Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Diagnosing a non-booting 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosing a non-booting 5150

I bought a 5150 off ebay last week, I think I got it for a reasonably good deal. It was in "powers-up" condition, which in eBay-speak often doesn't mean a whole lot. That's fine, as I'm always looking for a project. When powered on the first time, there's no visible or audible indication of anything happening, other than the fan spinning at what seems to be a normal fan speed. I haven't checked PSU voltages yet, i'm going to check PSU voltages today after work.

I pulled the installed video card and installed a known-working-in-8bit VGA card. A few more attempts didn't boot, but finally I did get a boot that had one long beep and two short beeps followed by the VGA BIOS displayed on screen. I was able to reproduce that a few times. The beeps were likely due to SW1 being configured for MDA while I had installed a VGA adapter. However, after correcting the switches (and putting them back to the way they were several times), I haven't been able to reproduce this success. No beeps. No VGA output.

My plan is to follow the diagnostics at minuszerodegrees.net, but I had a few questions.

First, the video card this thing came with says "Video-7 1985" on the back. It has a MC6845P. There's a single 9-pin female din. No composite connector. It has an onboard 2732. Can someone confirm whether this is a MDA adapter, or something else? ETA: FCC ID is D2A62LMGA, leading me to believe it is monochrome.

Second, I've ordered an adapter so I can burn a 26xx diagnostic ROM and put it on the motherboard in place of the BIOS. My understanding is these diagnostic ROMs work with MDA, CGA, and sometimes EGA, but definitely not VGA. That means if I want to go that route I'm going to have to find some way to convert MDA or CGA into something I can view on a modern LCD. I got rid of my last multisync monitor a decade or two ago. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Should I just buy on eBay a CGA card that has composite output?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by smbaker; March 16, 2018, 08:32 AM.

Originally posted by smbaker View Post
    First, the video card this thing came with says "Video-7 1985" on the back. It has a MC6845P. There's a single 9-pin female din. No composite connector. It has an onboard 2732. Can someone confirm whether this is a MDA adapter, or something else? ETA: FCC ID is D2A62LMGA, leading me to believe it is monochrome.
    Could you post a photo?

Given Video 7's products, I would think enhanced CGA or EGA, or even combo MDA switchable. Sounds like an interesting card.

Second, I've ordered an adapter so I can burn a 26xx diagnostic ROM and put it on the motherboard in place of the BIOS. My understanding is these diagnostic ROMs work with MDA, CGA, and sometimes EGA, but definitely not VGA. That means if I want to go that route I'm going to have to find some way to convert MDA or CGA into something I can view on a modern LCD. I got rid of my last multisync monitor a decade or two ago. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Should I just buy on eBay a CGA card that has composite output?
    Video connection wise, composite CGA would be the least complicated. Keep in mind that later clone CGA cards (especially the small Taiwanese ones with everything in one chip) will usually output composite on one of the RGB port pins even if they don't have an RCA port.

I don't have real experience with these diagnostics chips, but wouldn't a VGA card in "Pure CGA" emulation work? I guess that would depend if the VGA card still needed to initialize things through its BIOS, which the diagnostic roms wont do. If it did work, then a normal VGA monitor could be used.

Edit: after thinking about it for a few minutes, now I remember trying a trick like that on a machine with a BIOS that didn't support VGA, and that trick didn't work. So probably wouldn't work here.
    Last edited by SomeGuy; March 16, 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Here's a picture of the Video-7 card.

video7mga.jpg

After playing with the PC a bit during lunch, I found that the VGA card works sporadically, almost to the point of not working at all, in slot 2 on the motherboard. This is the same slot the Video-7 card came out of. Most of the time the PC won't boot. Rarely it will give the "no video card" installed beep. Even more rarely it'll actually boot up. The card works fine in any other slot on the motherboard.

I'm not sure if this suggests a problem with the edge card connector itself, or a problem with the soldering between the edge card connector and the motherboard. I haven't taken the motherboard out to look at the underside yet.

I also ordered myself one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-A...72.m2749.l2649, on the assumption it would be nice to have a way to display MDA and CGA on my LCD. As I understand, while this thing says it converts "CGA" and "EGA", it's talking analog signals, not digital, and I'll need an external DAC. A DAC for monochrome doesn't sound that difficult.

Scott

Comment

I also ordered myself one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-A...72.m2749.l2649, on the assumption it would be nice to have a way to display MDA and CGA on my LCD. As I understand, while this thing says it converts "CGA" and "EGA", it's talking analog signals, not digital, and I'll need an external DAC. A DAC for monochrome doesn't sound that difficult.
        FYI. Member Retro Canada recently designed a complete 'MDA/EGA/CGA to VGA Converter' (MCE2VGA). See [here].

Comment

See the Retro Canada project mentioned previously. Also, I've had good success with a gglabs CGA2RGB TTL-to-analog converter connected to the gonbes you ordered.
          Offering a bounty for:
          - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
            FYI. Member Retro Canada recently designed a complete 'MDA/EGA/CGA to VGA Converter' (MCE2VGA). See [here].
            Shameless thread hijack here!! I still have some of Retro Canada's MCE2VGA converters for sale. Fully assembled and tested. Send me a PM if interested!!

OK, you can have your thread back now

Comment

Thanks! I can see more boards being added to my next pcb order...

Comment

Still having some fun with my new old 5150... I've noticed that I can't get it to boot from XT-CF-Lite or from a DiskOnChip. In the XT-CF-Lite case, it says it's booting "C", pauses a second then goes off an boots "A". With either of these, if I do boot from the floppy the drive letter is there, C:, but I get an error when trying to access it.

Is it the case that the 5150 BIOS doesn't support hard drives?

Comment

If it didn't support hard drives, then you would not see it attempting to boot from C at all. It sounds more like the CD card is not partitioned and formatted properly.

Boot from a floppy and go through the steps of running FDISK, creating/recreating any partition, and formatting.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                    If it didn't support hard drives, then you would not see it attempting to boot from C at all. It sounds more like the CD card is not partitioned and formatted properly.
                    The CF card and the DiskOnChip both boot fine in another machine. I will point fdisk at it and see what it thinks is there.

Comment

Mystery solved. The dip switches on the motherboard were configured for three floppies.

Life makes more sense now.

Comment

Mystery solved. The dip switches on the motherboard were configured for three floppies.
                        Life makes more sense now.
                        I have that issue listed at [here] for the VCF's XT-IDE.
                        Yet to experiment with DOS version.

Comment

......Yet to experiment with DOS version.
                          I just changed the dip switch settings from 2 floppy drives to 3 then 4 floppy drives on my IBM 5160 with 1/10/86 bios, Original Rev 1 XTIDE Card with XUB R591 running DOS 6.22, On both occasions i get as expected a 601 error and pres F1 to continue, I press F1 and it continues to boot successfully from the CF.

Comment

Working...
                          X