• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KLH 195 286, hard drive question

DennisDC

Wondering if anyone can help me find a hard drive for a KLH 195 286. It does take IDE but I'm having a hard time to find a hard drive for this computer

I’m about to get a KLH 195 in the next week or so. I intend to keep it and all its components, but if you have any questions that I might be able to answer, fire away.

For hard drives, you can cross-reference your FDPT list CHS numbers with something like The Hard Drive Bible to get model numbers of hard drives that will work, then search eBay or wherever for those model numbers.

I’m about to get a KLH 195 in the next week or so. I intend to keep it and all its components, but if you have any questions that I might be able to answer, fire away.

For hard drives, you can cross-reference your FDPT list CHS numbers with something like The Hard Drive Bible to get model numbers of hard drives that will work, then search eBay or wherever for those model numbers.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if you managed to get an external battery working with this computer?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if you managed to get an external battery working with this computer?

I think you must be referring to a different computer. I've actually got lots of vintage computers currently. I don't remember a battery problem with the KLH 195.

For my Dell System 200 286 I was attaching an external battery pack. I got that working. I had to do a lot of soldering because the battery pack contacts seemed to be solder-phobic. But I got that to work.
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/t...y-replacement-not-working?p=969088#post969088

For my JPL tall tower 386, I was able to unsolder the factory barrel battery (the cause of the controller board not seeing the hard drives; the battery acid had dripped and dissolved those traces on the controller board). I got a AA battery pack, put it in the very bottom of the case (so that even if they leak again, it won't be on any components), and connected it to the external battery header on the motherboard. A couple days ago I finally, finally finalized to myself what hardware I did and did not want in the JPL 386, so after 11 months, I finally closed its case and set it up as a true ready-to-use computer at one of my desks. I wrote a bunch of notes in my AUTOEXEC.BAT so I and any other user know what is inside it.

Back