• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T1000SE laptop issue

herregaarden

Hello

I have an old Toshiba T1000SE 8088 laptop that does not turn on.
What happens when i try to turn it on, the screen flashes for about 1 second with 2 black lines on the screen(see picture 1) and switches off again and the power led flashes.
I opened it up and found 1 cap that had leaked(220uf,25v,next to the BAT connector,picture2), so i cleaned the board up and changed the cap, but it made no diffrence.

I messured the PSU and it puts out a solid 12v(input 220v), i also tried another PSU with no difference.
I have very little experience with electronics, and do not have any tools like a scope.

Does anyone know what i should try next?
Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 18.42.06.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg

Last edited:
You could at least find out if there is 5 Volt present at the board. If it isn't, then there is something wrong with the internal power converter. With a scope you could see if there is happening something at the various lines. Another trick: replace the (EP)ROM with one containing you own program; you can start with something simple that does something with the LPT port. If the LPT port doesn't do what you expected, good luck.

Another thought: does it boot from floppy or do you hear at least seeking noises?

Kind regards, Ruud

Thank you for your reply, i should have said that when i try to turn it on and the screen flashes it turns off again right away and the power led begins to flash.
I have very little experience with electronics, and do not have tools like a scope.

Hi, hope I can post to the thread (new member).

I have an SE also, did the same thing. It needs a valid charged battery. It's a simple NiCad battery pack (6xAA NiCad). I did manage to get mine booted just yesterday with the original battery (not kidding). I did jury-rig the backup battery under the keyboard with an external 2xAA NiCad battery holder. I do have an external 6xAA battery holder I can press into service but I haven't figure out anything more. Mine boots but the backlight is out so it's really hard to read.

I did work past the blinking red light (battery issues) and was able to boot with the steady red and steady yellow. I just pulled the battery and power after a full charge, wait for red light to go out and plugged everything back in.

Hi guys!

I have recently acquired a T1000SE. It is phisically in quite good condition, however it does not turn on.
It has the same symptoms: When I plug in power, red DC IN and orange battery lights come on. If I press the power button, three green LEDs flash for half a second(fdd also makes a click sound), then it shuts off and red DC IN blinks. I have measured, main battery is not perfect, but it holds some charge (6.5V after one day). CMOS battery took charge, but holds only 1.3V, sub battery(the little stick) is completely dead, holds about 1V for a few minutes. Now I have tried giving power to main and sub battery terminals from an adjustable power supply, but still the same result. Then disassembled the machine and changed all electrolytic caps(most of them were leaking), and still does the same blinking red light...

Anyone has any idea what could be the fault here? It would be a real shame, since the laptop is in a really nice shape and also has the 1MB memory expansion card. :cry:

Back