• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I killed my XT Motherboard, need some local help

KLund1

Veteran Member
Well I though I could do it but I guess I think my skills are better then they actually are!

I wanted to replace the 8080 on a XT board I recently got with a new version. I used a IC puller, but it would not move. I used a small flathead to loosen each end. But the plastic of the socket just crumbled under the slight pressure. I pulled out the cpu, and out came many of the pin holders, and some plastic. Great! the socket needs to be replaced. NO problem, I thought, I've done this many times on my Atari 8-bity equipment. I reheated each pin to reflow the solder. Then used a solder sucker to remove the old solder. The socket parts came out without much trouble. I then used some solder braid to clean up the holes.
I put in a new socket, and the proceeded to solder it in. I looked things over with a magnifying glass and all seemed to look ok. I removed a couple small solder slivers. Ran a small flathead between my solder points just be sure. Then cleaned up with some ISO and a toothbrush. Put things back together, CPU oriented correctly, psu, video card, and booted to test. NOTHING. It was working before I messed with it. recheck, test check again, test, nothing. I think I killed it with my soldering skills.
Is there anyone in the CA south SF Bay Area that might be willing to take a look?

Do you have an ohm meter? I would suggest beeping out the pins on your new socket. Check the traces going to that socket also. One of them might have broken when you pulled the chip and things came apart. Use a 10x loop and lots of light and look over things real good. Broken traces are easy to fix if you can find the culprit. Good luck! Of coarse, that is a multi layer board. So, if the damage is on an internal layer, it will be more difficult. You may need a schematic. Is that an IBM board or a clone?

But the plastic of the socket just crumbled under the slight pressure. I pulled out the cpu, and out came many of the pin holders, and some plastic.
If the socket and pins were that horribly bad, I would strongly suspect many, many other problems with the board.

If the socket and pins were that horribly bad, I would strongly suspect many, many other problems with the board.

I think SomeGuy is probably right! If the socket was that badly corroded, that motherboard must have been subjected to some very corrosive stuff. Maybe mouse turds and piss? Also, I assume you meant to type 8088? Not 8080?

One other thing. I like to use liquid flux when replacing a chip or socket on an old board. Things get corroded over time and in the process of de-soldering, things can get dirty making a good solder connection a little more tricky than with new parts.

Last edited:
Back