• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Find RAM on IBM PC

Use CHKDSK as Mike said.
It reports the total and free memory in the system (as well as checking your file system).

Code:
A>[B]debug[/B]

-[B]a100[/B]
2E68:0100 [B]int 12[/B]
2E68:0102 [B]int 3[/B]
2E68:0103
-[B]g=100[/B]
AX=0280  BX=0000  CX=0000  DX=0000  SP=FFFE  BP=0000  SI=0000  DI=0000
DS=2E68  ES=2E68  SS=2E68  CS=2E68  IP=0102   NV UP EI PL NZ NA PO NC

The value in AX is the size of memory in kilobytes (so AX=0280 means 280h, 640 decimal).

CHKDSK reports 640KB. No need to upgrade this puppy!

Too much for pure IBM PC. I hate waiting 50 seconds from power on to boot when 640k is fitted. From my experiences, if you have only two floppies, 256k is enough to run anything on IBM PC. If you have hard drive, 512k is enough.

Time is money! :p
Ok seriously for what do you need 640k of RAM on IBM PC with two floppies and no hard drive?

Ok seriously for what do you need 640k of RAM on IBM PC with two floppies and no hard drive?

So you can run Windows 2.0 from floppy disk, of course!

(Well, OK, it technically only required 512K of RAM, but close enough -- and it was the last version of Windows you could run from floppy disks.)

Seriously, for a RAM disk. A swap heavy program like UCSD Pascal will perform much better if the executable is located in a RAM disk. No RAM disk and every time one changes modes, there will be a delay long enough to get coffee or other consumable.

640kB with just a floppy was a fairly common system in the late 80s as Turbo XTs were transformed into network clients though those might count as having an external hard disk albeit on a longer cable.

There are two good answers to these and many similar "Why do you....." questions.

1. Because I want to.

2. Because it makes me happy.

I dont restrict nobody, it was only my opinion. Its your computer, its up to you. I have on my rev.A IBM PC only 128k of memory and its pretty enought for that time software...

For the same reason someone buys a Ferrari with a zillion HP and is only allowed to drive a limited speed. (Unless you live in Germany)

Back