• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Older 80286 packages

David_M

Veteran Member
A few weeks back I was repairing a 5170 motherboard and needed a new CPU in the PGA-68 package, i couldn't find one locally and the best price i could find internationally was about $30. Fortunately I was able to salvage one from non standard board that I will probably never use.

Today it occurred to me that another board I have that gives no POST activity has a dead CPU. This board needs a CPU in a LCC-68 package and they are even more expensive than the PGA packaged CPU's. Because I am not 100% certain the CPU is dead I really didn't want to shell out $35 and wait three weeks for a CPU to arrive.

While I was pondering what to do I checked the underside of the board and realised the LCC socket has the same footprint as a PLCC through hole socket. I then took a look at the underside of the 5170 board and just like the LCC-68 the PGA-68 also matches the PLCC-68 footprint.

I've removed the LCC socket and ordered some PLCC-68 sockets because PLCC packaged 80286's are easy to find and much cheaper, in fact I have one in my parts collection.
I also have another two 286 boards that wont post but they have a PLCC CPU soldered directly onto the board. Once I have the board with the newly fitted PLCC socket working I'll remove those other CPU's and test them in the socketed board.

I learned something new today... pretty good for an old dog like me.

I believe this was discussed years ago either here or on the classiccmp list. The other part is that if you have a board with a PGA68 socket, you can plug a PLCC68 socket right into it.

I think Aries used to market CLCC68 to PLCC68 adapters years ago, but I haven't seen one recently.

I believe this was discussed years ago either here or on the classiccmp list. The other part is that if you have a board with a PGA68 socket, you can plug a PLCC68 socket right into it.

I think Aries used to market CLCC68 to PLCC68 adapters years ago, but I haven't seen one recently.

I have a desoldering station so it wasn't difficult to remove the old socket, I ordered 10 plcc68 sockets on ebay for $6 so the hardest is waiting 3 or 4 weeks to see if it is the CPU at fault.

The only CLCC 80286 CPUs that I've seen have been of the 6 MHz variety. Did they come any faster in that package? I know the 80186 CLCCs could be had in 8MHz.

The only CLCC 80286 CPUs that I've seen have been of the 6 MHz variety. Did they come any faster in that package? I know the 80186 CLCCs could be had in 8MHz.

The one I think is faulty is an AMD 10MHz part. R80286-10/s

According to cpu-world.com AMD made them up to 16MHz and Intel up to 12.5MHz in the package

Back