Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM 5160 smoking PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM 5160 smoking PSU

I got me a pretty IBM XT 5160 yesterday.
    It's been on someone's attic for 1 or 2 decades...
    So I take the thing apart, 5151 included, cleaned the outside and remove all the dust from the inside.
    Everything looked just fine, all the parts are perfect and shiny.
    So I hook it up, power it up and than there is that smell.
    That smell of you did something bad, you let the smoke out!
    I traced the source of the smoke leak to the PSU and guess what?
    The transformer melted on one side!

I expected some issues with caps or the likes but not the tranny melting?
    Isn't that supposed to be the most solid piece in the PSU?
    Anybody else had similar issues?
    The PSU was an ASTEC AA12151.

I guess I need to get myself a replacement power supply.
    Any suggestions anyone?

The most expensive and hard to find piece, Some manufactures include multiple fuses / fusistors to protect the transformers but if one goes short there's not a lot you can do unless you can find another suitable transformer. PSU's suitable for the 5160 do appear on ebay or some people have gone the transplant route, Find yourself a suitable AT or ATX PSU and transplant the innards into the 5160 PSU case.

Comment

I'm going through a big lot of equipment from a recent pick-up and actually have a PC/XT 63.5W supply, in the box that its replacement came in. Supply tests OK on my D'Asaro Designs load tester, and also runs a 5160 640K motherboard just fine. PM me if you need it, it may be too expensive to ship depending on where you're located. Do note that you'll want a higher wattage supply if you're going to run an old MFM hard disk (I suspect that's why this one was replaced).
      Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Believe it or not, you can buy one through Amazon.
        Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

OK so here's the offending tranny.
          I pulled the plug as soon as I smelled trouble, which was right about after HDD drive spin up completed.
          As you can see damage is not that bad, but black goo started to come out together with some smoke and that smell.

Is it beyond repair?

Secondly, if my math is correct wouldn't I need a 130W replacement PSU? :

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
            Believe it or not, you can buy one through Amazon.
            Thats 63,5W PSU, its little bit risky connect it to the 5160 system with FHT HDD.
            IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155: IBM PC Expansion Unit 5161:
            WANTED!: IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM PC/XT/AT rear screws, Intel INBOARD 386AT card, IBM 5140 keyboard, very early IBM PC (S/N: under 5000)
            My IBM PC hardware collection

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie250 View Post
              OK so here's the offending tranny.
              I pulled the plug as soon as I smelled trouble, which was right about after HDD drive spin up completed.
              As you can see damage is not that bad, but black goo started to come out together with some smoke and that smell.

Is it beyond repair?

Secondly, if my math is correct wouldn't I need a 130W replacement PSU? :
              You could probably have the transformer rewound; but the cost will far exceed that of a complete replacement power supply.

Also yes you probably need a 130W if you are running a HDD. Some people have had success using a 63W but the results are sketchy at best.
              System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Comment

damn. A blown transformer is probably the only part of a PSU (and pcb) that is not feasibly replaceable. Literally anything else can easily be found and replaced. Also, in my experiences transformers generally don't go bad, something makes them fail.

I can't think of the phrase right now, but I would consider that PSU beyond economical repair. Can we get a few pictures of the damage? It might not be as bad is it has been made out to be.
                It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

AT supplies are still being made. This one should spin your hard drives pretty well. Should be trivial to repackage the thing.
                  Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Here it is :

You can see it has deformed underneath the copper foil and the goo coming out the side.
                    I'm not familiar with the schematics of the power supply but since it's not a switched power supply I'm guessing :
                    -mains power is connected to one side (230V in my case)
                    -a rectifier of some sorted on the other
                    -followed by some caps to stabilize the voltage
                    -and then some other parts to split up the voltage into usable levels. (-12, -5, 5 & 12)

What do you guys think?
                    Bin it? Of fix it?

Comment

I'd replace the unit. Or do what chuck suggests, and put a "new" supply into the old shell. It sounds like a fun project to be honest.

Comment

Looking at the photo it doesn't look blown, deformation under the copper foil is normal. I've never had a switch mode supply where the main transformer died, the feedback transformer in an apple supply yes but never the main one.
                        Is the goo you describe wet?
                        Could it have come from another component?
                        For instance when the RIFA caps blow they spray dark brown goo everywhere.
                        There is no goo inside that transformer to leak out. Just insulated copper wire on a plastic form and lacquer to hold the windings in place.

I'd be looking elsewhere for the fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie250 View Post
                          ...I'm not familiar with the schematics of the power supply but since it's not a switched power supply I'm guessing :
                          What do you guys think?
                          I think it's a switching supply; what makes you think it isn't?
                          Bin it? Of fix it?
                          Replace it, unless you find a short that only overheated the transformer without actually seriously damaging it.

m

Comment

I would also be looking elsewhere. I second you've mistaken a bad conformal coated transformer for blown RIFA's. It's rare for transformers to just randomly burn up.

Or, since we know what the fault is and it's supposedly non-repairable, hang a load off it and plug er- right back in for some fireworks.
                            [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

word of caution, the magic smoke takes DAYS to fully dissappear. i popped a transistor last week or so. stank my garage up for almost 3 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X