :) I need to find the schematics for the color monitor to see what happened to my beloved monitor.

And of course the forum's image uploader is being stupid, let's get to the chase:
https://imgur.com/a/OiP0H

P.S: Does anyone know where these cases come from? I saw the same one a while back in a 286 computer with a special badge on it. Alas, I would have taken both, but I chose to take only the XT instead.

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/a/TaoZk

Aaand the computer gets a more proper Gorilla monitor. Hey, it's not color, but it's very sharp. And it has horizontal positioning! Something that the AppleColor monitor could never do. :eek: To be fair, the CGA card with an AppleColor monitor could never do color as well. No idea if it's just the quartz crystal being flaky. The AppleColor also had weird problems where a color could throw the whole screen off.

Last edited:
P.S: Does anyone know where these cases come from? I saw the same one a while back in a 286 computer with a special badge on it. Alas, I would have taken both, but I chose to take only the XT instead.
I also used to have a case like that. A fairly nice compact case for baby-AT form motherboards.

This was another generic Taiwanese case that was sold through multiple budget parts vendors. I'm thinking mine may have been purchased through JDR Microdevices.

Back