• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable I and II boot & setup disks

KLund1

Veteran Member
I am looking for these disks. Anyone have any suggestions to find files, images, downloads?
I looked at Dave's Old Computers and did not see them there.
Thanks

Sorry I dont have the link at the moment, but Im sure someone here can help. The disk images are out there for all the Compaq portables rest assured. IT wont be hard to find.

But now new problem with the Compaq Portable II.
It was working 3 weeks ago, but needing a setup disk.
I just pulled it out of the closet, to use the disk T-R-A helped me find, and on power up, all I get is consistent beeps. no picture, no num-lock light when pressed. The FD busy light flashes quickly on power up then just the beeps.
Suggestions for trouble shooting??

hows the battery? new or corroded and leaking? Pull all the cards expect the graphics card (make sure its seated properly) run a composite out to another monitor just in case the crt or analog board is the issue. Then try booting.

The portable II is wicked beast. Been working on mine for two years.. It seems it wasnt meant to exist in our world...

Meanwhile the portable 1 just keeps humming along!

The PortableII is a nightmare to work on. Just keep track of all the screws and be patient when working with the RF Cage around it. It does come apart, but again, be patient and very careful when working around the CRT.

understood.
I had previously taken it apart to clean the plastic parts. I also replaced the battery then. Yes there are a lot of screws but most just need to loosened, not removed.
I'll open it up again and double check. And I always sty away from the CRT area.
Many thanks. I'll post my results.

Back