• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 16(e) 640k option

Lane

I recently picked up a Kaypro 16 and I've been futzing about trying to upgrade it (within the limit of it's four ISA slots). According to the tech manual, the 640k option was a factory upgrade/board swap, but as far as I can tell my floppy/ram/I/O card has sockets for the remaining 128k necessary to bring it up. Per this person's page, their 640k looks to have all the ram ripped off the mainboard and a very slightly different I/O card with three rows (possibly of 256k x 8). Before I go hunting down 64k DIPs, has anyone else tried socketing the remaining memory or is my only option forgoing my floppy drive and replacing the I/O card with a Six Pak? The fourth slot could hold a floppy controller but I'd want to put an XT-IDE in there due to the MFM drive being weird. The drive works but for some reason I can't SYS it with anything but FreeDOS (which isn't a tragedy, but I like options), because even the original 2.11 autostart floppy fails to format /s the drive.

Edit: After looking around, turns out my controller is a WD1002-HDO and there exists a WD1002-05 with a floppy controller. Both share the same 40 pin interface apparently used by quite a few machines from that era. Are there any other controller cards that use that same 40 pin interface?

Last edited:
Back